Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Piedmont area , North Carolina
Newbie need/wish list

Not sure if this is the place for this (wish there was a newbie forum ) but we need to start purchasing. I did a search here and only came up with a 2014 thread on needed items for newbie RVers. It was a good list but I am curious if there are newer better brands of those items 6 years later.

I bought the "Newbies guide to Airstreaming" and "My Airstream Mentor" as hard copies for references. We have on order a FC23FB. The TV will be a F150 XLT.

What I have found from them and YouTube. In () are brands that seem to be most touted.
1) hitch lock (Proven)
2) surge protector (Progressive Industries)
3) drinking water hose (Ultimate)
4) "dog bone" adapter 30-50 amp
5) sewer hose kit with clear adapter (Rhino)
6) chocks - wheel chocks and X chocks
7) leveling blocks
8) water filter for drinking/fresh water hose
9) air compressor
10) torque wrench
11) tire pressure monitor
12) tire kit
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
following...
SlowPokePete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
DogMomDeb

A TPMS is a great thing but it doesnít replace an accurate tire gauge for setting and pre trip pressure checks.

A tool I keep in the door picket is an IR temp gun. At rest stops you can use it and shoot brake drum temps. Braking makes heat how hot depends on several things like how much braking you have done? Flat land is easier than hills or even congested city driving. Exact number isnít the big issue but are all brakes working and contributing to braking is the observation. Dexter does publish some temp guidelines if you want to know more. And it looks cool when you shoot the temp of your cast iron skillet and pronounce bring the eggs skillets hot!

Learn the noises and the pulse of your rig. Then when it goes burp youíll at least raise an awareness alarm.

Read the important manuals how stuff works etc and learn what your rig needs for winterizing and draining the water systems before itís a crisis.

Propane is good stuff but even opening a tank valve too fast can teach you a we told you not to do that kinda lesson. It happens.

Expect more comments.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Not sure if this is the place for this (wish there was a newbie forum ) but we need to start purchasing. I did a search here and only came up with a 2014 thread on needed items for newbie RVers. It was a good list but I am curious if there are newer better brands of those items 6 years later.

I bought the "Newbies guide to Airstreaming" and "My Airstream Mentor" as hard copies for references. We have on order a FC23FB. The TV will be a F150 XLT.

What I have found from them and YouTube. In () are brands that seem to be most touted.
1) hitch lock (Proven)
7) leveling blocks
9) air compressor
10) torque wrench
12) tire kit
You have all the basics covered. Which WDH with Anti Sway are you getting? You will find out after several trips, what you are missing, if anything....we all have been here. Don't fret about what you may be missing, as long as long as you have the basics with a good WDH for your AS to be towed safely...there are lots of places to purchase "other stuff" along the way. Get out thsere and start enjoying your adventure!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you’ve got a great starter list. You’ll want a small camping tool box to bring along, and you’ll add tools as you go. I’d add a few things to your list, including: a good level, work gloves, rubber mallet for wheel chocks, 30-15 amp dog bone adapter, garden hose for non-drinking use such as rinsing sewer hoses and elbow, assorted hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), box of disposable rubber gloves and sanitary wipes for dump stations, hitch grease, and a foldable hand saw for removing problematic branches at campsites.

I have a more complete list of the stuff in my toolkit that I’d be happy to send if you’re interested.

FYI the comments above about the tire pressure monitor are good advice. I had a catastrophic tire failure of both passenger’s side tires at 65 mph last month. It happened so fast that my TPMS monitor essentially just lost connection to the two tires. The screen went blank, and at that point the tires were already destroyed. I received very little warning. TPMS monitors are not foolproof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E61E64F7-AEB2-4FA2-A2E0-A38730207BD0.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	407665  

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Good list for the basics. Sometimes your dealer may include dog leg adapters. Best thing you can do is get on the road once you have water sewer and electric covered to figure out what kind of camping youíre into. RV parks require less preparation and your basic list will get you in and comfortable there.

If you do boondocking you may need to start thinking about solar or generator. We have been on the road full time for almost 4 years and never needed the generator and just installed solar in early 2020 with Ronnie.

Youíll do great with this starter list and everything else will come with time.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I think youíve got a great starter list. Youíll want a small camping tool box to bring along, and youíll add tools as you go. Iíd add a few things to your list, including: a good level, work gloves, rubber mallet for wheel chocks, 30-15 amp dog bone adapter, garden hose for non-drinking use such as rinsing sewer hoses and elbow, assorted hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), box of disposable rubber gloves and sanitary wipes for dump stations, hitch grease, and a foldable hand saw for removing problematic branches at campsites.

I have a more complete list of the stuff in my toolkit that Iíd be happy to send if youíre interested.

FYI the comments above about the tire pressure monitor are good advice. I had a catastrophic tire failure of both passengerís side tires at 65 mph last month. It happened so fast that my TPMS monitor essentially just lost connection to the two tires. The screen went blank, and at that point the tires were already destroyed. I received very little warning. TPMS monitors are not foolproof.
Sent you a PM on this, but could be good info to understand what happened to your tires and PSI you run with cold? 2 going out on same side at same time is not common to see... Look like GYE's? Appreciate sharing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Here are several items which you may or may not have but should have, and it would be a very wise decision to include them in your AS as necessary items on any camping trip. YOU WILL BE WITHOUT POWER AND HEAT IN YOUR UNIT DURING THE COURSE OF YOUR CAMPING CAREER. You may run out of propane, your heating systems will fail for various reasons, or you may experience a power failure at an RV park (like I did this evening in Northern Arizona) and may not be able to use your unit's heating systems. Don't neglect to include sleeping bags as necessary camping gear. They can make an uncomfortable unheated trailer much more comfortable or even save lives in an extreme situation. In addition, purchase two portable electric heaters to use when staying at RV parks. They'll reduce your propane consumption considerably, and pay for themselves many times over if you prefer RV park camping vs boondocking. You're paying for power usage, make wise use of it, and let the RV park owner(s) pay the cost of heating your unit.... Just a few recommendations which are certain to help....
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Did I see tank treatments listed (black & gray) ?
Old 11-09-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Piedmont area , North Carolina
Thanks for the replies.
I've added a temp gun, gloves, rubber mallet, 2nd water hose for flushing, tank treatments, sleeping bag or something warm for cold weather and on the list for later solar generator.
I am OCD enough to always have wipes.

gypsydad - we are getting a Blue Ox Sway Pro. Dealer is installing.
Dennis C - I would love a toolbox list!
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I've added a temp gun, gloves, rubber mallet, 2nd water hose for flushing, tank treatments, sleeping bag or something warm for cold weather and on the list for later solar generator.
I am OCD enough to always have wipes.

gypsydad - we are getting a Blue Ox Sway Pro. Dealer is installing.
Dennis C - I would love a toolbox list!
I am on our 4th AS and 3rd Blue Ox Sway Pro...suggest getting an 18" braker bar with 1" socket for loading/unloading the Blue Ox sway bars..check out the youtubes on hitching/unhitching the Blue Ox properly to be sure. The braker bar makes it much easier and safer then the included wrench, IMHO...They may include now from BO; I am not sure. Sounds like your "almost" good to go!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:

1) hitch lock (Proven)
7) leveling blocks
9) air compressor
10) torque wrench
12) tire kit
We had the in-line Progressive EMS wired into our 5th wheel before delivery. Worth every penny from a peace of mind standpoint. On our AS order, our dealer recommended the Hughs Bull Dog. I'm leaning towards their recommendation only because it has bluetooth connectivity where our current Progressive only has a single line display.

For leveling, take a look at something like Andersen leveler kit, along with the Level Mate Pro.

I can highly recommend the Dewalt battery powered compressor. I've been using one for the past 2 years with our 5th wheel (2023 GT27 on order). Airs both our truck (F350) and rig tires with ease. Bonus that it can inflate/deflate mattresses, sports equipement and floats. It's a little "spendy" but super convenient.

As for TPMS, we're currently using the Tireminder platform. Again a little spendy, but is essentially purpose built for monitoring RV tires. It can catch both fast & slow leaks along with temperature reading for all your TV and rig tires.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
I can highly recommend the Dewalt battery powered compressor. I've been using one for the past 2 years with our 5th wheel (2023 GT27 on order). Airs both our truck (F350) and rig tires with ease. Bonus that it can inflate/deflate mattresses, sports equipement and floats. It's a little "spendy" but super convenient.
^1 on the DeWalt tire inflator. Works great. I topped off four truck tires this week. Far lighter, less expensive, and easier to use than my VIAIR, which now sits at home having been used just twice.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Didn’t see it- water pressure regulator with gage ; placed between the portable filter and the pressurized “city” connection on the trailer, plus spare sealing washer for inside the female fittings.

Tube of clear silicone sealant (small, with cap, not the type placed in a caulking gun).

Roll of high-quality duct tape (I like Gorilla brand).

Roll of quality electrical tape (I like 3M).

Set of good screwdrivers.

Small set of mechanics wrenches and sockets; 1/4” and 3/8” drives.

Two or three sizes of adjustable pliers (I like Channelock brand) and two or three adjustable wrenches aka crescent wrench.

12 volt test light / probe (has a long jumper and a 6” needle for piercing wire insulation)

Household electricity probe (lights and beeps if it senses house power; I like Fluke brand).

Good 12 volt automotive compressor or at least one can of pressurized flat repair to inflate a tire temporarily.

All the tools except the screwdrivers, you can buy used on ePay or Craigslist or swap meet. Screwdrivers should be new ‘cause it sucks trying to turn a stubborn screw with a worn-out tip.

Even if you can’t use some of these because no one taught you, having them available will encourage someone else to help you.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Sent you a PM on this, but could be good info to understand what happened to your tires and PSI you run with cold? 2 going out on same side at same time is not common to see... Look like GYE's? Appreciate sharing.
Sorry for the delayed response - I just saw this post.

They were Goodyear Endurance tires with just over 5,000 miles on them. I run them at 70 PSI cold. Both tires on the passengerís side failed very quickly. The culprit was road debris that I couldnít see. It was small metal shards and pieces of wire that embedded themselves in the tread and quickly destroyed the tires. The debris was mostly blown over to the shoulder, so it got the trailer tires but not the truck tires. I presume it fell off of a truck. It was a scary situation that could have ended badly. I was traveling at approximately 65 mph when the tires failed, and I was able to make an emergency stop and get to the shoulder without much trouble.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote