Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Move Over!

There is a new wave of enforcing this law in Florida. According to my local NBC affiliate here, if there is a police or emergency vehicle on the side of the road with its beacons flashing, you are required to move over to the next lane away from the emergency vehicle if you are on a multi-lane highway, or reduce speed by 20 mph if on a single-lane highway. If you don't you will get an $84 ticket, and 3 points on your license.
It was stated they are going to be actively enforcing this law over the next few weeks. I remember reading another thread on this, but of course I can't find it now.
With the summer travel, and Labor Day weekend, many people on the forums will likely come to Florida, I would hate for you to get "pinched" for this.
Terry
Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
That makes sense. A High School friend of mine was killed on I-495 outside of Boston in the breakdown lane. He was a tow truck operator and was helping someone change a flat in the emergency lane when he was struck. He was 22 at the time.

As far as moving over, I have learned to to do what the truckers do. If they move over....I move over. I've noticed that many of them move over a lane or two for any vehicle in stopped in the emergency lane. They also typically call it out on the CB so you know it's coming up. I figure since they work here everyday I should follow their lead.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

many states are adopting this policy and post it roadside when you enter the state, illinois and missouri are two that come to mind. same as seatbelt and lights on laws. this one does make sense and we have been giving a wide berth to disabled vehicles for years as a common courtisy. roger n cindy
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
This was discussed at great length on a different forum I am on. This was passed in GA a while back.

While I think it's the right thing to do I think it's a double edge sword to make it a very publicized law. The logic of the law is sound and just but it fails to take into concideration Human stupidity.

The good common sense, decent drivers were already doing this. I have always attemped to merge over a lane to give the LEO room. Most drivers are not that attentive and don't look any farther then the bumper of the car they are tail gating and using as thier cruise control. Then the guy in front moves and they finaly look to see they are about to pass a LEO on the side of the road.

What is going to happen is when ever a LEO is seen people are going to about kill themselves to get over instead of slow down. Then some of the folks that are running slow are going to cut off somebody else running fast while they are trying to comply with the law. What happens next is there is going to be a high speed wreck with spinning cars and that officer is going to be in as much if not more danger as a result.

Its already made the news here where there have been pile ups where a LEO already had somebody else pulled over. The big three local news stations had made a big deal about this law when it came out and it was within a couple of days they were showing accdents and saying "this new law is supose to prevent this". It reality the new law may have contibuted to it.

Hate to say it but this law may cause more LEO injuries and fatailitys then it prevents.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Some Pass With an A and Pass With a C-

59Toaster

I agree with what you are saying about drivers who don't ~.

I run the traffic at hwy construction sites. The first thing that I do starting in the spring time is to give safety tips to watch for with the RV and Trailer pullers. There are RV and Trailer pullers who have not used their toys for a while and have just gotten them out of storage, or they just purchased it, or they are borrying / renting it from family or friends, or ..... and this driver is not acustom to driving with this weight or size. This makes them a danger to others if they should need to slow quickly or make moves to another lane.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
here in Texas, too

They've only really actively started enforcing/ticketing for it in the last several months, though. Common sense, and paying attention to what you're doing (which should be driving) are keys to it not creating more accidents and fatalities than it's designed to solve, however.

Sadly, in today's "schedule every second" "fast-food" mentality, those two things typically get blown out the automatic power drivers' side window at highway speed...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote