Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Planning a trip to Glacier this summer with my grands, either annual or date-specific passes for Going to the Sun Road are required, and cannot be purchased until beginning 4/29/21.

https://www.recreation.gov/sitepass/74280

The pass requires not only your name but vehicle license plate number, which will be an issue if one is renting a vehicle out there.

I have emailed the NPS as to how to handle this, and if I get a response I will post it here.

Otherwise, my plan is to purchase the pass using the license plate number on my Toyota.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Iíve emailed twice with no response on the dilemma of having to purchase a GTSR date specific pass today for a rental vehicle with license plate number I will not have until June.

This may be a real mess, with thousands of people...like me...trying today to get newly-required, special passes for trips to Glacier they have had planned for a year or more.

Maggie

Old 04-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Park Service is minimally staffed in the off season. Additionally, a lot of administrative staff are teleworking due to Covid-19. I would definitely try to call any park you need help with rather than e-mail.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did call Glacier, numerous times, no answer and no extensions even taking messages, but an email address supposedly manned and checked.

Tho doesn’t actually seem to be.

However, ready and waiting at 9:00am this morning to buy my ticket, it only took 6 minutes and maybe 30 refreshes of my cart to get it. !!!

For this trip with the grands, in the works for 3 years, continued to this year because of Covid.

Order #: 0392380844

Looked like there were about 400 tickets available for the date I selected.

Whew.

Maggie

Old 04-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
We are going to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt Rushmore and the Badlands this summer. I have not seen anything about needing park reservations on these. Anybody know anything different?
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Have you called each park and asked, as suggested by earlier posts? Relying on word-of-mouth, park Internet sites, and news reports, may not be the best route to take IMO.

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the National Park websites are reliable, as they have been consistent in updating their information.

Glacier requires the usual park pass for entrance, plus the Going to the Sun Road pass, which seem to be limited in number.

There are some exclusions, like if you have reservations inside the park.

I haven’t heard or read of special passes being needed anywhere else, but check the park website.

No one was answering the phone at Glacier, nor did any extension take messages, just telling you to call at another time.

Maggie

Old 04-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Maggie . . . still advise calling each park ASAP.

For instance, Yellowstone has a fee structure just to enter the park:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

On the very busiest days of this coming summer, during which vacation travel is going to bust a gut IMO [now that we appear to be coming out of all the extreme Covid-protection measures]. Is it possible, perhaps likely, that Yellowstone will be forced to institute some kind of "flood control" for daily visitors?

Very likely IMO.

One simple phone call now could give very specific information not available anywhere else. Yes, getting a live human being to provide this information might be difficult, but so would the disappointment of not having accurate info upon arrival at a "closed for the day" Yellowstone sign.

Each person's choice to be prepared ahead of time, or take chances . . . a no-brainer choice here IMO.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s true, there are recorded messages, just no one to answer questions the messages don’t cover.

Glacier has that same kind of fee structure, and tho I have a Golden Age Passport I bought one into the park that is good for a week, just in case.

Covid or no, I think it’s going to be a busy summer.

Maggie

Old 04-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Yup . . . gonna break all records . . . just wait and see . . . true pandemic pandemonium . . .

Old 05-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Currently Looking...
Southern Pines , North Carolina
Has anyone been able to buy a ďGoing to the Sun road pass ticket?Ē I found the page on rec.gov but appears like they havenít opened up sales yet despite them saying the tickets would go live on Apr 29th. Also understand they will only release them 60 and 2 days out?
NC-Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

However, ready and waiting at 9:00am this morning to buy my ticket, it only took 6 minutes and maybe 30 refreshes of my cart to get it. !!!

For this trip with the grands, in the works for 3 years, continued to this year because of Covid.

Order #: 0392380844
You had to be ready, and fast.

The site was very busy and I had repeated error messages before I was finally able to add a pass to my cart.

If you click on the date you want, it will tell you when sales open up if it is more than 60 days out.

Or, the date a limited number more tickets open up two days prior if it is less than 60 days out.

Maggie

Old 05-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Very helpful details Maggie thanks.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Yosemite NP

I am up HWY 120 near Yosemite quite a bit (once or twice per week). I decided to check it out. Last week (4-22-21) I drove up, Showed my Golden Age pass and drove right through. No reservation needed at this time! However policy can change at any time. Earlier this year they did require reservations to just enter and day trip around. CA, is slowly opening up from covid-19. However, unless you live near a particular NP it would be best to visit there website or call ahead. That would go for all of the NP's.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yosemite reservations required sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I am up HWY 120 near Yosemite quite a bit (once or twice per week). I decided to check it out. Last week (4-22-21) I drove up, Showed my Golden Age pass and drove right through. No reservation needed at this time! However policy can change at any time. Earlier this year they did require reservations to just enter and day trip around. CA, is slowly opening up from covid-19. However, unless you live near a particular NP it would be best to visit there website or call ahead. That would go for all of the NP's.

-Dennis
Great feedback Dennis . . . thanks . . . emphasis added above!

Old 05-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
. . .
I've searched around and haven't found anywhere where we can make such a reservation for our May trip out west.
. . .
Wondering if you [OP] have any up-to-date info on this, per the recent comments?

Thanks David.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I feel pretty certain that all of the big national parks are not doing this special-ticket entry that the GTSR is doing.

At least, not at this time.

It would be on their websites, so if you check those and call the park you wish to visit for their pre-recorded announcements, you will know.

Glacier’s website said exactly when GTSR tickets were opening up, for what time period, and even that they recommended establishing an account at recreation.gov and being logged in when tickets opened up.

I don’t believe special, limited permits are going to suddenly jump out at visitors, just do your own due diligence.

Maggie

Old 05-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Just returned from visiting the 5 National Parks in Utah. All Mesa Verde, Arches, Capital Reef, Bryce and Canyonland were busy but you could get in with no problem if you enter early.
Zion was another issue. The Main road was closed to all but NP Trams. Passes were required to get on a tram on the main road through the park. Apparently passes were available earlier in the year but not at the time we were there except:
1) Get on line at 5pm. the night prior to the date you want the passes and hopefully you will get passes. We were not able to get any this way, all were gone already even at exactly 5 pm !!
2) Stand in line until 2pm at the visitors center in the park and hope to get passes. We were not interested in standing in line a long time, however folks we were with stood in line from 11:30 and we joined them later.

The trams have been modified for COVID, many seats were removed, consequently less people could get on a tram, there were lines to get on the trams.

Most of the visitor centers/museums in these NP's were not open, rangers helped people outside the building. Our trip was in March and April. I can not imagine it in the summer.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
. . .
. . . Our trip was in March and April. I can not imagine it in the summer.
Thanks.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I hope it is not as crazy this year in Glacier for those of you wanting to visit...last 5 years it has steadily gotten way overcrowded to visit. Many more day use or tent campers were out this past season, than I have ever seen! We camped outside the park and day tripped in. It has gotten to the point GTSH can be even more dangereous...the increase in bike riders make it even more scary! Last year the lack of planning for staff due to Covid, made it ridiculous to even try to get up to Logan Pass visitor center, if you got there very early. I understand the restrictions they have implemented. Even the reservation requirements for camping in other NPs or SP's have made it difficult for many who are used to "first come first served" camping. Not fun out there anyat more for sure, if you aren't familiar with the situation where you intend to go. We spend a lot of time in the Tetons but try to camp "outside" Yellowstone and just drive thru or day visit...Tetons did not open till late in Spring last season..I remember waiting in line for Gros Venture for opening day...i was there in line at 6am...and was still a fair ways back in the line on the road. Don't see it changing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote