Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question New England in the Fall

We would like to make a tour of upstate NY, VT, NH, and ME in the fall of 2007. Our plan would be to leave FL in mid September and return in late October or early November. We've heard it's kind of crowded up there with all the "leaf peepers" about. Anyone have any tips, recommendations on camp sites, etc.?
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Leaf Peepers

I thought they amde Leaf Peeping against the law! Yes, it does get crazy in upper New England that time of year. With all the camp grounds closed for the season my best advise is to start researching which states and then which parts of those states you would like to visit. Once you have some idea of where you want to go it gets easier to track down camps grounds. We have had great luck with viewing them at their websites before calling. If I were you I would try to start making reservations in May or maybe earlier.

Keep us posted and check out the rally schedule. Our unit New England Unit WBCCI) has several events planned for the fall already!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Hi rgodfrey'
If you get the KOA Campground Directory. You will find that there are quite a few campgrounds open until mid Oct. The Trailer Life Directory (The Good Sam Club) there is even more of a selection. Have fun.
Eric
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
We would like to make a tour of upstate NY, VT, NH, and ME in the fall of 2007. Our plan would be to leave FL in mid September and return in late October or early November. We've heard it's kind of crowded up there with all the "leaf peepers" about. Anyone have any tips, recommendations on camp sites, etc.?
You are welcome to courtesy park at our place - not crowded at all.

Beauitful New Boston, NH with water/30amp electric/sewer/cable

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Most campgrounds in the very northern parts of NY and VT call it quits with Columbus Day. Plan on these areas first, then head for the Atlantic coast where the season is a little longer.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Timing is always a crap shoot, there are many variables. My wife and I have been to Vermont twice. The first and second weeks in October seem to be when the leaves are at their peak, starting in the "Northern Kingdom" and spreading generally southward from there. Last year they had not had much moisture, which the locals said dulls the colors, nor had they had any frost. It was still pretty, just not as brilliant as 2001.
I would recommend staying on the smaller side roads. There are only a couple of interstates anyway, but we found the small roads less busy and more interesting. If you are camped in a central area, you can access any part of the state in a day using your T.V. The whole state is small in size, and also very rural. We were not camping, so don't have any reccomendations there.
In terms of how busy it is, I found it not as busy as some of the stories I had heard. Most of the traffic seemed to be in the commercial shopping towns. (Orvis, etc)
This is a trip I highly recommend, we thoroughly enjoyed our time.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote