Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #41
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
We're just too polite.....sorry.
That belongs in the late, lamented "Differences between the US and Canada" thread; Americans wouldn't even conceive of apologizing for being too polite.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If the heat pumps have all these cycles and constantly change pitch and clunk and buzz like the residential heats pumps I can sorta see the point of the tent campers. If it is just a fan noise like an AC unit makes then that is different. Any random change in noise is going to be annoying to someone in a tent. I do like having walls for this reason. We had a pop up slide in camper at one time and I liked the portability of it, but it was kinda noisy while sleeping because the over cab bed was in the pop up tent part. Weekends seem to bring out the worst in campers. There are lots of self involved younger folks that are not really tuned in to how what they do effects others. Most folks with kids and dogs are so use to noise that they don't even think when they bring all that noise along with them to a place where it is supposed to be quiet. I remember the last time I went to Desoto State park, there was a young couple with kids and two or three yap yap dogs. The dogs stayed in the camper but they never shut up and they were annoying even inside the trailer across the street. Why on earth would someone want to go camping with all that mess going on. What is relaxing about that.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
They only make all of the noises when going into and out of defrost mode, which is when it is nearing freezing temps outside. At those temps, I run the furnace because it's more efficient at heating, and protects the pipes if the temps do go down to or below freezing. Just the way I do it, but when I can, I heat on the campground's nickel.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We just installed a new Dometic 15K HP replacing the carrier AC unit. Our intent would be not to upset anyone with the use of these "comfort" items that are common to camping in an RV. We still would be considerate to use the propane furnace or a heater if the surroundings were crowded with a variety of campers, like tenters who decided to camp in an RV area, maybe due to no choice. Like many stories have been written, this is the difference between the boating types and rving types like a Yacht compared to a canoe type. We all have a common ground, no pun intended.
I can't tell you how many times we've had tenters stay under our awning when a down pour would come and wipe out their camp site. They had no problem with the noise of the AC when we would invite them inside the Airstream to dry out when the humidity hit before re-establishing their campsite.

Yep, we all need to be aware, however, we all have our lifestyles that drive what we live in and locations we stay at. Something that maybe when signing into a campground the question can be asked about the folks next door.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #45

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess I have mixed feelings. If I am in a park with electrical hookups with sites that can accommodate RV's, I would think that normal operational sounds from these RV accessories are part of the things you have to accept. My heat pump sounds no different than when it is in the air conditioner mode and in my opinion seems to be less obnoxious than the furnace. If the person asked me, I'd probably agree but would note to them that I am going to switch to the gas furnace.

Now if you want to talk about obnoxious then consider the folks who start their diesel vehicles up and let them idle and "warm up" before they drive away. Especially loud are the Cummins diesels found on the Dodge trucks. It seems to be a frequent occurrence.

I also remember the folks who decide to go to bed and leave all the lights on…not just a trailer patio or step light, but the ground lights, the awning lights, and every other light they bring which makes the site look like a shopping center parking lot. One I saw at a government park last year had spot lights behind the trailer aimed towards the road in front of the site. I was walking the dogs and felt that if I had stepped on their site the sirens would go off and the search lights might go on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Whom parked first?

Are there more spots open?

Regards,

JD
Yes. My sentiments, exactly.

One shouldn't be deliberately noisy, but neither should tenters expect RV'ers to be silent-running.

There are also earplugs.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #47

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Now if you want to talk about obnoxious then consider the folks who start their diesel vehicles up and let them idle and "warm up" before they drive away. Especially loud are the Cummins diesels found on the Dodge trucks. It seems to be a frequent occurrence.
My "favorite" in that regard was the camper across the way from me at one park who arrived with a horse trailer with living quarters in the front end, and a Harley Davidson motorcycle where the horse would be. Even stock Harleys aren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination, but whatever this guy did to his muffler made it sould even louder than straight pipes. You haven't really been rudely awakened until someone fires up a Harley fifteen feet from your front window and revs it up for fifteen minutes at o-dark-thirty in the morning before roaring off to wherever Harley riders go before the crack of dawn.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I expect to here noise when I camp, it is always that way. If it happens to be quiet I am truly impressed. Only place I never heard excessive noise was Top of Geogia and at my brother in laws farm. If you expect the worse you are seldom disappointed. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would have had a talking to this guy. No sense in that. No sense in bringing something that noisy into a camp ground. Harley's are one of my pet peeves.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My "favorite" in that regard was the camper across the way from me at one park who arrived with a horse trailer with living quarters in the front end, and a Harley Davidson motorcycle where the horse would be. Even stock Harleys aren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination, but whatever this guy did to his muffler made it sould even louder than straight pipes. You haven't really been rudely awakened until someone fires up a Harley fifteen feet from your front window and revs it up for fifteen minutes at o-dark-thirty in the morning before roaring off to wherever Harley riders go before the crack of dawn.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #50
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I can't hear you....

Jack[/QUOTE]

That is the guy who volunteers to go for donuts at 4 am... and they turn on the Baja lights to boot while gunning the engine.

This thread has wandered some, but, I agree that noise is noise. The tenter, though, sounds as if he was unreasonable rude. If he had asked more nicely, then that would be a more answerable request.

When we have had loud neighbors, we have asked, nicely, that they turn their stereo down, as we could not hear our radio. Usually they comply, but we have gotten some dirty looks while they notch it down a tenth of a decibel. We ask a second time, and if that doesn't work, then it is report to the ranger or campground host. That visit from an official usually works.

For what it's worth, I have heard my A/C in heat pump mode from outside, and it isn't a noisy unit, it's much quieter than what I have heard on SOBs.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #51

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quite honestly if there is unreasonable noise going on, I would rather report it to campground owners or if a public facility, to those who are responsible for managing the facility. I'd rather not confront the person creating the noise. Way too many overly sensitive folks out there these days. Let the folks paid to do that job do it. Many campgrounds have an after hours number to report problems to. Personally I don't put air conditioners or heat pumps in that criteria. Usually campground rules pretty much define quiet hours and in most cases if an appliance is that bad, I'd probably say something to the campground authorities the next day and have them come by and see what they think.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have found that in most state parks complaining about noise is basically falling on deaf ears. Private camp grounds may be more responsive to these issues because their livelihood depends on it. Many times noisy neighbors will retaliate if the ranger comes and talks to them about noise. They know it had to be someone close. So my attitude is keep your mouth shut or go and talk to them about it. If they are rude or abusive then go to the ranger. This is assuming that they are not doing something dangerous or outright stupid. If that is the case call the ranger.

Perry

Quote:
Quite honestly if there is unreasonable noise going on, I would rather report it to campground owners or if a public facility, to those who are responsible for managing the facility. I'd rather not confront the person creating the noise. Way too many overly sensitive folks out there these days. Let the folks paid to do that job do it. Many campgrounds have an after hours number to report problems to. Personally I don't put air conditioners or heat pumps in that criteria. Usually campground rules pretty much define quiet hours and in most cases if an appliance is that bad, I'd probably say something to the campground authorities the next day and have them come by and see what they think.

Jack
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
maybe the tenters just wanted the furnace fired up to enjoy the heat it throws outside :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
New experience for us. Tenters in next campsite asked us to turn off the heat pump because it is keeping them awake at night. I know they are loud but I sleep right through the noise until there is loud banging at the trailer door.

This is a state park with good sized sites. Turned on the propane furnace to be a good neighbor.

Good of you! The heat pump Is loud and inefficient - I never use it at night. The furnace is much quieter and more effective.
I respect the environment of a campground, yet was surprised by a knock on the door one night at Navajo Nat'l Monument by neighboring tent campers asking me if I was going to "run that machine all night". It was the refrigerator fan that was bothering them! I disconnected the fan - no problem.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You could have asked him if he was going to run his mouth all night, but that would have confrontational and not accomplished anything. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #56

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
I respect the environment of a campground, yet was surprised by a knock on the door one night at Navajo Nat'l Monument by neighboring tent campers asking me if I was going to "run that machine all night". It was the refrigerator fan that was bothering them! I disconnected the fan - no problem.
You, sir, are a better man than I am. In the same situation, I would have asked, "Will you replace the food that spoils because I shut off my fridge for you?"
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Good of you! The heat pump Is loud and inefficient - I never use it at night. The furnace is much quieter and more effective.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
What the heck kind of fan do you have for that frig????
Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Since you went there, I'll address this. We do this from time to time, in colder weather (which is what this thread is about). Why? Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

Until a week or so ago, I thought this was completely normal for our truck, but it turns out it's not - apparently there are a couple issues that should be resolved today. Hopefully I won't have to do this any more. But we'll still probably warm it up at least a few minutes on those cold mornings before taking off, just like we would with a gas vehicle.

In the summer, I fire it up, drop it in gear, and go, within a couple minutes, much like anyone would with a gas vehicle.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Would you go to a sporting event and ask the person next to you not to cheer?Having tent camped more than RV camped, I can say that whenever I looked for a site on my little map I would always look for the ones with the little triangle (tent camping) only and no vehicle symbols (RV camping). Occasionally I was unable to find a separate tenter site , but would camp as far away from RVs as possible. If I was there, it was out of necessity and I was on their turf. It would often be to find a site with shower facilities. I would have considered it my responsibility to move or move on.
But back to the sporting event... If someone was using excessive profanity ( I have been there), I would politely indicate my objection, particularly if young children were present. So tying this back in-- some noises may still be excessive and that is why generator cut-offs exist.
To me the key is the attitude. You have the right to proper maintained and running fridge and heat/cooling and they have the right to ear plugs. Both have the right to relocate. Being there first and set up does give the right of way. But if someone comes to me with an attitude of "you need to turn that darn thing off," I may be more likely to fall back on my rights than be overly considerate to a rude person who is not offering the same. Not saying that is how it went down here, but manners factor in bigtime. There are rules, bit it is definitely situational with the human element weighing in heavily. I usually try to take the high road and don't mind helping out.
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #60
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In private campgrounds, tent sites and RV sites are usually separated, though at some places some are adjacent. But separation does help reduce conflict. It is only in public CG's they are next to each other. When we tent camped we didn't stay in either kind since we backpacked or stayed in tent only CG's. Even then there might be other tenters around and they could be difficult to be near.

For the most part I think the conflicts are minor and can be easily resolved. But, when people are easily offended and oversensitive, then conflicts escalate. The same things happen in apartment houses (I once lived under someone who seemed to drop a blowing ball on the floor every hour or two). But you can't move from an apartment every few days. It takes patience, an appreciation of the other's point of view and compromise to settle these things. Calling a ranger in a public CG is fruitless (budget cuts)—you might find a camp host, and might not. In a private CG, you have a better chance of finding someone to help.

I think some are quite intolerant of what it is like to be in a tent. Tenters like camping too. Someday they may have an RV and I hope they don't forget what it was like to be in a tent.

We've camped near tents and never had a complaint. If we've had to run a generator, I try to use it sparingly and only in midday. If there is electricity (why would someone in a tent need electricity—to make toast?), we use the ceramic heater until only the furnace can heat the trailer. I do think the heat pump, as described above, makes more noise than an A/C, but different ones are different. I sometimes leave the patio light on at night because we forget to turn it off, but we try to remember it can be blinding to someone nearby whether they're in a tent or RV. It costs us little or nothing to be respectful of others and I am glad not to be camped near some of those with a "screw you if you don't like it" attitude.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote