Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Best wishes for your brother and the family. Hind sight is always 20/20 and i told you so was never a cure. concentrate on the issues at hand and keep a positive attitude. Be there for them.
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I run a TST TPMS and am curious if it would warn against all blowouts? I mean does a blow out give a temp or tire pressure warning so you know its going to go or do some of them just radically explode with no warning?

The reason I ask is because we had a horrendous blow out at highway speed on an interstate this year. It was diver side rear on the tow vehicle. We hear a thump thump thump and no sooner did we say "what is that" did we have the blow out.

Since then, TMPS and new tires, but I am not sure the TPMS would have saved us.

Blowouts can happen, and a TPMS won't prevent such or give much warning. A true blowout occurs very quickly, without gradual loss of pressure. My TST TPMS did sound the alarm when one of our Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL blew out at 65 mph on I 75 this year. No prior warning, just 50 to 0 psi in a few seconds. Just after dark, and 10 miles to the next exit. Slowed to 50, and our FC23FB rolled steadily on. Amazingly steady. Changed the tire at the next exit. Ruined the tire, but safer than changing it on the shoulder in the dark. 20,000 miles on the 2 year old Michelin, it was simply a road hazard that left a huge cut in the tread near the sidewall. Resolved any questions of the value of carrying a spare on the Airstream.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Blowouts can happen, and a TPMS won't prevent such or give much warning. A true blowout occurs very quickly, without gradual loss of pressure. My TST TPMS did sound the alarm when one of our Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL blew out at 65 mph on I 75 this year. No prior warning, just 50 to 0 psi in a few seconds. Just after dark, and 10 miles to the next exit. Slowed to 50, and our FC23FB rolled steadily on. Amazingly steady. Changed the tire at the next exit. Ruined the tire, but safer than changing it on the shoulder in the dark. 20,000 miles on the 2 year old Michelin, it was simply a road hazard that left a huge cut in the tread near the sidewall. Resolved any questions of the value of carrying a spare on the Airstream.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
Yes, like was said before, bad things can happen even to the best tires, like road hazards. I would not leave home without a really good spare. I picked up a nail in the sidewall of my 16" Michelins, the ones Airstream puts on the Eddie Bauer at the factory, and I was in a wilderness area, far away from a tire store. Glad I had the spare mounted on a Sendel wheel, ready to go. It was still holding air, and I didn't notice the nail until we were setting up camp. And no, the TPMS would probably would not have alerted me, it was still full of air. I have a TPMS but don't like using it, and as previously stated will probably not help with a blowout.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Please keep us updated on his status, lots of people here praying for him. A front tire blowout on a moho is always very very dangerous.

Unfortunately police always look surprised when the driver can walk away, even when it's a truck and an Airstream trailer.

Paula
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnie View Post
Can one be put on a travel trailer ( our Airstream) sounds like even tho it might be one more monitor to watch, it might be worth watching.

Yes

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Prayers for your brother and his wife. I broke my back in December and herniated two discs. Lots of pain from the discs to this day, but back healed and no further problems from it. I pray your brother has the same fortune.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
On my way to the International at Bozeman MT, the inside rear tire on my AS LY blew out, taking part of the exterior of the motor-home. It was at Bozeman that I found out about TPMS and bought the Pressure-Pro system (it was the only one around at the time). That system only monitored the tire pressure.

When I bought my current AS Excella trailer, I also bought the Tire-Minder TPMS system, for both the AS & TV (1999 Dodge 2500). That system monitored both the pressure and the temperature. In many cases, the failure is preceded by a rise in temperature, causing the pressure to exceed what the tire can handle and thus blow-out. The problem I encountered with the Tire-Minder system was that the tabs connecting the batteries in them would lose electrical contact. I was forever cleaning and adjusting them as I had been shown by the guys selling Tire-Minder (met them at a Good Sam Rally in Syracuse NY). After I had the blowout in 2013 and the Tire-Minder never sounded its alarm, I knew it was time to find a more reliable TPMS system. In conjunction with a complete upgrade to a new running gear, as well as moving to 16” Sendels & Michelin LTX225/75R16(E) tires, I installed the Dill TPMS system. It also monitors both pressure and temperature.

While a walk-around serves to check that the system is OK prior to departure, once on the road, the TPMS is there to alert you to changed conditions; if your alarm sounds because the temperature has elevated, then you need to pull over and stop to see why. The TPMS is one of the tools for safe travel. Better safe than sorry.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Glad they are ok. Inspecting tires at every stop is the best way to prevent problems. I am always finding screws and nails in tires before they go flat. Just paying attention to that nail head in a tire tread or seeing one tire sitting low compared to the others. I see tires running down the road all the time that are about to blow. Feel the tires, you can tell if one is running hot compared to the others. A blind man can tell you which tire is low on pressure. Maybe we need to carry a blind man with us to tell us which tire is low.

Perry
If a tire is low enough for you to see it, then it is too low to be driven on. A loss of 20% of the required air pressure can result in structural tire damage if it is driven on.

If this low inflation is discovered at a fuel stop how many miles were driven when it was low?
Simply putting air back in a tire that has been driven when significantly under-inflated with no more "fix it" than putting the burnt hot dog back in the refrigerator will "fix" the hot dog.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
When a radial truck tire self destructs resulting in an instant loss of all air pressure, the expensive TPMS will sound the alarm only after all the damage has been done
Why would a tire simply self destruct with instant loss of air if it was OK just prior to the failure?

Failures occur for a reason. and most of the time that reason can be traced to one of two reasons.
Operating while under-inflated or overloaded

Operating after the belt rubber has been damaged from age & excess heat. This will usually leave indications with localized tread wear at the location where the separation initiated.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #50
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
An update.

My brother had back surgery yesterday. They fused several vertebrae together. He will have a recovery (rest) period of about 6 to 8 weeks. They can't travel for at least 2 to 3 weeks, then airplane home, with the dog down below.

He'll be in a lot of pain, but he'll be able to walk again, so very good news there.

The moho has been towed to a storage yard. It's going to a repair shop in New Mexico that specializes in that brand. It might be totaled.

This is his second broken back from an accident, the first when he was in college. He's not likely to drive an RV again, but he'll be alive and that's all we care about.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I pray that the pain goes away over time and he can resume a reasonably normal life.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Nearly Lost His Life over $300

Glad the diagnosis stopped there. Best to you and your family.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I am glad he is going to be ok...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
All the best to your brother and family, hopefully he will have a speedy recovery.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Tmps

I had a blowout on the outside dual on my 345.
I had checked pressure before leaving and I did feel tires at every stop
Admittedly the tire that blew had marginal tread at best, I think it was a road hazard that blew the tire
My motor home is a constant work in progress
But when I find an extra $300 the TMPs is very high on the list of things to get
I'm in the school of thought that information is priceless
And anything to help improve safety is probably worth it
Lots of good information on this forum
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Yes, like was said before, bad things can happen even to the best tires, like road hazards. I would not leave home without a really good spare. I picked up a nail in the sidewall of my 16" Michelins, the ones Airstream puts on the Eddie Bauer at the factory, and I was in a wilderness area, far away from a tire store. Glad I had the spare mounted on a Sendel wheel, ready to go. It was still holding air, and I didn't notice the nail until we were setting up camp. And no, the TPMS would probably would not have alerted me, it was still full of air. I have a TPMS but don't like using it, and as previously stated will probably not help with a blowout.
If the nail entered the air chamber, air would have leaked out and the TPMS should have provided a warning. Now if the nail was just sticking in the rubber and had not penetrated then of course you would get no warning as there was no pressure change.
Maybe you have unrealistic expectations for the ability of current technology to lower the risk of failure.
True "blowouts" or more accurately "Run Low Flex Failures" are the condition that TPMS were designed to address. With a majority of RV owners having one or more tire low on air the objective was to provide warning in advance of a failure.

TPMS will not warn about most belt separations as this is not their design intent.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Last weekend I was attending the WBCCI Region 5 Rally in Goshen, IN and I picked up a Tire Traker TPMS system from a vendor. I paid $219 for a 4 tire system. A 6 tire system is $289. The prices are getting more reasonable for these systems.

Home Page

https://www.tiretraker.com/

Tire Traker recommended that I purchase the booster for the system due to the interference from the aluminum shell but I decided to try the system without the booster for awhile. I drove home 5+ hours and it seemed to work great without the booster.
This TPMS system has been on my wish list for quite some time so yeah it was an impulse buy

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Last weekend I was attending the WBCCI Region 5 Rally in Goshen, IN and I picked up a Tire Traker TPMS system from a vendor. I paid $219 for a 4 tire system. A 6 tire system is $289. The prices are getting more reasonable for these systems.

Home Page

https://www.tiretraker.com/

Tire Traker recommended that I purchase the booster for the system due to the interference from the aluminum shell but I decided to try the system without the booster for awhile. I drove home 5+ hours and it seemed to work great without the booster.
This TPMS system has been on my wish list for quite some time so yeah it was an impulse buy

Been happy with my Traker system for 5+ years
Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Tst 510

Ok so I posted here just a while Back "as soon as I have an extra $300 it's high on my list...
I didn't find an extra $300 but I just put it on my almost maxed out credit card
Like I said in my previous post, I believe information is priceless!
I'm doing a lot of repairs this week while the RV is at home, this is now added to the list!
I believe visa should have given me this for free
After all IF it saves my life, I'll be around longer to pay them off
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Best of luck on your brother's recovery... I think TPMS onboard is the responsible course of action for anyone driving or pulling a big rig. I have it on my truck and will have on our new-to-us AS after we upgrade the tires to 16" and replace the axles/brakes (with disc brakes). The life you save may not be just your own. I always do a walk around to check the lights, tires, storage doors, etc. been lucky so far. I know in my motorcycle tires the shop puts in this stuff to help in case there is a tire leak, almost a run-flat additive. Anyone know what I'm talking about and know if it could be used in RV applications?
Regards,
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote