Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Manvel , Texas
RVTripWizard is a great resource for trip planning, its subscription based, but well worth it.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com
bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

"three weeks is not enough ... what to do??"

Back in the day (late 1950's) the answer was to talk to the boss and "move" one year's vacation time into the next year. Then three weeks turns into six weeks. Pull out in June and back in August.

For us, that didn't work. Taking 6 weeks off work ... nope. Our answer was to fly out and rent a vehicle. We were in tents (and baggage limits sort of didn't exist) so it all worked out. Two weeks here this year. Two weeks there next year. We didn't see everything, but we did have fun.

One really weird idea that pops up around campfires: Store the trailer out west somewhere ( maybe Denver). If the TV is dedicated to towing, store it out there as well. You then have a *much* quicker shot to start the vacation. After a couple years, you've seen the west and you move the trailer back east. I've never / ever run into anybody who actually *did* this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Smile

To the OP - Glad you have found some way to enjoy your new Airstream. As I mentioned earlier, the first step before taking a big trip is getting comfortable with short trips. As to your ultimate question of;

"The question is how will I do so in the near term without having to fly out there?"

If you want to enjoy the west and not fly, you are going to have to drive. If you really want to explore the West I would suggest not waiting until you retire or waiting until it is more convenient for you. There are plenty of people who wait till the time is perfect and for many reasons they never get there. Life is short. Do what you want to do.

I agree with StreamNYtme that 3 weeks is not enough time to see more than 1 National Park. So, you just take them 1 at a time. Allow 1 week of travel time to get out and back. That gives you 2 weeks to enjoy 1 or maybe 2 National Parks. In Utah, there are about 4 National Parks in relatively close proximity. You have Yellowstone and Grand Tetons as neighbors. Rocky Mtn National Park / Mesa Verde and Dinosaur NP could be done in Combo as well. Each of those is doable over a 2 week time frame.

You will be exhausted getting there and back but that gives you 2 weeks to recover.

One summer my wife was not working. She drove the RV and kids from Charlotte, NC to Little Rock, Ark. I was on business in DC. I flew to Little Rock and took a taxi to the CG. We continued to our Western destination from there. Uncle Bob had a good option as well. You will have to consider doing a good winterization job for your RV and batteries to survive the winter. Do you have a friend or family out West that can store your RV on their property for a year to get 2 trips in?

We have driven 3 days straight to get to the Grand Canyon from the Carolina's. 35 hrs to get to Jackson Hole, WY. 32 hours straight from Steamboat Springs, CO. The drive it tough but they were all great trips. We were in our 40's - 50's when we did those. I'm 64 now and retired so I can afford to take my time now.

IMO, you can do whatever you want to do. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Sometimes you just have to do it. If you have children, they will grow up fast. The best time to convince them to do this with you is when they don't know any better!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the suggestion of leaving the trailer out west somewhere and flying or driving to/from is a really excellent one if you want to explore the west on limited vacation time.

If finances permit, of course.

Maggie