Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Near Manhattan Dry Camping - Floyd Bennett Field

I am curious if anyone in the forums has camped at Floyd Bennett Field within the New York Harbor Parks system? The literature shows currently six RV campsites (all dry camping) with plans to double that, all at a facility noted for historic planes and easy access via the MTA 2 and 5 lines into the city. It seems to me a good alternative to Liberty Harbor at $20/night. I'd like to hear opinions on the site if anyone has camped there.

Floyd Bennett Field

-- Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have heard of others staying there, and it seems perfectly adequate for the location.

I think there are pictures somewhere.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Coming from Va. you want to consider the time and tolls to get across New York city to save $20.00.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
The inferred benefits would be $60/night savings over Liberty Harbor RV park (at the acceptance of dry camping,) the aviation aspect of the field park and the increased access late night or inclement weather into and from the city via the MTA schedule versus the more limited ferry service.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Some members of the NOVA group visited Liberty Park and Floyd Bennet Field last August, Including Lou and Larry Woodruff on Airstream Forums. They seemed to have a good time. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i never went there but i did look up the commuter train time and google shows a one way trip taking 1:33 minute minimum.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
Some members of the NOVA group visited Liberty Park and Floyd Bennet Field last August, Including Lou and Larry Woodruff on Airstream Forums. They seemed to have a good time. Sal
They would be loudruff on the Forums. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Camping at Floyd Bennett Field

Larry and I camped at this newest of National Parks last summer in August. We found that there was a nice discount to camp there if you are a senior. We had the National Parks pass too, so we paid $10/night. We spent 4 nights there. When we were there it was no amenities! The field has a couple of portolets, but they were pretty well used. There is a dump station. The camp sites back up to the Airplane restoration museum. That was way cool! Very short walk to get there. This is in the midst of alot of activities as the field has been repurposed to include training areas for police, fire, sanitary workers, helicopter flight training and bicycle racing. There is an area for radio controlled planes, soccer fields and fishing. Some late afternoons were very noisy, but entertaining.
While we were there we noticed that park offices, a shower/bath facility were being planned/under development. We were hoping that they would be open by now, but we have not researched that. Park officials were not very visible while we were there. Offices were in the main Control Tower/museum. We never felt unsafe while we were there and left our AS unattended. We used this cg as a home base while we explored Long Island and vicinity.
If you are going download the Dept. of Transportation Maps to find a route suitable for towing a trailer. (You are not to use beltways! Expressways are ok.) We had NO trouble dealing with traffic the length of Flatbush Ave. through Brooklyn, as long as you miss rush hour and put on your patience.
It IS New York!!
We should have taken our generators to use AC or charge batteries. If we had stayed longer it would have been nice. A camper next door had a large genny and asked if we would like to hook up. Some folks who are transient workers seem to camp there.
We found everyone in New York City to be friendly and helpful and had NO difficulties!
We also stayed a couple of nights at Liberty Harbor, in Jersey City, NJ. That was expensive, but we figured that we saved on transportation and parking by being there. The Pathway is only a few blocks away and an easy walk. Liberty Harbor had a problem with low voltage during the day, and we were very disappointed about that. Evening hours some of us had better power, but running the AC was questionable. The CG is a big gravel parking lot and sites are very close quarters. Unbeatable for access to Manhattan and bus and trains to go sightseeing. We all invested in a group tour of NYC for a 7 hr. trip. It was efficient and a good value. The second day we went on our own to see the things we wanted to see in more detail. On Board Tours was the name of the company. They have a shuttle bus, with driver and guide. The guide gets on and off the bus WITH you, and the shuttle bus waits to pick you up. You can PM us if you need more info.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
RichinNY - yep - assuming Times Square as the average, Flatbush into the city on the MTA 2 line is 1hr10 for local service trains and about 45 minutes express; both perfectly reasonable to my needs. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Loudruff - thanks so much for posting your feedback on the field. I hope to use it for my base of stay during "open house New York" this year in October. - cheers!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
An entire page in yesterday's Chicago Tribune, with pictures of a firepit and tent pitched, is devoted to this campground.

Trying to copy the url Chicago Tribune.

If you are interested, and this doesn't work, Google "Camping in Brooklyn".

Maggie