Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Muskegon , MI
Must haves for our first road trip

Hello everyone

I'm looking for suggestions on the must haves, things to make travel safer/easier inside and out. My husband & I are embarking on a 2 1/2 month trip starting in mid Jan, we'll be leaving MI, heading South to FL and then West to AZ ending at our sons home in OR. In the past we owned a 30ft travel trailer and camped locally, but never a trip like this.
So any tricks/hacks suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Heidi

P.S. suggested sightseeing is also appreciated
Heidi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Check with your doctor about travel plans and what pharmacy you use.

While in VT last summer we came down with Covid. Doctors cannot often issue prescriptions out-of-state…but fortunately we use Walmart Rx …and our Dr called the WM local to our home…who transferred the Rx to the WM in VT.
A “virtual visit” on my cell phone with our Dr allowed him to see/assess our condition…and a we simply stayed in bed with chicken-noodle soup (Progresso) and it turned out just fine. I’m not a fan particularly of WM…. but Few other pharmacies will do this.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Actually, all the big pharmacy chains will transfer prescriptions to the one in your current location…Walgreens, CVS, etc.

I’ve been doing that with Walgreens for 15+ years.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We spend our summers on the road and simply move our prescriptions to where were are located when they are filled. We use CVS and as long as we are in the US, there are no issues. Canada pharmacies will only fill prescriptions from Canadian Doctors.

We also use a mail service that scans the mail and send emails to inform us. The post office will only forward 1st class mail to our mail service which eliminates most of the junk.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Must haves...well, patience, and a plan. Good weather and travel apps on phone and PC. A great Internet source accessible all over the country. Two different credit cards from two different banks, if one gets stolen or lost or does not function. The one tool I managed to use every single day was a pair of EMT shears.
Check out a Harvest Host's membership, and search for places to stay along your route. From vineyards to museums to golf courses, it makes for an interesting journey. For example, the Tallahasee Auto Museum has great parking, and a wonderful place to visit.
Use RVTripWizard for planning.
Think about the journey and what you want to experience.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Besides lots of money? Our longest trips cost about a dollar a mile—gas in Canada and Alaska cost a lot, but now it is the about the same in the US.

Information—reservations have to be made often, a book on strange places to see in the US is a fun addition to any long trip, good maps so you can see the whole state, region, etc. instead of a narrow strip on a screen. Many states will send you free a state map and other info since maps aren’t free anymore.

Lots of tools and extra parts. Latches on drawers were frequently failing and quite expensive at a strange RV store in a place you’ve never been. Sealer for leaks since leaks happen frequently. If you plan to visit remote places, a tire repair kit and a windshield ding repair kit can be helpful.

Make sure your health insurance is good in all states.

Basic medical kit with thermometer, band aids, gauze, tape, Ace bandages, Covid test kits,
pain relief such as Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen, meds for several weeks longer than the trip is scheduled to take.

Does your tow vehicle need special oil, filter? Might have to bring some if you are in remote areas.

Do you have enough data for checking stuff out along the way? Check on whether your phone can be a hotspot where campground wifi is bad (frequently). A basic printer can be helpful when you want to print stuff out about what’s ahead, bills paid, etc. You many need extra ink and paper too.

Think about what you might want to see that you never thought about before. Will you need special clothes or other stuff for that? We read a lot of travel books for our longest trips and they greatly enhanced the experience. Since we usually had destinations, we didn’t have to buy ones for every state and province, so think about what is important to you and what you’ve never thought of doing and do that too.

An extra water hose (they don’t last long), hose washers, new filter for fresh water, extra sewer hose parts too.

A taste for adventure.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I haul all kinds of stuff around. Duct tape Fuses. Bottle Jack. Big ole box of tools. Generator. Propane. 3 water hoses. Extra length of sewer hose. Extension cords. Battery charger. Bikes. Grill. Air compressor. Pop up tent. Dehumidifier. Walking sticks. Torque wrench. Numerous power adaptors, 30 to 50 amp, 50 to 30 amp, 30 to 15 amp, etc. Axe, Hatchet, Broom, Dewalt power driver, Box of polishes, oils, silicone sprays, waxes, Grease, hand air pump, Chocks, wood blocks, 2x8's and 2x10s and levelers, rug, citronella candles, a couple hunks of rolled rubber roofing, surge protector, water psi regulator, water filter and spare, spare city water inlet, gasket kit for airstream, spare hitch parts, other spare parts, rivet gun and rivets, bungee cords, jumper cables....

And a whole long list of other assorted stuff.

Now, bare bones necessities. Power cord. Water hose. Sewer hose. Torque Wrench and socket for lug nuts and hitch nuts. Bottle Jack. Leveling equipment and wheel chocks, and duct tape

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Straight Kentucky Sour Mash Bourbon…but don’t get caught with it outside your trailer in state/nat’l parts or on Indian Reservations.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I haul all kinds of stuff around. Duct tape Fuses. Bottle Jack. Big ole box of tools. Generator. Propane. 3 water hoses. Extra length of sewer hose. Extension cords. Battery charger. Bikes. Grill. Air compressor. Pop up tent. Dehumidifier. Walking sticks. Torque wrench. Numerous power adaptors, 30 to 50 amp, 50 to 30 amp, 30 to 15 amp, etc. Axe, Hatchet, Broom, Dewalt power driver, Box of polishes, oils, silicone sprays, waxes, Grease, hand air pump, Chocks, wood blocks, 2x8's and 2x10s and levelers, rug, citronella candles, a couple hunks of rolled rubber roofing, surge protector, water psi regulator, water filter and spare, spare city water inlet, gasket kit for airstream, spare hitch parts, other spare parts, rivet gun and rivets, bungee cords, jumper cables....

And a whole long list of other assorted stuff.

Now, bare bones necessities. Power cord. Water hose. Sewer hose. Torque Wrench and socket for lug nuts and hitch nuts. Bottle Jack. Leveling equipment and wheel chocks, and duct tape
^This is what I do. Lots of gear.

I little moxie will go a long way.

More money. Fewer clothes. Like most travel.

Add a dehumidifier. Desiccant if mostly cold camping. Compressor if mostly hot humid camping.

Residue-free duct tape is pretty handy. Blue painters tape.

I carry a left and a right brake assembly and the four or five tools to install them, which I did for the very first time while 1000 miles from home on our first long trip. It is easier than you think.

Add a riveter and the two major types of rivets. We popped four rivets during a recent seven-week trip. Practice three or four times at home on some scrap metal. It is easier than you think. The correctly sized drill bits sit in the bag with their rivets.

Tire-changing ramp.
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Extra fuses for the tongue jack are important to carry, not sure if the new trailers still use the slow blow fuses that are hard to find.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
There is a website dedicated to Airstream accessories.

https://airgear.store/

It has recommended maintenance items that would be helpful. Gets you started with the basics. Keeps you from spending more than necessary.

I use the ALLSTAYS app. Others use different apps. These are good for planning a trip because they are RV specific telling you where dump stations, gas stations, campgrounds, Rest areas, etc are.

I would get an EMS (electronic monitoring system) system of some type (Progressive is a good one) to protect against surges and electric issues in campgrounds. It’s listed above as “surge protector”, but an EMS is more than a surge protector. It can pick up low voltage which is horrible for your electric system. I have had a couple instances where this has picked up bad electrical issues. Cheap insurance.

Good first-aid kit. Flashlights (I like headlamps).

Here is a pre-printed list of essentials:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...printable/#all
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #12
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Must haves

Lists mentioned above are great - we adapted them to our own specific needs in form of a spreadsheet which I update with additions / deletions based on experience, and included things specific to what we do - hiking, cycling, kayaks etc. It helps as a checklist when getting ready to go. A generic version of ours is attached. Not complete by any means but a start...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf check list master 2022 copy.pdf (190.7 KB, 9 views)
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Muskegon , MI
So I'm not going to lie... The responses kinda terrify me, rivets popping, power surges, 50 to 30 amp, roller rubber roofing
I guess this is going to be a learning adventure... I hope my husband & I don't end up on an episode of "I survived" hahaha

But seriously Thank you all for the tips!!
Heidi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We also camp in a 25FB. It is a very comfortable floor plan. You will have a great Airstream Adventure. We have been Airstreaming for quite a while, almost seventeen years. We have logged over 2,200 nights of Airstream camping and have towed our Airstreams over 200,000 miles. We have traveled in all of the lower 48 states, Alaska, and most of the provinces in Canada.

All of the suggestions given are good ones. I will just add a couple of things. I carry a spare of all the important accessories. Those is the items needed to hook up electric, water, and sewer. I also carry a complete set of tools. If you do have a problem, you can most often fix it yourselves. There are You Tubes on just about everything. If the issue is something that you can't handle, don't think that you need to seek out an Airstream dealer. Most any RV dealer with a service department can handle the issue. Remember that most of the systems in your Airstream are common to all RV's.

I will make one last point. Enjoy the ride and see the country. Get off the Interstates. Take the US and State highways. They are more enjoyable to drive and you actually get to see something.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Jones View Post
So I'm not going to lie... The responses kinda terrify me, rivets popping, power surges, 50 to 30 amp, roller rubber roofing
I guess this is going to be a learning adventure... I hope my husband & I don't end up on an episode of "I survived" hahaha

Yes it can be a bit daunting.

One thing you will realize is that everyone camps differently. Therefore, what one person needs another may not. I wouldn't worry about roller rubber roofing. But rivets will pop. Power will surge, etc. You will need power adapters. Things will go wrong. Repairs will need to be made. Hinges will come off. Screws will come loose. Hitches will need to be adjusted. Plumbing may leak. It's all part of the adventure. But thankfully that doesn't all happen at once, so not everything will be needed on the road. For example, a popped rivet can wait until you are home to fix.

Also remember there are hardware stores to get stuff on the way. Just make sure you have a reasonably good set of tools. You don't need large socket wrench sets. I would focus on a good home repair tool kit that one can get on Amazon, and then add to that. For example a small pipe wrench will come in handy.

Such as:
KingTool 325 Piece Home Repair Tool Kit, General Home/Auto Repair Tool Set, Toolbox Storage Case with Drawer, General Household Tool Kit - Perfect for Homeowner, Diyer, Handyman.

And you will find out along the way with your style of camping what works best.

I will have to say that you can figure on spending 2 or 3 thousand just getting your camper ready to roll down the road.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Do not over think this, there are plenty of Walmarts along your route to pick up what you are missing, I assume you are heading south through Texas, Big Bend National Park is a wonderful place to visit during the cooler months and we have lots of awesome state parks across the state, especially along the gulf. Goose Island State Park if you want to see Whooping Cranes, Mustang Island State Park on the gulf (between Port Arthur and Corpus Christi) is one of our favorites because of its access to the sights in CC and North Padre Island

You are going to have a great trip.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
Do not over think this, there are plenty of Walmarts along your route to pick up what you are missing
If you add up everything that has been listed and everything that other folks bring, you will need a semi-trailer to carry it all! I was surprised to see that we do carry much of what is listed, but then as the years go by, I drop some things and sometimes add a few new things, but as others have alluded to, you are not going to be all that far from civilization and you will find a nearby Walmart if you are stuck (even in Canada, in addition to a Canadian Tire and other chains from coast to coast).
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
I do not like to camp in parking lots. To date I have not been brave enough to try boondocking in a national forest somewhere. I prefer state and national park campgrounds if I wish to stay more than one night. I most often stay at privately owned campgrounds for overnight stays (travel days). I have learned that I need to have a camping reservation for each night's stay or else I cannot relax and enjoy the journey. Relaxing and enjoying myself is the main reason I have my Airstream! I wouldn't worry too much about making sure you have tools, parts, etc...yes if you are handy it is nice to have such things on hand when you need them, but usually you will not.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Jones View Post

It's a portable home, bouncing down the road. A rather harsh environment for equipment. Things can and do go wrong.

But, the frequency of breakage and repairs are pretty low, with lots of miles and camping days in between.

And, when things do break, they seldom ruin your day or your trip. Also many things are easy to fix if you are reasonably handy with basic tools and can hit a Walmart or hardware store for parts.

So go out and enjoy your adventures and not worry about the next repair :-)
foobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I believe the rubber roofing is just to have something to lay on without getting dirty/wet if you need to work on the trailer or maybe to tape over a broken window.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote