Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Nascar fans/ North Carolina

We are making plans for our vacation and this year we are headed to the Charlotte race in May. We would love any advice any of yall can give us.
Looks as though Fleetwood rv resort is the camping there. I plan on calling them in the morning, has anyone been there? This will be our sons first race and he is 7 should I ask for family camping?

Thanks for any advice,
Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Becky,
Haven't done Charlotte but have been to Talledega, Daytona and Atlanta. My advice is to get a pair of those fake bubba teeth and bring lot's of money and beer...you will need both. For some reason I spend more at the race then Disneyland! Actually, we've met some of the best people camping at NASCAR races and the event is more exciting then the superbowl in terms of energy in the air. Have a good time.
In edit...Yes, get the family camping area. I would not bring a 7 year old into the dry camping area.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
My husband goes to Talladega and has for years, and I have heard some real horror stories. So this year since we got the Airstream I told him we would go to one race but it would not be in Alabama, and the race in July in Daytona is to hot for me.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I am not much help for the Charlotte area,I go to Bristol every year,Gut you should ask for family camping,If my memory is correct there is a non alcohol section at Lowes Motorspeedway,I bet it is a small area,,,,
Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Those main road side spots are usually where the guy with the RV likes to put out a large banner that says, "Show me your ****". No matter where you park in an RV lot you will probably still have to walk through the revelry and step over the beer cans. I'm familiar with the Indy 500 (open wheel) and Brickyard 400 (NASCAR). It's a party plain and simple the night before. If you are trailering an Airstream or toading with an Airstream motorhome you have the option of camping remotely at a normal campground and driving in and parking with the normal average fans that do likewise.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Thanks for all the advice, I think we will try to find a campsite with full hookups and drive in (a pain in the rear) I'm sure my son is going to just love it. And yes drag us back another year.

Becky
Old 12-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Becky, I think you made the right decision even if inconvient. I've been to many NASCAR races (Riverside was the greatest) and some of the antics in the camping area were hard for a openminded adult to handle. Charlotte is a great place and always a super race...joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
NASCAR and camping at Charlotte

A great place to camp near Charlotte, is Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury. It is a county nature park, with two point hookups and clean shower houses. There is a lake, nature trails, hiking trails, a carousel and minature train for both kids and adults. Our NC Vintage group camped at this park in November and had a great turnout.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote