Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Need some tips on getting my first Airstream ready to roll

We just bought our first Airstream....a 2006 31' Classic....and we're working now on getting it ready for the first trip to Virginia Beach in April. Would love some advice on making sure we have all the right gear for the inside and out. Been searching the web for all the leveling, chock blocks etc, along with making sure that everything seems to work. And the Salvation Army got me started on kitchen stuff along with some Amazon purchases. And as soon as we get the recall items taken care of (refrigerator and Actibrakes), we should be 1 step closer.
Any help you all could provide on this topic would be wonderful.
Thanks.
suzieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The items you will need will be acquired over time with experience, but the obvious are water hose, sewer hose, wheel chocks, and some blocks to level from side to side.

You mentioned the recall on the Actibrakes, and I will advise first, take the trailer to a dealer with a good reputation for service. Second, when the work is completed, and you leave with the trailer, if there is any delay in the trailer brakes operation, turn right around, take it back, and tell them they did not bleed the brakes properly because there is too much delay. They are hard to bleed, but must be done correctly for them to work correctly.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I would always start with Sewer Solution.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you plan to make your first use of the trailer a longish trip, I would first investigate the tires, to make sure that they aren't 'over age'. I believe that 5 years is generally considered the maximum acceptable age for travel trailer tires, so if yours are at or near that age, I would make the investment in new ones before you leave.

Also, you didn't mention if you bought the TT from a private individual or a dealer, but regardless of its provenance, while you have those tires off inspecting the brakes, have the bearings replaced too. That doesn't cost a lot, but you don't know what type of use they have had.

Lastly, to paraphrase a popular saying, take half the 'stuff' and twice the money you had planned.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The right hear-
That is a never ending list- you will always think of handy little items that make life a little easier- you will always discover neat gadgets that you never knew about-
The last time we were out and I stopped at an RV dealership I forgot to get a drain plug with a flip-open drain for the water heater- so you just flip a lever/turn a valve to drain it instead of using a big socket and big ratchet to get the big ole drain plug off- makes winterizing easier-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
make a list....our first trip was only a 4 day weekend...we were rushed at home with work stuff and what not....and we kinda rushed packing and did it on the fly....we forgot bar soap, dish detergent, utensils to cook with, and a few other things. Our next trip we created a list which contained all necessary food, all basic items needed, etc...

So while you are looking to find out what is on your list....perhaps ensure you are making and following a list....im forgetful so I find them very helpful...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Don't really have any tips yet -- we're new too. But wanted to extend a warm welcome and congratulations from another MA resident (who grew up in the Va Beach area). Hope to see you on the road!
Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Get the book The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. Covers most everything.😃
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
make a list....our first trip was only a 4 day weekend...we were rushed at home with work stuff and what not....and we kinda rushed packing and did it on the fly....we forgot bar soap, dish detergent, utensils to cook with, and a few other things. Our next trip we created a list which contained all necessary food, all basic items needed, etc...

So while you are looking to find out what is on your list....perhaps ensure you are making and following a list....im forgetful so I find them very helpful...
Most of that stuff- once it is in the trailer- stays in there forever-
Thank goodness there was a Walmart a mile away from Topsail...
When we purchased our first trailer, my wife brought utensils/dishes, sheets, blankets, towels, bath cloths, etc. from the house. We made numerous trips to Walmart or the RV dealership...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
All the above is excellent advise. I can only add our recent experience and hope it helps. I'm in training for the weight police, as we're towing a Flying Cloud 27fb with a 1/2 ton pickup. (Read lots of towing threads for great info on AS towing and tow vehicles here on Airforums)

We literally weighed and planned everything that went into the AS for the initial loading (permanent things, all except fresh food and clean clothes) so I knew what we had. We learned as we went through that mound of stuff from the 39' diesel pusher that we had been hauling around WAY too much. I'm surprised we even got 8 mpg..........

Equip your AS minimally is my advise. If there's 2 of you, load for 4 tops. And work through how much you really need (especially kitchen and bath-lots of weight there). Plan what you need, don't take too much, and since you're equipping your first AS, have fun!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Guaranteed that you will take tooooooo much. It's a learning curve and each trip will help you to get to that perfect match with your needs and your wants. Plus a few luxuries. Go with your gut and you can always pick up forgotten necessities along the way. And there are some seasonal needs too based on what time of year you are on the road.

ENJOY

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Some things I have found invaluable: kitchen scissors, wine opener, a good iron skillet/dutch oven, Skin-So-Soft (helps keep the bugs away), flyswatter, bug spray, small fan, small portable grill (We have a collapsable Volcano), good quality plastic dishes (I got some great ones at Big Lots), flashlight, and a mat in which to wipe feet.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome

Suzie,

Welcome, you must be excited. I think the trip to the Salvation Army was a great idea. As far as kitchen gadgets you will figure that out soon enough. My wife is a master planner and packer. Stand in the galley and think about the meals you are going to prepare. You will need a pan, a pot a.....and down the line. It isn't rocket science.

Since you are doing a maiden voyage don't worry about things that you can add later, like the sewer solution thing. You will need some blocks, hoses and sewer hoses and perhaps an adapter for your electrical cord.

The most important issue is to have the trailer wheels, tires and brakes inspected. Your tip sounds like a long one so getting it out on the road for a long drive isn't like driving around the block. The first thing I did after getting it home was to have the wheel bearings packed and the brakes and tires inspected.

Another thing that we had to deal with was a faulty converter/charger that came with our 2006. Our first trip was just an over nighter close to home and our batteries went dead within hours of night fall. The batteries were toast and the converter had been overcharging them for quite a long time.

So, I would concentrate on checking the wheels, the electrical system and all the appliances. Then, I would consider all the other stuff as you pick up real life experience.

Have fun.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Charcoal-
We grill a lot.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
I appreciate all of these posts! Today we are purchasing our first AS. A 31 ft. 2008 Classic Limited. I am reading and absorbing all the advice I can get. Thank you.
LizGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Have fun, and try not to be as overcome by it as I am!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I'm sure as we use it this first year we'll acquire and get rid of things along the way.
Happy traveling!
suzieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
At least two flashlights in case the trailer has an electrical issue at night. Disposable rubber gloves for handling waste water pipes. Cheap throw away sneakers in case the sewer pipe comes loose during the dumping process.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
2 flashlight? No! half a dozen! + 1 that can be strapped to yo head!
Ditto on the gloves. Also, in that compartment- channel locks to make sure water connections are tight, extra hose for black tank flush, air fitting for winterizing, extra hose end washers-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Ditto on backup flashlights and even the geeky-looking model that straps to your forehead.. My flying friends define flashlights as: tubes with bulbs at the end to hold dead batteries...

For a lot of "Stuff" you really will have to use the trailer a while to determine how you specifically enjoy your Airstream.. Some like to ride bikes, or hike, while others enjoy reading and want a library or hookup for Kindle or Nook. Some like to cook fancy, and others like to throw a frozen entrée into the microwave or hit the local cafe's. Cooking on gas or charcoal grill outside will trigger different requirements.. Until you know how you like to drive, camp and entertain yourselves, a detailed packing list may involve too much stuff...

I think best advice is to go slow, and periodically remove the stuff you DON'T use, since it is heavy.. The stuff you need and don't have will get bought at local RV or superstore, often in a hurry...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote