Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #1

2006 19' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Movin' to Nashville

Hi y'all,

We just learned that's the way to say hi in Nashville.

A new adventure awaits us as we move to Nashville, work related, in mid-June. We plan to drive our 2006 V-8 Toyota 4Runner and new (October) 2006 19' Bambi. Any and all route, camping suggestions would be very welcomed.
Some learned friends say take I40 all the way, some say I10 to I20 to I55 to I40. Your thoughts? We plan on taking a minimum of 5 days for the trip.

Thanks in advance for the help, we appreciate your input.
Norm, Gwen
Norm Potoksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The southern route across I-10/I-20 etc is more direct. Lots of nice things to see along the way. The Northern route I'm not familiar with. That would be my way to go; never been there before!

If you haven't spent much time in this neck of the woods, that new Bambi of yours is gonna love it around here. There are some great camping areas within a few hours drive of Nashville.

Why not keep us up to date while making your trek our way? Got a laptop with WAN access? We love to hear about the journeys of our Airstream bretheren.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Potoksy
Hi y'all,
Any and all route, camping suggestions would be very welcomed.
Some learned friends say take I40 all the way, some say I10 to I20 to I55 to I40. Your thoughts? We plan on taking a minimum of 5 days for the trip.

Norm, Gwen
I have done that trip. First and foremost, if you want to see the US get OFF the interstates. Ease up to the canyon lands of nothern AZ and southern Utah, see nothern NM (maybe cut across up by ship rock and over to Toas) then start easing your way back to the south. You will have a hard time going wrong so long as you avoid the interstates. Oh yeah, did I mention to use 2 lanes and avoid the interstates?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I can not help you with the road trip questions, seems we always go North or South but I am certain others will have info for you. Nashville is a great city, I wish you many happy years there.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Moving to Nashville

Welcome,
Bring your guitar. Everyone else has one here. We live just outside of Nashville and have been in the area for 46 years. You must be either a musician or work for Nissan. When you get here, let me know if you need any advise on places to camp. Lots to choose from. Lots of lakes and water sports. Hope youall like it.
Dan
P.S.
We got lots of grits and catfish.
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Potoksy
Hi y'all,

We just learned that's the way to say hi in Nashville.

A new adventure awaits us as we move to Nashville, work related, in mid-June. We plan to drive our 2006 V-8 Toyota 4Runner and new (October) 2006 19' Bambi. Any and all route, camping suggestions would be very welcomed.

Norm, Gwen
Norm,
I'm just southeast of Nashville and northwest of Chattanooga. I lived in Nashville from '69 through '86. I hope you will consider joining one of our informal rallies we have several times a year. It is usually to northern GA. and we have a great time.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
hi yall or how in the heck are you welcome to the south if you do take i20 to 155 an need a lay over an rest i have a lot on the lake all hook ups your welcome to stay a few days an no charge
oldwingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Norm and Gwen,
Should you choose to travel I-20 and need a layover in Texas, send us a note. We are two miles south of I-20, twenty minutes west of the DFW metroplex, in the peaceful countryside. We have 30amp electrical hookup and water for your use. You can park on the drive and be in and out in no time if you like.
We travel east to Nashville and beyond often enough and know the roughest stretches of I-20/I-30/I-40. Our advice is to simply avoid I-20 East of Texas and Louisiana. I-30 is fine once you get out of the DFW Metropolitan area traffic and is smooth sailing until you get to the Little Rock area. There is a section of ten or twenty miles after you intersect I-40 that is a little rough. Again, once you approach Memphis it just pays to slow down, especially as you approach the Big Muddy. This stretch is loaded with patched and unpatched rough spots. After you cross the bridge into Memphis slow to 35 mph around St. Judes Hospital and the tricky construction area that never seems to finish. It's smooth sailing from there to "Music City".
Let us know if we can be of any additional help with recommendations on state parks or private camping stops along your route.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome to this side of the country! We look forward to having you over here and seeing you at the campgrounds!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
You need to come down 24

Land between the lakes.Run from Tennessee to Kentucky.Its a state park.Yearly back country permit or 20 or 25.00 a year kids stay with you free if you have some.The other site run anywhere from 8.00 a night to 25 in someplace.You can stay up to 14 days on one site.They also start a few years back with seasonal site starting from 270.00 for 6 months to around 2600.00 for six months.You can leave ur camper there the whole time if you like but you must check on it once a week.Your 45 min from us and where 45 min from Land between the lakes.There something for the whole family there.We normal go every week ends start in April.Then we go down for weeks at a time starting in June.But this year we haven't been yet do to making repairs on our camper....Hope your take a look .Heres the site www.lbl.org lots of infor and directions on how to get here. Hope this helps...
Old 05-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I have to agree with Pop and Mimi - I-20 thru Louisiana and Mississippi is one rough stretch of highway. That was the only area that I ever drove thru where the bumps were bad enough to keep popping the latch on my steps - I would hit an expansion joint and look in the right side mirror and there were the steps on the trailer, hanging out in the breeze. After the third time, I ended up securing them with bungee cords for the rest of the trip.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Norm and Gwen, Welcom to the forum. I lived in Nashville for 7 years in the 90s, great city. I would go across I 40. You will miss Huston and that is a good thing. I haven't been across it in a while but when I moved from Arizona to Nashville that is the way I went. Good luck on you move. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:01 AM   #13

2006 25' Safari SS SE
moscow , Tennessee
welcome fellow Californians

I Moved just outside Memphis last October but still work in LA - and I have been driving back and forth with my 25' Safari a few times a year for the last several now. When I have the time, from LA I prefer the northern route (I15 to I70 going through Nevada Utah, and Colorado (taking to time to see Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches at every oportunity). If you have the time, then go south on I25 and do side trips to see Taos and Santa Fe, you can then pick up I40 in Albuquerque. It may take a bit longer but in my opinion well worth the time. I do the I40 route straight out to the I10 when in a hurry - it is the quickest from here to LA. Don't forget that it can be VERY hot driving across the desert in June so plan accordingly. I am on 16 acres about 1 hour south of I40 if you need a layover just east of Memphis. Plenty of room for your Bambi.
10acKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Welcome to the South!!!

I cant help you on directions or the best way but I can fill you in on some southern style First of all let me let you breath a sigh of relief we do wear shoes and we do have concrete swimming pools. And as you have already learned yall and aint are commonly spoke here. You will love Nashville and what a nice trip to see the country on getting there.

Welcome to the South you hear.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Welcome to Nashville

Congrats on your move... There are plenty of places to camp (both dry and wet) here in TN... Great folks here too!!! You will find out that many have left California for TN (music biz, real estate prices, quality of life, Nissan, etc.). The only thing you will miss is the ocean. But that what the AS is for... I'm sure you will fit right in.

Welcome to Music City...

Mario
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote