Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
Several years ago, we stayed at St. Bernard St. Park, which we enjoyed. About 18 miles out of French Quarter.
Yes, it's back in business. My local WBCCI Unit held our Christmas rally there a few months ago.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
French Quarter RV Resort

We stayed a few days over Christmas 2013. The RV park is a nicely done parking lot --just what you would expect for an urban setting. Good security and the nearby "projects" are empty.
We are not skittish about cities and have visited many all over the world. Be careful in any urban place. But have to say, we did not have any hint of any trouble on the streets between the RV park and the French Quarter or in the Quarter itself. We were out after dark but not too late --home before 12.
In fact, since our first visit to the Quarter in the early 80s --have to say it has never looked better --never felt less threatening there than this last trip.
Please go and enjoy --NOLA is unique and wonderful --and be careful and keep your eyes open just as in any other big city in the US or anywhere!
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Grand Haven , Michigan
We stayed at FQ RV three weeks ago for 2 nights. Felt completely and totally safe both in and outside of the park. It's a steep price but worth it for security and amenities.

Also stayed at Fountainbleu State Park but the drive across the causeway got to us after a day or two. FQ RV was great.

Truthfully the only complaints were some fellow (much younger) Airstreamers next to us who were super unfriendly, and came home both nights at 3am, yelling, singing and screaming as they got into their trailer. Ah well, can't win them all.
IDG17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
jackcat--I have lived in New Orleans and visited there several times as well and always lived to tell the tale. Haven't stayed in any of the RV parks--but please give us a follow-up on your experience wherever you decide to park.

Now for the critical advice:

The stories the cemetery tours and Haunted New Orleans tours tell are all very suspect (but also very entertaining). Don't repeat them at a dinner party.

Watch out for the guy who approaches you saying "I bet I can tell you where you got dem shoes..."

And...a late night Lucky Dog is a great hangover preventative!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Does anyone have input into NewOrleans ordinances on curbside parking? I have cousins to visit there at some point and the idea has been floated to drive up and set down right in front of their house.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Does anyone have input into NewOrleans ordinances on curbside parking? I have cousins to visit there at some point and the idea has been floated to drive up and set down right in front of their house.
Some older parts of the city have exclusively curbside parking, no driveways at all, because the homes are so close together. Others have narrow lots so that even if there is a driveway (but no garage), you couldn't park a trailer without blocking at least one driveway. In those areas, non-residents are limited to two hours curbside parking, and residents have to display a permit to park curbside for longer (and only in their own "zone").

Those areas also tend to have narrow streets, where if you've got parking on both sides, there's only one trafic lane in the middle, even if the street normally allows two-way traffic.

In parts of the city where the homes have proper driveways with garages, RVs are not generally permitted curbside, but must be tucked back in the driveway far enough that they don't stick out past the front of the house. You might get away with curbside parking in a B-van, but not a trailer or full-sized motorhome.

And of course downtown has curbside parking with meters, and since hurricane Katrina they've gone to one big meter every couple of blocks instead of individual meters by each parking space, so just because you don't see a meter is no guarantee that there isn't one nearby that you will need to feed.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When we go to NOLA, generally every two or three years (I love the place) we stay at the FQRV. I believe it is secure - gated with good security and there are staff there all the time. The city's visitor center just a block away and is on your way to the Quarter. And a police station is there as well.

We feel safe walking to the Quarter during the daytime - the neighborhood is kinda sketchy - and if we are having dinner (and who wouldn't!) we will take a cab back to the park. Cheap - and there are cabs waiting near most restaurants.

As for St Lewis #1 - I would not go there alone. Just too many places for someone to hide. But -there are tours going in there almost all the time. If you don't want to take the tour, then just go in when they are going in and stay within view. I recommend going, it is very interesting and exotic to a Virginian, just be smart about it.

We are celebrating our anniversary this year by riding the Crescent from Washington to NO in a few weeks. Hotel (in the Quarter, natch) and planning to eat everything in sight while filling up on jazz and all the rest of the sights and sounds unique to New Orleans.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
As a follow up, the French Quarter RV Park has been a very good place to stay. Extremely convienient, walk to the visitor center a couple blocks away, hop on a tour bus, go all over. Street cars a couple blocks further. Walked and rode bikes all over. Iberville projects empty, being demolished. Tourists all over the place, no security issues this trip. Thanks for all the imput. So nice we decided to stay a third day.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
That is definitely the place to stay. It's expensive sure, but you are right there at the French Quarter. We walked to and from the quarter from the RV park with no problem, even at night and we also rode our bikes. I have also stayed at Pontchartrain Landing several times. It's a nice modern place but it is not close to the French Quarter. They have a shuttle that you pay for but it is limited to around 8:30pm. Beyond that you need to take a cab back which is around $12.00. Overall French Quarter RV is the best place.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote