Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Penticton , British Columbia
New Port, Oregon to Cheyenne, Wyoming then home

Hi fellow air streamers - this July I will be making my first big trip with my 65 Land Yacht. Need a little bit of info from those who have travelled the roads before. Here is trip outline (very rough and can be altered for the most part except for dates in Cheyenne for frontier days July 22 - 25.
1. Penticton to Lewiston, Idaho stay 2 nights.
2. Onto Hood River and stay a night somewhere along that scenic route.
3. Oceanside for a night and then down to Newport Beach area for 3 nights and take day trips to travel and see the sights.
4. Leave Newport and head towards Cheyenne, Wyoming. This is the part I am wondering about which way to go and what spots to potentially stay the night along the way. This portion can be long days of driving or can pull in and stop to see stuff. Also don't mind Walmart parking lots for the night if need be.
5. From Cheyenne have planned an overnight at Thermopilis and then onto Cody,WY.
6. 3 nights in Cody to explore, trolly ride, wild mustangs, river raft possibly.
7. Go through Yellowstone (not sure how much time to allow ) thoughts?
8. Head towards Calgary from Yellowstone, also thoughts on what route to take?
Can overnight along the way.
I have 3 weeks to do this trip but can add a few days if I need to.

Hoping my 2 Dollar Dream(yes thats her name ) makes the trip with no major problems.
Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to share.
B
cndsilvrgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Have you figured out where to stay in Cheyenne? I've never tried to park a camper around Cheyenne during Frontier Days, but I've been there at that time often. It always looks like the worlds largest RV convention. I don't often stay at commercial campgrounds, but this might be one exception. I'd get a reservation soon. The other parts of Wyoming should have plenty of options, especially if you're open to off the grid boondocking. There are lots of forum threads about camping around Yellowstone. So, no need to reiterate those.

I can help around the Bighorns if you head this way.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you want a little scenery as you zip across Oregon, I'd say take 26 and stop and see the Painted Hills and Fossil Beds around John Day, Oregon. There is a great campground there right on the river called Clyde Holliday State Park, we stayed there a couple years ago. It has the biggest sites of any campground I've ever stayed in. The land around there is absolutely stunning, I can't wait to get out there again.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Thanks Thelwag - missed out on getting a campspot in Cheyenne but did get a hotel booked.....gonna park the airstream in their trucking parking lot..... oh well gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Stefrobrts - thanks I will have a look at that online .... just the kinda tips I am looking for.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My parents lived three blocks south of Cheyenne Frontier Days... The entire city fills up and the closest Forest Service camping would be Vedauwoo Campground north of I-80 (east of Laramie about 15 miles and west of Cheyenne about 40 miles). You were lucky to find a room within 50 miles of Cheyenne!

The best advice traveling to Cheyenne from Oregon. Travel to those places you want to go and make the best of it. Yes. At first there is some stress and concern... with not knowing. About 4PM you begin to look for that evenings camp site. Gives you plenty of daylight to find a place.

Rest areas may be posted no overnight camping in Wyoming, but the truckers begin to pile in around sunset for the evening. Camp along side the picnic table structures. Clean restrooms and nobody to bother you.

Get yourself a group of DeLorme Atlas's with the states you plan to drive through. Find the BLM and National Forest boundaries and find some great pull outs used for the last 50 years or more.

Avoid Indian Reservations as they do not encourage over night stays.

At the worst... stop at a ranch house in the western USA and ask for permission to camp overnight. Your chances are close to 90%+. You may even be invited for dinner and have a lively discussion of Cheyenne Frontier Days and the Calgary Stampede.

Tough it our on your schedule. Making too many reservations just ruins the thrill of being stuck to try options you never thought possible. If you do not try... you will not become comfortable just making it as you go.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Travel schedule Newport Beach to Cheyenne

There are several different ways from Newport to Cheyenne, but one I like is following I-40 east bound with various stops along the old Route 66 Historical spots.

For more info on Route 66, of course Google will do that but here are some images in the Arizona, New Mexico Route 66 stops.:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7635355281002/

While many of these are not on the way from Newport to Cheyenne and many not taken while traveling with my AS, Route 66 is exciting historically.

Another venue is La Posada, Winslow, AZ, seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7645669640090/

Of course, one of my favorite Route 66 shots:
Route_66_II_09.02.14 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

Happy Trails and Good Luck!
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I have stayed at Curt Gowdy SP west of Cheyenne. If you get to the southwest corner of WY, 29 miles South of Rock Springs, is Firehole Canyon, located in the Ashley National Forest. Beautiful spot. About 36 campsites. Flush toilets and showers but no electric hookups.

Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Thank you msmoto - will definatly check that route out.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Ray Eklund - thanks for the advice - winging it is more my style for sure.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
A definite "do not miss" in Cheyenne is the old Governor's Mansion. If you have time, the new Governor's Mansion is also open to the public, and quite nice. We visited both in 2009.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
If you want a little scenery as you zip across Oregon, I'd say take 26 and stop and see the Painted Hills and Fossil Beds around John Day, Oregon. There is a great campground there right on the river called Clyde Holliday State Park, we stayed there a couple years ago. It has the biggest sites of any campground I've ever stayed in. The land around there is absolutely stunning, I can't wait to get out there again.

There are three hookups in the town of Mitchell, about 10 miles from the Painted Hills. The last time I was there, it was $15/night for water and electric. Don't take your trailer into the PH!! Try to get in somewhat early, as it can fill up. Some tight maneuvering. I've also encountered a guy in a 5th wheel that managed to take two of the spots with his monster rig.

There is a forest service CG on the west side, as well. Right at Ochoco Summit.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
There are several different ways from Newport to Cheyenne, but one I like is following I-40 east bound with various stops along the old Route 66 Historical spots.
!
msmoto - I could be wrong, but I think she's talking about Newport Oregon, not Newport CA. about 1000 miles between the two...

Ray seems to have some good advice. Others as well.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Clara , Utah
Newport, Oregon

If you haven't been, don't miss Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches. I-15 out of Riverside, CA will take you thru Las Vegas and then to St George. Zion is about 50-60 minutes from St George and the East gate sets you up for Bryce. You can jump farther east at Grand Junction, north of Moab, and get back to Denver, turn left and you are on your way. Dinner spot in Ft Collins: Jays Bistro. Plus Ft C has a Jason's Deli. Quality Inn RV Park in Springdale (Zion) is a good facility, some back-in spots on the Virgin River and an easy stroll to the Zion NP shuttles. Heading east out of the park you can try Zion Ponderosa another good stop over. Newbies to Utah, we enjoy the camping opportunities, even Snow Canyon, 15 minutes from our driveway is a great stop.
ByHyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Curt Gowdy state park is very nice and close to Cheyenne. We stayed there during last year's Frontier Days. While there, don't miss the Vedauwoo rock outcroppings. In Cody, spend a day or more in the Buffalo Bill Museum complex, 5 different museums in 1. We spent a week in Moab, some of the best hikes! If you go to Thermopolis, you will also be near the Wind River Range. To understand more about these amazing geographical wonders, read "The Hard Road West" by Meldahl.
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you can get acces to F.E. Warren A.F.B. at Cheyenne You should visit General Custer's original house locted on the Parade Ground. I believe it is still used as a museum for Custer. It is one of the old original brick homes circling the parade ground. The may let non-military on the base to vivst the museum. Don't be afraid to ask the guards.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Laramie, Wyoming... on the west side of town.

Territorial Prison. Large parking lot. No services other than the service stations and truck stops on all exists into town.

Camp overnight. Tell the kids that you are going to leave them at the Prison while you are watching the Rodeo. If you have kids along. They will not be much bother after that.

Next Stop... Curt Gowdy State Park as mentioned by vhaalen, is just east of Laramie. You also have two fishing lakes on the same side of the highway between Laramie and Cheyenne. Granite Lake and Crystal Lake. Good fishing too.

Enjoy Wyoming. A great State, friendly people and wear a western hat to blend in.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
We also stayed at Curt Gowdy SP west of Cheyenne, a very nice stay. Then went to Thermopolis for a night, stay at Eagle RV Park, nice and shaded w/good wifi. Then in Cody we stayed at Buffallo Bill SP just west of town, on the lake with pretty open scenery but was very windy. Dont miss the BB Cody Museum, well worth the day spent there. Of course you have to stay long enough to go through Yellowstone! We drove through the park from the east side pulling the trailer, which wasn't bad. If you don't mind being packed in, stay at Fishing Bridge CG if you want hook-ups. We stayed in West Yellowstone, MT and drove in to the park each day and took a different route. Do not miss the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, or Old Faithful if you only stay 2 days. The Tetons are majestic, you have to see thoses! We stayed in Jackson Hole at the Virginian RV park, but Colter Bay is a nice park with hook-ups or, when we go again we will dry camp at Gro Ventres CG which is more secluded but see more wildlife there. Dont miss a day trip to Jenny Lake, boat ride, then hiking the trails around and back down. The town of Jackson Hole is a fun place to see for a day also. From there, we went south to Moab, Utah to see Arches NP, if you go that far south. It will be a great adventure! See all you can, and make a reservation way ahead to stay in Yellowstone and at Teton.
okiedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bellevue , Washington
As for Yellowstone: Fishing Bridge RV park is only spot with full hook ups. Plan at 2 days for YS. However, I prefer Colter Bay RV park in Grand Teton NP. But Gros Ventre RV park is BEST even though not many facilities. Definitely plan 2 days in Tetons. Lunch at Jenny Lake Lodge (make reservations). Drive the loop to Jenny Lake Lodge in early morning and early evening (7mph). Lots of deer and elk. Herds of elk around the Moose area. Love the Tetons. Oh, have a drink at Jackson Lake Lodge and keep an eye out for the moose.
Tayver is offline   Reply With Quote