Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
So we went to Yellowstone ourselves last year. We are much closer than you, and took 2 days to get there from Kansas City. We drove about 700 miles on our long day. That can be done. Western interstates don't have much traffic. Long days of much daylight that time of year. This is us (with 1 person doing all the driving) driving towing at 60 mph speed.

What about having the others fly to Salt Lake City and renting a car and driving up to Yellowstone to meet you? If I wanted to plan what you have in mind, that is what I think I would do. Other possibility would be flying to Denver and having a long but doable day's drive from Denver to Yellowstone.

I also think you should plan your trip very specifically, and get reservations at RV parks with hookups. You will want to plug in and run your AC.

I can recommend Kearney RV park in Kearney Nebraska, and Cottonwood RV park in Columbia Mo if either of these would be a stop off point for any of your overnights.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you want to take your dog, you might just look around for kennels for short stays near the park. When we had our dog we did travel with her through the parks. Dogs are allowed in campgrounds, along the roads, and in parking lots. But this is kind of a pain, as the hot weather means it's not really safe to leave a dog alone in a vehicle or RV for very long.

I have to say, that when having a dog in a national park campground is kind of fun, is walking it through the loops that have other Airstreams. It's a good excuse to saunter by, and say howdy.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Delray Beach , Florida
After a little though, maybe it would make sense to stay at the KOAs outside of Yellowstone instead. They are pet friendly, provide plenty of room, and are usually clean and have laundry. There is one on the north entrance and west entrance I was thinking of reserving for three nights each. Then off to Jackson. I decided against the SW or Appalachian mountains because we want to see buffalo and moose and such. I will also make the reservations beginning 10 days after I leave so it gives us plenty of time to travel there. I figure I'll go no more than 300mi per day to be safe.
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wouldn't be able to leave Lily behind, either, but dogs not being allowed even on trails is a real problem in hot weather.

I wouldn't drop her in strange kennels, either, but that's just me.

A KOA sounds like a good plan, with day trips into the park, but better get on that if you want reservations this year.

Might think about leaving a key, then, with park staff in case of an emergency while you are gone.

Another thought...our first year of retirement, we booked a wildlife Safari type day trip into the Tetons, which was worth every single penny.

These folks know where the animals are, and take you to them in vehicles with sun roofs so you can safely look out in fairly close proximity, take pictures, etc.

They also had high powered telescopes, and lunch at a lodge was included.

A bit touristy, but may be a justifiable expense if there are animals you want to be sure to see.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I agree Maggie. Our dog goes. The KOA sounds like a good idea. We are hoping for our first westerly trip this spring or fall and hope there are additional ideas for people like us with dogs.
Hope your visit in the south east is going well. Maybe that should be a new thread or is there one already?
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
I don't think it's the campground attendant's job to let out a dog who has stayed too long in an RV.

One more pet-friendly national park is Zion National Park in southwestern Utah, which allows dogs on one of its trails. Also recommended in the nearby town of Rockville, UT is the Doggy Dude Ranch kennel http://www.doggyduderanch.com/

Our last dog was a really mellow sweetie who did fine in any kennel she stayed at. Her predecessor, a hyper border collie, generally hated them. So a lot depends on the dog's temperament.

Keep in mind that distances inside Yellowstone, and in and around most of the western parks are huge, by eastern standards. A lengthy stay inside your AS while you go touring may not be a good option.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It of course is not the campground attendants job to let a dog out...I was thinking in case of an emergency, like a fire, to save the dogs life.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Oh, fer sure Maggie. When we had our beloved Sammy with us, we basically left her in the vehicle for a short while with good weather, and ideally, shade. She was happy. But if we worried about her cooking in the truck, we basically took turns as to who went out to catch the sights, and who walked her around the parking lot.

Most of the national parks do have roadside vistas and pull-outs, which are fine for touring with a dog without having to leave it in the vehicle for extended periods. But generally in a big park like Yellowstone, you're gone for the day because the distances are so long, and the maximum speed is really slow.