Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I ride an adventure bike, so I don't really fit in with anybody. The BMW GS guys will wave at me, the Kawasaki KLR guys and the Suzuki DZ guys wave. The Harley guys either won't wave, or wave while giving me a funny look, like "What the heck kinda thing is he riding anyway!"

When I get my ZX-14, I'll be going too fast to worry about it But for now, I generally wave at all of them.

Same thing with the camper. I don't flash the lights, but we'll wave. Some wave back...generally the families tend to wave back. I've never waved at a Prevost guy. Don't know if he'd wave back or not. Ah well, better to be friendly.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In rural areas, people used to "wave". The wave was raising one finger, usually the index one, while your hand is on the steering wheel. It wasn't the one finger salute. I notice that wave is disappearing and mostly the remaining wavers are guys in pickups.

Many, many years ago when I first moved to a small town in Colorado, some people would say "hello" when I was walking down the street. People I'd never met. Growing up in NYC, I was suspicious and thought, "what does he want"? He was just being friendly. That small town was growing fast and saying hello to strangers stopped shortly after. In those days they had counter checks too; haven't seen that in about 30 years either.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gene, it's funny how whenever I drive out to the country I revert back to doing the 'one finger' steering-wheel wave..I have fond memories of my dad driving around doing that same wave...timeless ;-)

I also recall when I purchased my Safari in Virginia I was driving it back to LA and hardly ANYBODY waved or even looked and the whole time I'm thinking "what's wrong with you people, can't you see that's a freakin' AIRSTREAM back there!! heads should be turnin'! oh well..." I was just so incredibly pumped to be towing my money-hole back home! well...guess I'm just way ahead of the curve ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #64
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My wife always laughs because the waving thing is big in the Jeeping communitiy. If you are on the rural roads in Northern California you will constantly get waved from the oncoming direction. We drive a wrangler and have come to expect it.
When towing the airstream we wave too.. and get thumbs up several times by passerbys..

its a good feeling..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thank goodness I retired to a nice community.....friendly, low crime, etc. It could be because there are a lot of Air Force folks, active and retired.

My wife and I try to walk at least three miles every morning.....most of the time it is when others are heading out to work. People are constantly thowing us a wave as they drive by.....not sure why.....just being friendly I guess.

For the six years that we spent on the Harley, we waved at everyone.....and, most waved back. There was a technique for those that didn't. Most Harley riders don't really wave.....it's more like two fingers (middle and index) down low, to the side. If the other rider does not return the salute, you just bring your hand up and fold the index finger in.....one message instantly becomes another! One time I even returned a salute to an Armadillo that I thought was doing the wave....at least it was on it's back and his feet were in the air....but, I didn't detect much movement. And, who can discount the cows in the pasture that give you the "heads up" wave as you ride by.....of course I always thought they were looking to see if that was a cousin who was part of my leather jacket.

If you want to freak out another biker who waves.....just stand up on the pegs and start waving like crazy.....but, watch out for the sudden swerve! Hey, it's all good!

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
James - The scopes folks have this one wrong. It happened to a close neighbor of mine in Houston's Champions area off FM1960 maybe 7 years ago. The 1st shot broke a rear window, he ducked, 2 more shots went thru the rear door & while ducked down he coasted into a untility pole. He wasn't hit by any bullets and the wreck didn't hurt him. But that is one case of an urban legend being true. My ex-mother in law was shot at (random?) as she drove south on Loop 610. Shattered the front windshield!! I was born & raised in SW Houston (Bellaire) and my last home was in the Champions area. In the 1950's, Houston was a big small town with vehicle parking on Main St. The 1960's brought us the Interstate freeways & urban sprawl. The following 20+ year boom era brought "immigration" (from all over the US, the Far East as well as south of the border). I love the multi-cultural feel of Houston now, but I don't miss the traffic & crime at all .
Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Heck, we Southerners wave at everybody.

Pat
We nod too, but mostly at other Southerners. Others have no clue. Don't ask how we know the difference, we just do.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
It's True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Heck, we Southerners wave at everybody.

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
We nod too, but mostly at other Southerners. Others have no clue. Don't ask how we know the difference, we just do.

Carol
When we lived in Tennessee (our house was on Main Street, in the state's oldest town, which was filled with charming old, and many historic, homes) everyone waved. We also have a home in Arkansas-everyone waves there too-from their vehicles, on their porches, on the sidewalks-everywhere. We were mystified at first, asking each other if we knew the folks waving to us, but quickly got used to it-waving to neighbors and tourists alike whenever we stepped outside our home.

Yes, Southerners are very friendly. Gemma likes to think that if she isn't a Queen of the South, her few years living there qualifies her for at least princess status. She/We like to wave. She/We like sweet tea too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sisters' Row Jonesborough Tennessee.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	95664   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0529.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	95665  

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
When we lived in Tennessee (our house was on Main Street, in the state's oldest town, which was filled with charming old, and many historic, homes) everyone waved. We also have a home in Arkansas-everyone waves there too-from their vehicles, on their porches, on the sidewalks-everywhere. We were mystified at first, asking each other if we knew the folks waving to us, but quickly got used to it-waving to neighbors and tourists alike whenever we stepped outside our home.

Yes, Southerners are very friendly. Gemma likes to think that if she isn't a Queen of the South, her few years living there qualifies her for at least princess status. She/We like to wave. She/We like sweet tea too!
So, Gemma, when we see you in a couple of months do we wave to you or bow......to the Cheese Princess..
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
So, Gemma, when we see you in a couple of months do we wave to you or bow......to the Cheese Princess..
Neil.
Neil,

I'll accept nothing less than a hug from you and Lynn! No need for titles, for me at least. I do like to call Murray, "The Duke of Dairy" because of his love of ice cream. His Majesty/Highness and I will look forward to seeing you at Casini in April!

All the best,

Gemma
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just wave to everyone.

Hi, OK, this wave thing is bringing back some old memories. My first wave thing was when I was a biker, more so with my Honda Goldwing. [Biker waves mostly to other Goldwings or any other large bike] Then it was the old car thing; With my 1959 Ford Galaxie. [Antique car waves to all old cars or anyone who waved to you because you were in the old car] After that I bought a 1978 Jeep CJ-5; Now it's waves mostly to other Jeeps, but also to other 4-Wheelers. [4X4 waves] I almost forgot the Motor Scooter waves; Yes I belong to that group too. [No brand difference, wave to all] And finally the famous Airstream wave/flash even if they didn't see you. And some times I didn't see them.

So what are you riding, driving, or towing now? Maybe just wave to everyone?

All I need now is an airplane; No, I'm done. No airplanes for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002 (Large).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	95671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (Large).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	95672  

Name:	IMG_0003 (Large).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	95673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763 (Large).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	95674  

Name:	IMG_0126 (Large).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	95675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634 (Large).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	95676  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I was raised in a part of rural America where all the folks did the raised index finger wave thing as they passed each other on the roads...we called it the "farmer wave" (we were farmers)... It would have been rude not to. I still do that to this day when I'm in a small town or in a campground or in our neighborhood...it's almost reflex. In fact, in campgrounds, we acknowledge everyone who drives by our campsite...and most of the time they do the same. And we do wave and flash at other Airstreams on the road...it always makes us feel good when they respond, but sometimes they don't...either because they didn't see us in time or they just don't get it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #73
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I was raised in a part of rural America where all the folks did the raised index finger wave thing as they passed each other on the roads...we called it the "farmer wave" (we were farmers)... It would have been rude not to. I still do that to this day when I'm in a small town or in a campground or in our neighborhood...it's almost reflex. In fact, in campgrounds, we acknowledge everyone who drives by our campsite...and most of the time they do the same. And we do wave and flash at other Airstreams on the road...it always makes us feel good when they respond, but sometimes they don't...either because they didn't see us in time or they just don't get it.
OK, I have to ask, where? I should have known there was a reason you stuck me as a long time neighbor from the first. Oh yeah, mom says "hey". She loves that Tshirt.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I guess we all have to learn to live with some 'rejection'...won't keep me from wavin' like a fool to all my Airstream 'cousins' on the road, though!...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
OK, I have to ask, where? I should have known there was a reason you stuck me as a long time neighbor from the first. Oh yeah, mom says "hey". She loves that Tshirt.
Idaho (all kin came from Oklahoma)...not exactly geographical neighbors, but no doubt cultural neighbors...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote