Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Newfoundland

This may be a bit late but we are headed for Newfoundland next weekend. Anyone have any last minute advice for sites, parks, and topics in general for the western side?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Wowie, HowieE -

Can't help with advice, so I'll just have to send best wishes and encouragement to keep us posted on what you learn.

Happy trails.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Been there

Hello and have a great visit... This province is as close as you can get to going to Scotland... very friendly people... go into a store and you and your family may end up getting invited for supper to someone's home . I was there in the mid 70's... did not camp but we are headed that way sometime in the next couple of years... only thing to be aware of are the moose.... more moose than anywhere else...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Howie, about doing a daily travel log post?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Edmonton , Alberta
Port aux Basques, Newfoundland

Hi HowieE,
My name is Paul Caines and I live in Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. We have a 1976 Airstream in our garage which hasn't been outside for the past 15 years. My dad and I are working on it in preparation for a trip to Edmonton, Alberta in four weeks time. I'm a junior high teacher there and am just in Newfoundland for visit until school resumes in late August. (I grew up in Port aux Basques). I recently purchased a new GMC Sierra 3500 which has considerable towing capacity and we will use it for our trip out west. Previously, my dad towed the trailer with a 1966 Olds 98' (which is also in the garage) by the Airstream.
Are you crossing on the Caribou or Smallwood? We'd love for you to drop by our house for a visit and meal. We live only 5 minutes from the ferry terminal in Port aux Basques (just opposite the Grand Bay Mall). We can also point out to you some tourist destinations on the south-west coast. Do you plan on going to St. John's? Gros-More National Park? L'Anse aux Meadows?
Look forward to hearing from you,
Paul Caines
pcaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaines
Hi HowieE,
My name is Paul Caines and I live in Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. We have a 1976 Airstream in our garage which hasn't been outside for the past 15 years. My dad and I are working on it in preparation for a trip to Edmonton, Alberta in four weeks time. I'm a junior high teacher there and am just in Newfoundland for visit until school resumes in late August. (I grew up in Port aux Basques). I recently purchased a new GMC Sierra 3500 which has considerable towing capacity and we will use it for our trip out west. Previously, my dad towed the trailer with a 1966 Olds 98' (which is also in the garage) by the Airstream.
Are you crossing on the Caribou or Smallwood? We'd love for you to drop by our house for a visit and meal. We live only 5 minutes from the ferry terminal in Port aux Basques (just opposite the Grand Bay Mall). We can also point out to you some tourist destinations on the south-west coast. Do you plan on going to St. John's? Gros-More National Park? L'Anse aux Meadows?
Look forward to hearing from you,
Paul Caines
Wow! Wish I had an invite like that one. My wife and I were in Newfoundland last summer (July 2006). We had a great time and look forward to going back perhaps as early as summer 2008. We did not have our Airstream then, but we drove an awful lot. In addition to Gros Morne Park we went to Gander to the aviation museum. If you are interested in how they accomodated all those flights from the U.S. back during 9-11, you might want to stop there. A couple other places we went to were "Bay Bulls" for a Puffin & Whale Watch. Also, in "Grand Falls" there is the Salmonid Interpretation Centre.

Hope you have a great trip!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Edmonton , Alberta
Newfoundland again:)

Hi Streamer1,
I appreciated your message very much. Newfoundland is truly a beautiful place and I spent my childhood and teenage years here before going to university in Fredericton, New Brunswick. I currently reside in Edmonton, Alberta but come home to Newfoundland twice a year (at Christmas and again in the summer). I'm really excited about driving our Airstream to Edmonton this summer and hope that all goes well. At the same time, I'm a little concerned because it hasn't been out of the garage in ages! My dad and I were working on the electric brakes this evening but aren't getting power at the wheels. (He's a diesel mechanic by trade so I think we'll figure it out before long).
Thanks again for your nice comments of Newfoundland!
Paul
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hi Paul

Thanks for you offers. We will come in at 10 pm on the 25th. If your going to be around on the 26 we love to stop by. How about continuing this conversation via private message or e mail. I will await your responce.

As for the brakes. I would try and splice into the wire as close to the brakes as possible and test with a battery at that point. If the brakes work at that point try moving the splices forward to the next access point you can get to the wireing. At ome point you will lose power an define just what you have to replace. If it turns out that the magnets themselves are bad I have several used but good ones, mine are the oval type, I could bring north if supplies are short up there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Edmonton , Alberta
Paul in Newfoundland

Hi HowieE,
Just wondering if you received my previous email. Sorry, but I'm new at this
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Paul Caines