Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Moonshine Creek Campground-Sylva, NC

Has anyone ever been to the captioned campground? We're going to Great Smoky N.P and have reservations there, but would like to hear whether it is good or not. Website looks OK.

We'll be there for family vacation over the fouth of July and will be in the area for two weeks.

Any other recomendations in that area for a young family?
Thanks for the help.
JC
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:45 AM   #2
John

JC,

Glad that you are on this site. I found it to be very helpful!

After being out west last year, you are going to be surprised with the crowds around the Smoky's.

I don't no of any campgrounds, I just wanted to say hi.

John
P.S. I'm in buffalo,WY and it's cold and windy. I'll hang out here a few days until the wind and snow stops in MT.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:01 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
JC,
We went camped down in Gattlinberg last October. It was our first time back since the Knoxville worlds fair. Be prepard for some nasty traffic backups from Severeville though Gattlinberg. The campground that we stayed at routed us east and we worked our way back in a westward direction to Gattlinberg rather than exiting from the interstate and dropping due south. The locals say that the backups sometimes make travel time from the interstate to Gattlinberg almost 3 hours.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jack,
Thanks for the info about the traffic. I'll factor that in when I plan our final route. Also, what model & manufacturer are your heavy duty jacks for your Safari?

John,
Hope the trip is going well. Did you end up going through MN? Where did you decide to stay? Good luck on the road to Revelstoke!

Jace
Old 05-07-2002, 05:29 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Jacks on Safari

Jace,
The Safari isn't at home for me to check the documentation, but the jacks are the same ones that are installed on the Classic line trailers. A/S changed over to this style for the Safari line beginning with the 2002 model year. I'm sure you can call a dealer and ask for the model of the jack.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-08-2002, 06:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jack,
Thanks for the note. My dealer is pretty poor, so I think I'll call Airstream direct. Thanks again for the Gatlinburg , etc. info.
Jace
Old 05-08-2002, 07:19 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Jace,
Let me know if you need anything else. Also let me know how the trip to the Smokies goes. I'm interested in what your impressions are.

I noticed your city where you are from. I spent many years of my childhood passing through the outskirts of the Twin Cities on the way up to vacation in a small town north of Brainard. As a matter of fact the small resort we used to stay at is still there and has some RV spots.

I've kicked around pulling the A/S up there in the next year or two. Only problem is the roads getting up there. Nothing other than two lane through Iowa, and AAA suggested an interstate route takes you through Wisconsin Dells. I did that route once and its a long drive.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-08-2002, 07:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jack,
Your right, it is a long drive. I just checked my mapping software and you are looking at about 745 miles and 13+ hours, more with kids.

The roads from the Twin Cities to Brainerd are better, more four lane than a few years ago. If you wanted to get back into MN but not drive so far, there are some great State Parks in SE MN tucked away in lush little valleys. Not many bugs or people either. It would cut out about 3-4 hours, even on some two-lane, and take you through some nice scenery. Total mileage from STL woudl be just under 500.

The two State parks I would recommend are Forestville/Mystery Cave (with one of the largest caves in the US and a very small "Ghost town") and Beaver Creek Valley. Both have great hiking, trout fishing and are relatively small. They both have well screened sites and some sites with electric.

Check out www.dnr.state.mn.us for maps of the parks, info, etc.

Jace

P.S. I just got a copy of Trailer life's CD-Rom trip planner and it is great for planning RV trip. The best I have found or used, by far.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:34 AM   #9
John

JC,

I didn't make it to MN. I came up hwy 83 from OK to SD. I'm still in Buffalo,WY due to high winds. It's also cold, tonight 20-25 degrees. Tomorrow I'll head towards Billings,MT and then to B.C.
Hope you guys have a great trip to N.C.
John
Old 05-08-2002, 09:36 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
STL to MN

Jace,
Thanks for the info. From what I remember we used to take highway 52/10 from Anoka up to Brainerd. I think there was a lot of dual highway even in the 60's when we traveled that route. The major two lane travel was from the Iowa boarder till Rochester MN and that was the long trek. US 218 through the Iowa cornfields was pretty narrow. I remember that semi's which were traveling in opposite directions normally put one tire of the dulley up on the rising lip of the pavement edge as they passed. I can't see pulling the A/S up some of those same roads. Watching the semi's trailers wag up and down that lip was spookey.

Once north of Brainerd we were on two lane up to Longville. While that part of the trip was full of curves, it was fun winding through the lake country and the anticipation of almost being at our destination made this the most fun part of the trip.

From what I remember it was close to 500 miles to Rochester from STL which was a pretty full day's drive. I'll look further at the parks that you recommended.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-08-2002, 09:58 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Moonshine Creek Campground-Sylva, NC

Quote:
Originally posted by JaceBeck
Has anyone ever been to the captioned campground? We're going to Great Smoky N.P and have reservations there, but would like to hear whether it is good or not.

Thanks for the help.
JC
Jace,
If it ends up that you don't like the public cg, I would recommend Crazy Horse Smokey Mountain cg. East of Gattlinburg. Wooded with full hookups, activities and fishing lake. There is a web site for them. All three of my stays over the course of 23 years have been there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-09-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Jace, You might look at Townsend, TN - "on the quiet side of the smokies" near Cades Cove area.
Several good campgrounds there. We return each year to the Mountaineer - on a stream, lots to do for families and near great scenery. hosts are great people and very helpful. Check it out on the Web.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:15 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Thanks for the additional info. We were planning to go to Charleston, but it may be too much driving for my kids, so this would be a good alternative. Thanks again.
Jace
Old 05-16-2002, 06:09 PM   #14
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Re: Moonshine Creek Campground-Sylva, NC

[
We have just joined the South Carolina Chapter of WBCCI. and were invited to visit the Palmetto Cove Campground which is an Airstream Park, but they do accept non Airstream vehicles because of a shortage of WBCCI people in the area. It is located on SC Highway 11 at its intersection with SC Hiway 8 at Ceaser Head in the smokies. It is listed in the popular Camping Books, and you can look it up for phone number etc. It is beautiful, all grassy lawn sites, beautiful scenery on River - with a private fishing site. A small par 3 golf course, beautiful meeting and recreation facilities. Met Host and they were fabulously friendly. Believe fee is $15.00 a nite. We are planning to go there as soon as we can get our vehicle ready for travel. We gave it our personal rating of AAA. Suggest you look into it.QUOTE]Originally posted by JaceBeck
Has anyone ever been to the captioned campground? We're going to Great Smoky N.P and have reservations there, but would like to hear whether it is good or not. Website looks OK.

We'll be there for family vacation over the fouth of July and will be in the area for two weeks.

Thanks for the help.
JC
[/QUOTE]
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 06:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Dr. Joe,
I appreciate your note. I'll look into it and if it looks like we can put it on the itinerary we may just see you there. Thanks again.
Jace
Old 05-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jace,
Hope you enjoy your visit to the Smokies. I've lived in Tn. since 1967, visited Gatlinburg for the first time in the mid '70's. I've been back 5 or 6 times, even spent my honeymoon in '77 in one of the many A frame chalets while also fishing. Last time I was there was 2000 and enjoyed driving through the park. It was especially thrilling late in the evening when several of us were walking down one of the paved roads among the chalets. We heard garbage cans rattling around and then saw a big black bear run off the side of the hill. We were walking fast the other direction. Most of the garbage cans are contained inside a wooden crate or similiar structure next to the chalets just for this purpose. If you can make it to Cades Cove to visit you should go. It is nice. If you like German food, I think the Ole' Hidelburg Castle may still be open. You have to ride a lift to the top of the mountain but the food is worth it the times I have been there. Don't miss the Acorn Shop, full of all kinds of knives and other cutlery. Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville is also worth a look if you are in to all kinds of knives. Have a safe trip. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Try to visit Cades cove just before sunset. That's when all the deer come to the meadows to graze. We have counted as many as 70 on the short drive around the cove. Take your binoculars.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

We saw lots of em too. We went during our honeymoon last October. Just try to get there about an hour before so you atleast have a chance to see most of the area. We got behind alot of cars and missed a great deal because it became dark while we were still there. Oh well, we will just have to go back...
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

We're returning to the Cades Cove area for the first two weeks in July as we do every year. Great fireworks display in Townsend on the 4th. You're right about getting to the Cove early to see the deer. Lots of folks have the same idea - but its a fun thing and most share the pleasantness of the tour.

Also, great tubing on the river attracts young and old alike. Lots of fun there, too.