Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Motorcycles and AS TTs??

For years we've debated the whole MH v. TT issue. I'm sure you've all gone through it ("but then we can't bring the boat", "but this way we can unhitch and go to town w/o knocking down camp", "but this way we can haul the motorcycle too"..etc..etc).

So the misses and I, long-haul Harley tourers have finally decided that for now, we'd like to buy a TT. The decision is based on lower cost of ownership and such.

We'd still like to haul our bike ( a 1999 HDFLHTCUI, which for those not in the know is a fully dressed Harley), along with a TT which we've yet to buy, although we're looking at 2 this weekend.

So I wonder about ways to do this. I've seen 2 alternatives.

One that I saw this weekend at our annual MDA ride. A couple had a ginormous 5th wheel (sob) and on the back of the trailer they had a mechanical lift that they could drive their dresser on and it lifted up. My question on this is, could this be mounted on the back of an AS TT? I'm thinking the 800# bike and whatever the rack weighed would put unacceptible stress on the trailer since it pbbly was not designed to handle such a load, especially that far from the axles.

Here's another I've seen: http://www.tkloader.com This gizmo mounts in your PU truck and allows you a mechanical way to load your bike without the fear of loading on ramps. Has anyone seen or used one of these?

While we've never hauled our bike anywhere (it's a religous thing) we have desire to get to further and further places so we can spend time riding there rather than getting there. Since my wife rides as passenger, I have to do all the driving and it can get pretty tiring after awhile, not to mention the disgust I have for looking for hotel rooms and then having to eat in a crappy restaurant. This way my wife and I could share driving duties to get there quicker.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
JB
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Another idea for you.

My Aunt and Uncle had a 31ft Airstream and a Honda Goldwing which they carted back and forth to Florida for a number of years (snowbirds). They had a full size Dodge van and by removing the GoldWing's windshield were able to transport it in the back of the van - hook up the Airstream and away they went. They had a ramp that they pushed the Goldwing into the back of the van - no lifting.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Van idea

Ya..I thought of the van thing, I could even justify and write off a van for my work. We might consider it. Just have to make sure we have a place setup for our dog to sit while travelling. He likes to look over our shoulders as we drive.

Thanks for the idea!
jb
Old 07-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Unhappy truck camper

Hi John,

I have an ST1100 which I tour on from time to time. What I really want is a mini-Airstream to tow behind it! Like one of those little teardrop things. But seriously, I have gone round and round on this one. You absolutely can't mount it to the back of the trailer. Not only is it not designed for it, but it would ruin the trailer handling by acting as a pendulum back there.

I think the ideal combo, if you want to ride fairly frequently at places along the way, is to have a truck camper and tow the bikes. You can leave the camper in camp and ride the bikes for transportation. By far the easest access to the bikes, and best load distribution. I would be uncomfortable with an 800 lb bike in a van with me. If you hit something it would be an 800 lb projectile coming at you from behind. Plus any smells and fumes. No thanks. I have considered getting a smaller bike to go in the back of my truck that would be lighter and easier to load/unload, but then I have to get rid of my bed topper, which is where I store all my extra gear and the bicycles. So for now, unfortunately, the bike stays home when I am on the road. Sure miss it when the roads turn twisty!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-john
Old 07-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Downsize!

I have driven bikes all my life. The only way to continue to drive with our airstreams, is to ride our 1969 Vespa! It is light, and it is comfortable to see the National Parks, once we are there.
F
Old 07-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I have several HDs- only the addition of a child changed my traveling style into trailering. Before, I logged in a month as much as 7500 Miles in the US, and 8500 Miles(14000km) in Europe. Its a big change, but when you do it right it can be enjoyable...

I tried a diesel van, and now have a F350 CC 4X4 LB with a powerstroke, and also a converted Goshen Bus that was in private use, but resembles the airport rental car agancy buses. I stripped it out, installed an interior from a globetrotter in the front, put a ramp on the back, a bulkhead to divide it so I have a garage in the back and it hold 3 bikes, including my dresser. I paid less than $5K for the bus- with a Powerstroke, and less than 150K miles on it. It runs 75mph up the hills, pulling an AS, and gets 16MPG.

If you need a good off the shelf truck, get an E350 with a 7.3 and be ready to remove your windshield- and my custom ramp is 4' wide- excellent for loading up the hills- I can put my feet down or walk it up in 1st gear.

You'll break an AS frame by adding that much weight to the rear- 100%...
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
I have several HDs- only the addition of a child changed my traveling style into trailering. Before I logged as much as 7500 Miles in the US, and 8500 Miles(14000km) in Europe. Its a big change, but when you do it right it can be enjoyable...

I tried a diesel van, and now have a F350 CC 4X4 LB with a powerstroke, and also a converted Goshen Bus that was in private use, but resembles the airport rental car agancy buses. I stripped it out, installed an interior from a globetrotter in the front, put a ramp on the back, a bulkhead to divide it so I have a garage in the back and it hold 3 bikes, including my dresser. I paid less than $5K for the bus- with a Powerstroke, and less than 150K miles on it. It runs 75mph up the hills, pulling an AS, and gets 16MPG.

If you need a good off the shelf truck, get an E350 with a 7.3 and be ready to remove your windshield- and my custom ramp is 4' wide- excellent for loading up the hills- I can put my feet down or walk it up in 1st gear.

You'll break an AS frame by adding that much weight to the rear- 100%...
I'd love to see pics of your bus setup. I'm not crazy about the van thing for a lot of reasons, some mentioned, some not. The tkloader is the best bet for us, the only 2 drawbacks are money (I got a price of round $4,500) and of course I'd have to remove my truck topper which nixes a lot of necessary storage....but it's the money thing that will ulimately kill the idea<G>.

cheers
jb
Old 07-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

snearing wife syndrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
Hi John,

<snip>
I think the ideal combo, if you want to ride fairly frequently at places along the way, is to have a truck camper and tow the bikes. You can leave the camper in camp and ride the bikes for transportation. <snip>
-john
The only way to explain why this doesn't work would be for you to see the look on my wife's face whenever the subject of truck campers comes up. My wife and I are both claustrophopes and just don't care for the truck camper thing. Plus, I need my extended cab on my PU and I'd for sure need a full size bed camper which would make the vehicle too big for our little town.

Thanks for the suggestion.
cheers
jb

p.s. to all - I know the bike on the trailer thing won't work!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Trailer + Truck + Harley

I also own an Airsteram and a Harley, problem was that when we took the trailer I could not take the bike since the wife did not want to tow alone.

Problem solved , bought a 2004 Ford F250 HarleyDavidson pickup truck. Got the 8 foot bed so the bike will fit in the bed of the truck.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabofabo
I have driven bikes all my life. The only way to continue to drive with our airstreams, is to ride our 1969 Vespa! It is light, and it is comfortable to see the National Parks, once we are there.
F

Hehe 1965 Sears Allstate (125 Vespa) here. Going to put a rack on the front of the burb for it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWAIR
I also own an Airsteram and a Harley, problem was that when we took the trailer I could not take the bike since the wife did not want to tow alone.

Problem solved , bought a 2004 Ford F250 HarleyDavidson pickup truck. Got the 8 foot bed so the bike will fit in the bed of the truck.
Ya, but we need an extended cab (mostly for the dog but also because I keep a lot of tools, briefcases..etc up there for my day-job). By the time you get a full size bed and an extended cab, driving around town get's to be a real pain, the vehicle is just too long.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
<snip> also a converted Goshen Bus that was in private use, but resembles the airport rental car agancy buses. I stripped it out, installed an interior from a globetrotter in the front, put a ramp on the back, a bulkhead to divide it so I have a garage in the back and it hold 3 bikes, including my dresser. I paid less than $5K for the bus- with a Powerstroke, and less than 150K miles on it. It runs 75mph up the hills, pulling an AS, and gets 16MPG.
<snip>
Ok, I wondered what a "Goshen" bus was and found this if anyone is interested in running with this idea.. http://www.techworldsolutions.com/ Looks like they have a bunch for sale. No affiliations, just found it on the web. Who knows, maybe I could load my bike on the wheelchair ramp setup???

jb
Old 07-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john boy

i've been taking my '55 fl camping with me for years.

forget the van and just get a pickup of your favorite flavor with a 8 foot bed. i use a nice folding aluminum ramp for loading and unloading.

if you are unsure about loading by your self here are a couple of tips, look for a low spot you can back the truck into. this allows you to be much closer to the ground. second, ask for help! i have never been to a campground yet where i cannot solicit help from a nieghbor. most all folks are willing to lend a hand! a few beers don't hurt either! makes a nice icebreaker, and you get to know your fellow campmates better.

here is a pic of my current setup taken about a month ago at a forum mini rally at savanna ill.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	savanna.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	8079  
Old 07-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Thats similar to mine...

But I have no Wheelchair capabilities.

It was 21 seats, and now with the front being about 8' X 10' long, plus the front seat- it seats 5 comfortably, has a porta potti for my kids little emergencies (never used still in the box) a cooler, a queen gaucho with storage under from my rusted GT that we junked out, the table that goes against the wall and folds out, the overhead storage that fits like it came there, and an extra highback van seat that matches the drivers. The garage in the back is 8' X 9' long and the ramp we made and installed in less than 3 hours is strong enough to drive a small car on, and is 4' X 7' and I have an extension due to the height of the bus. HD John is right- find a hole, a hill, a curb- buy that aluminum folding ramp that folds out sideways, and save that $4500 for traveling. You don't need to take your bike up and down every time you stop- usually only when you get somewhere that you can ride awhile and enjoy.

The best of both worlds are sure to be yours...
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

A-haa! Found an answer!

I will look to upgrade my vespa for a fat harley now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755

An AS and a bike, towed by one vehicle.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabofabo
I will look to upgrade my vespa for a fat harley now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755

An AS and a bike, towed by one vehicle.
This is the unit my friends have on their BF Fifth Wheel. They love it. They're what you call "fulltimers".

cheers..jb
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We have an extended cab/long bed diesel F250 and even my 4'10" wife has no problem driving it around town (power adjustable pedals help)... in fact, other than the Harleys, it's our only vehicle. I haven't had the Road King in the bed at all yet, much less while towing the 34' triple-axle Airstream, but I have had 2300 lbs of shingles in the bed, which is more than the 800 lbs of the Road King with tour-pak, and 1000 lbs or so of tongue weight. It did just fine.

BTW, I HAVE seen a TKLoader (or something similar) in action and it's SWEET!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post
john boy

i've been taking my '55 fl camping with me for years.

forget the van and just get a pickup of your favorite flavor with a 8 foot bed. i use a nice folding aluminum ramp for loading and unloading.

if you are unsure about loading by your self here are a couple of tips, look for a low spot you can back the truck into. this allows you to be much closer to the ground. second, ask for help! i have never been to a campground yet where i cannot solicit help from a nieghbor. most all folks are willing to lend a hand! a few beers don't hurt either! makes a nice icebreaker, and you get to know your fellow campmates better.

here is a pic of my current setup taken about a month ago at a forum mini rally at savanna ill.

john
Looks good! Now if I could do that with my Triumph Rocket 3 and 2 kayaks then I would be set.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I ride a fairly large BMW R1200 GS Adventure. I've gone thru the same decisions you are. So far I haven't found the perfect solution. AS makes a 25' that has a door/ramp in back, but I don't think you could get that big Harley in there.
My wife will only "camp" in a AS, so that eliminates all the toy haulers.
The best solution would be to meet her in various places. I'll ride the bike, she pulls the trailer. (I don't think that's going to happen.)
The big pick-up is the only solution for me. Haven't gone there yet, but I don't see any other way. I may have to downsize bikes. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading by myself. Good luck, hope you find the right solution!
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I think there is similar thread elsewhere here.. I'll repeat part of post there. I have friend who full-times in 34' Airstream Limited with Harley Fat Boy Motorcycle, and he does it solo.. Trick is tall "Doghouse" style metal camper shell on back of Chevy Club Cab Pickup (2500 Model), with full width loading ramp, as esed by motorcycle dealers.. He is quite comfortable rolling it up or down ramp, bike is safe when trailer attached to truck, andit works well.. He adds portable satellite antenna and Honda 3000 generator for his AC and spends summers touring US and Canada, and winters in Orlando FL area.. He found manufacturer of aluminum shells that didn't advertise a lot but made tall shells on request for motorcycle carriage.. Shell sticks up about 2 or 3 feet above cab of truck, but wind resistance is modest increment...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote