Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Need recs for AZ this winter!

We are hoping to stay in the Tuscon-ish area this winter, starting January through about end of March. Having trouble finding a park with good reviews with the ammenities we want, that is NOT 55+ only! We are mid thirties so they won't let us stay....If anyone has some recommendations I would really appreciate it. We don't really want to stay right in the city, we prefer a quieter location in more natural settings and don't mind a little drive to do stuff. Definiitely need full hookups, really really want adjacent hiking trails. Pet friendly, other ammenities aren't really that important to us but would be nice. Need a nice wide site with a little privacy, we can't stand to be packed in tight spaces. Does this place exist?
Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Catalina State Park sounds like it might be perfect for you, except that they don't have sewer hookups... Arizona State Parks: Catalina: Home Same with Picacho Peak State Park...they do not have water at the sites, though. http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/index.html Not much around with natural settings and full hookups (ie public campgrounds). If you PM me with your email address I can send you some links to some of the commercial parks that I put together for some friends who want to make a reservation in the fall. And you can visit our travel log for a run-down on most of the campgrounds to be enjoyed. Maybe you can also make a 4CU winter rally and meet some great Airstreamers!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Gilbert Ray on the west side has what you say you want, but no sewer hook up. Choose the right site and you have water close by if you have a longer hose. Beautiful desert setting.
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My wife and I, also in our mid-thirties with pets, stayed nine days at Catalina State Park last winter and loved it. Tons of excellent hiking right out your door, great views from the camper, 5 minutes from shopping or dinner and a movie but you still feel like you're out there and a very friendly mix of people in the park.

With the state parks you have to move every so often, two weeks I believe. If you can stretch your holding tanks (or use a buggy) and just dump when you're moving locations, this may be an option for you.

We're heading south again this coming winter but are not sure where exactly we'll be. We'll keep an eye out for you if we end up in Tuscon.

-DK

Here's a pic of our AS and dogs at Catalina:

Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
az state parks

we really like the arizona state parks...catalina is great....and there are many more....but we like to move and sample them all..... and will be back in az again this winter to gather with the great folks at the 4CU
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Catalina sounds great, but my husband works full time so it can be a pain to move around a lot, I think we'd like to stay in one spot for at least a month if not two, and then maybe go to southern CA. Contemplating staying Jan - Mar in Tuscon though. Definitely want full hookups, just not something we like to go without and we have a leak in our fresh water tank so we can't even use that...no boondocking for us. Plus in the state parks sometimes its hard to get a good wifi signal, and we can't afford to have problems with that!
Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I doubt that you are going to find anything that meets all your requirements...full hookups, quiet, natural setting, not in town, good views, adjacent to hiking, wide sites, good privacy, non 55+, staying for a month or two, WiFi, etc... that's a lot to ask for.

You're probably best off finding a commercial park because you're not going to find full hookups in public campgrounds near Tucson, nor where you can stay for more than 2-weeks at a time. Research and check private parks out in Woodall's and Trailer Life on line...they usually have links to the listed parks' websites so you can get more information. Good luck in finding something that you like.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with TB - we spent over 3 months in AZ this past winter, and our big quandry is whether we'll return again this winter, because we couldn't find any good option to the state and county parks (which are lovely, most have water and electric at about $25/night). We also got tired of moving every 2 weeks - and they are instituting a reservation system, so coordinating moves may be more of a challenge. . . good luck!
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Heck come BOONDOCK at the BIG Q, Quartzsite AZ WITH the good Airsteamers.