Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #1

Toronto , Ontario
Need suggestions

Hi,
I don't know whether it's a weird question. But, I need to ask about this. Currently, I'm living in Toronto. I'm planning to buy a sprinter van. But, before that I need to know whether I can drive the sprinter van with the car license. Can someone help me with the details about the laws in Canada? I read few from this article: http://www.truckloancenter.com/blog/...n-car-licence/. If there is anything more to add, kindly share those.
Thanks in advance
William Blal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I suggest calling your local department of motor vehicles, re licensure requirements in Canada, but good luck.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You need only a class G licence in Ontario. It varies by Province, but generally unless you plan to carry 12-15 passengers or use the van for Commercial purposes you are OK with your Class G.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Laws vary from province to province, and from state to state.

"In most cases, if the person is using the vehicle for personal use, they will be exempt from additional licensing requirements. "

This mirrors the law in most states, but there are variables. In most states it is legal to drive a 15 pass. van for personal or church use with a standard driver license. In California, the cutoff is 12 passengers. These restrictions are based on passenger count, not the size of the vehicle. It is legal to drive any size box truck moving van with a car license as long as the driver is not a paid employee. If a driver is paid, there are license requirements for the size of the vehicle, it's equipment, the cargo, where it's driven, etc.

Bottom line: Beyond a standard car license, there are nearly zero restrictions for RVs. Only if you hire a chauffeur.

(I'm licensed to drive trucks up to 26k lbs with hydraulic brakes and can carry passengers (AND anything with 2 or 3 wheels ) )