Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
NorCal Camping

We are driving from Central California to Bend Oregon this June and are looking for a nice place to stopover on the way for one night only. Klamath Falls or a bit south look best. We have a couple with SOB 31" 5th wheel going with us that DO NOT like to boondock so some creature comforts would be desired.

Also, any ideas for the Coeur d'Alene area? On our way to Banff!!

Thanks
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Altamont,
I'm bumping up your post because we have a very similar query...only we don't mind the boondocking at all. We want to take our first "real" trip of a week or ten days in late May and head up to the Oregon coast from where we live on the cenral CA coast. And, like you, we are also thinking of a trip up through Bend--and then on to Hood River.
Any good suggestions out there?
Janet
Old 03-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
NorCal Camping

If you plan on driving towards Klamath Falls then I imagine you might be going on route #97 out of Weed... Just south of Weed at Mt. Shasta City area is Siskiyou Lake Resort. It is a nice area. Their website is a bit funky, but the pictures might show enough information for you.

Lake Siskiyou Camp-Resort

If you want "speed" overnight and quick off the road camping with all the amenities and not so much view/ambiance... then if you continue to Yreka via I-5 you can stay at Yreka RV Park. Right off the interstate all hookups, wifi, etc. Their website shows nice photos, but they are all "travel" distance.

Yreka RV Park

If going "over the hill" on I-5 to Ashland, Oregon there are several nice places, especially at Emigrant Lake Campground. Not sure if they have full hookups... I don't think they have a website:

Emigrant Lake is five miles southeast of Ashland and offers opportunities for camping, picnicing, hiking, fishing, boating, canoeing, sailing and waterskiing. Camping is available in a 44 unit campground with restrooms and showers. Call for dates of operation,current rates and site availability. 541-774-8183

If going more towards Klamath Falls... on Hwy 97 there is a great off the road campground at Juanita Lake. You will drive about 5 miles on a country road and up a hill... they probably only have water for hookups. I don't recall power. NFS campground. Nice spot, especially if you like to fish.

Klamath National Forest Campgrounds

If you travel into Oregon near Klamath Falls there is a wonderful commercial camp area called Lake of the Woods. I am not sure what kind of "hook ups" they do or don't have. We haven't camped there, but have been there for the day.

Welcome to Lake of the Woods Resort - high mountain historic lake resort sits beside one of the clearest natural lakes found in the Southern Oregon Cascades

When in Oregon. All the Oregon State parks are really nice. Usually have water/electric hookups at State parks, and dump stations. Sometimes full hookups.

Be a bit more specific on what route you plan on and I can perhaps give you additional ideas. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Here another option :

Welcome to Railroad Park Resort...

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Hi Altamont,
I'm bumping up your post because we have a very similar query...only we don't mind the boondocking at all. We want to take our first "real" trip of a week or ten days in late May and head up to the Oregon coast from where we live on the cenral CA coast. And, like you, we are also thinking of a trip up through Bend--and then on to Hood River.
Any good suggestions out there? Janet
We are thinking of doing basically the same thing the last week of May and first week of June. We have to be in San Francisco the last weekend of May and then plan on heading up to the Oregon coast......maybe we will see you on the road....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There is a KOA in Coeur d' Alene with lake access

Altamont-

You're going to love the trip to Banff.. Be not afraid of crossing the Canadian Rockies, as passes follow trails found a long time ago and are not very high...

On our trip, we stayed in Pasco WA, and went through Coeur d' Alene (backtracking from I-90) to visit the Resort and have lunch overlooking their marina and the lake... No good parking spots for the Suburban and trailer, but great food and a spectacular resort... I'd try the KOA resort nearby, which looked good, though we didn't stay there.. Good Sam also recommends Wolf Creek Resort in town as good place to stay...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Canada trip planning

Well, so far we are staying at the Railroad RV park in Dunmuir just because we love trains and this looks like fun for one night. In Bend, we are going whole hog and staying at the Crown Villa RV resort and doing some daytriping for one day. Next is Richland WA and the Horn River resort and then up to the Twin Rivers resort out of Bonners Ferry. I know that there is no boondocking but our traveling companions in their SOB want all the amenities. After we hit Canada, we are on our own and I hope to hit some nice parks without reservations that are a bit more rustic and not crowded.

Thanks for you all with the information. What we don't use this time I will use again.

John
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Crown Villa......very nice!

Altamont.....
We stayed at Crown Villa 9/05 on our way to the Steens Mtns. It's the nicest RV park we've ever stayed in (but we traveled 450 miles from Olympic NP to Bend in one day..... so it was warranted)! A good place to stay cuz there's lots to see in the area. If you're a golfer......you're in golfer's Mecca....many great courses to play. If you want to just chill out, go to the City Park on the Deschutes River downtown. Lots of restaurants and leisurely walks along the river with great views. Bend is a fast growing community with lots of recreational opportunities. Enjoy!

Here's a pic of our campsite......nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3880.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	34417  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Thanks Jim and Cheryl. We will be using your advice as we are always looking for good food with our SOB friends.

John
Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Thanks Jim and Cheryl. We will be using your advice as we are always looking for good food with our SOB friends.

John
Since you mention food. Railroad Park has a restaurant in their Motel Area (RV park is further up the hill away from the highway. Food is OK.

If you want really good food, go to Cafe Maddalena's. Chef is a friend but most would agree that this a very nice place. Informal with sophisticated food.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Altamont.....
We stayed at Crown Villa 9/05 on our way to the Steens Mtns. It's the nicest RV park we've ever stayed in (but we traveled 450 miles from Olympic NP to Bend in one day..... so it was warranted)! A good place to stay cuz there's lots to see in the area. If you're a golfer......you're in golfer's Mecca....many great courses to play. If you want to just chill out, go to the City Park on the Deschutes River downtown. Lots of restaurants and leisurely walks along the river with great views. Bend is a fast growing community with lots of recreational opportunities. Enjoy!

Here's a pic of our campsite......nice!
Hi, where's the campground? Looks like you are at Trump Towers or something. Looking at the brick-work.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Nice choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Well, so far we are staying at the Railroad RV park in Dunmuir just because we love trains and this looks like fun for one night.
John
This is one of my brother's favorite spots! I have never stayed there, the closest I have stayed is at the Crags nearby (state park, I think) The Crags were very nice, but noisy! I don't know how close the Railroad RV park is to Interstate 5... so if you ask for reservations you might inquire.

If you love trains you might take an extra day if you have time and check out the Shasta Sunset Dinner Train in McCloud. (Maybe weekends only at this time of year...not sure) It is a beautiful journey. Pricey, but First Class. There is also the little train in Yreka. They have a little train museum at the Yreka train station with model trains.

Have a great trip!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote