Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
MO to Vegas or Bust, marathon road trip

Hello all..

As I have posted, we sold the Overlander, but have to skip the VAC rally in CO, to get this baby to Las Vegas on Saturday. How crazy is my life???..

We're taking 44/40 out, and since we haven't traveled with even our safari but once, we may be pulling into a campsite along the way, and resting in our newly sold, electrically screwed up, Airstream....It's so shiney, we should get some nice pics....

So, if your out this weekend, on the roads, and ya see a green F150 pulling a shiney 27 footer, honk and wave, because we'll need some encouragement...LOL

Hope to stop into the rally Sunday and meet everyone, since we're paid up, I hope they'll let us in///

Ron and Tony
Old 07-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hey Ron...sorry you won't be able to attend the whole rally, will you be staying Sunday night or just stopping by? Your site will be waiting for you...unless anybody wants to attend last minute 7/30 - 8/2...PM me if you do?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Bummer - gonna miss you - hope you can make it on Sunday

Also hope you got a really big deposit on your trailer if you having to take it all the way to Vegas

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Shari, darling,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Hey Ron...sorry you won't be able to attend the whole rally, will you be staying Sunday night or just stopping by? Your site will be waiting for you...unless anybody wants to attend last minute 7/30 - 8/2...PM me if you do?

Shari
of course we're staying Sunday night, we're rooming with you....LOL

We will be trailerless, so probably won't stay, but will spend all of the time we can there. It's very importaint to me that I (we) meet some of you. You have all been so wonderfully supportive. It's not a total loss, at least there's next year, and we will have SO MUCH MORE TIME to spend on the Safari. but it will never be as beautiful as yours....

Looking forward to Sunday.

Oh, delivery deposit is $2000. So, yes, It should be safe....

Thanks
Ron
Old 07-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

tincanluv's site

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

Shari
Dang, if only I had a tow vehicle, I'd sneak in and take Ron and Tony's site. Next year for sure!

annette
'75 tradewind with no tow vehicle
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Just sport a goatee

No one will notice you're not me.... my avatar is awfully small...LOL
Old 07-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

it takes a big man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
No one will notice you're not me.... my avatar is awfully small...LOL
to admit that he has a small avatar

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Must be those 2 glasses of wine I had a lunch. Oops, back to work.

annette
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
You're bad....

I may have to report you...LOL...!!!! How funny....
Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
BUST!!!...Bust or BUST....

Well, we left Thursday Morning around 6:a.m. and arrived in Vegas around 10:00 Saturday. 18 hours of driving the first night alone...We made several stops on Route 66, and tried to stay at vintage hotels..... OK, two of them, the first was GREAT, the second, Friday night, was absolutely revolting... Pure dirt and grime (including a dried up towel over the shower curtain rod, that wasn't ours). But we only had a few hours of sleep, so we just slept completely clothed.

When we arrived at the buyers house, he wanted to check the water pump... and the heater, and the water tank... all of the things that I didn't know if they worked or not, (as stated in the Ebay disclosure) and insisted on filling the water tank, which indeed leaked. He needed it for burning man, and didn't feel that this was the airstream for him. He asked if we could come to a deal, over the $2000 deposit that he gave me, and, well, we did. Deal is, I take the trailer, and the cash and head to the VAC rally in CO.

Did I mention that the 'Check engine' light came on right after we left, and I found that the truck couldn't carry the weight of the trailer, (we installed the fridge, and microwave two days prior to departure)... We were very much looking forward to dropping the a/s so that the truck could (hopefully) recouperate.... I didn't have the trans. cooler installed, since it appeared that I wouldn't be going throught the CO mountains with anything in tow.

So, we hung out in Vegas for a few hours, and then headed for CO. We saw, by far, THE most beautiful scenery on the way. Just past Vail, CO, we headed south on 9.... WOW!!!! Came upon 'South Park' CO, which was unexpected, and many other great little towns.

By the time I arrived at the rally, 2450 miles, and only aprox. 80 hrs. after we left St. Louis, I didn't even feel as though I was pulling anything, it was so natural. We had even come to accept the ever moaning engine, that was all too often pulling at 4000 rpms....

From there, off to Fort Collins and Poutre Valley, 2.5 hrs north, Monday, then back that night to CO Springs, for Tuesday, and Pikes Peak... AWESOME... then back to Ft. Collins Wed. and home on Thursday, for the worst trip through Kansas...worse than I EVER imagined.

So, through all of htis, we ended up pulling the airstream, which we never slept in, 3896.4 miles for no reason what so ever. But what an adventure, huh???

So... anyone want a partially rehabed airstream Overlander??? I have one I have to get rid of. LOL..

We'll get pics up soon. Some 600-700 total....

Just thought I'd keep you all posted!

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
So you earned $2,000 for your time and trouble? Not bad, although not very smart of the guy who gave you the deposit. He would have been a lot better off flying in to STL. I bet you would have been more kind if he had turned the unit down locally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Well my son's, you handled the situation well and we're sure you got plenty of R&R on the trip (just kidding).

However, I, being who/whatever that is, would have probably gone back to the guy dressed in my finest camofloge and imitation LL bean boots, my fake ID, a really big sidearm, and a rather large frown on my face begging that he reconsider.

What you did will keep you out of license plate fabrication business, though.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 08-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Daddy!!!

I hope we handled this situation as you taught us....LOL

I think we did OK, just unhappy that we haven't rid our lives of this Overlander... especially since there is a nice woman trying to pawn off a 31 footer on us, for a very nice price....Hmmm...what would you do????

For the cash, we did OK... I think.

ROn
Old 08-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
vintage ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
We made several stops on Route 66, and tried to stay at vintage hotels..... OK, two of them, the first was GREAT, the second, Friday night, was absolutely revolting... Pure dirt and grime (including a dried up towel over the shower curtain rod, that wasn't ours). But we only had a few hours of sleep, so we just slept completely clothed.

ron, when i was a road warrior, we called them fleabags......you knew you were in a really bad one when you woke up the next morning, and the roaches had moved the bed to another part of the room.... glad to hear you enjoyed the scenery though....i bet you wanna go back...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey Ron & Tony,

At the VAC rally, I saw your trailer but didn't see either of you guys. You must have slipped in and out under cover of darkness or maybe it was my inability to see through all of the margaritas. BTW, its not everyone that gets paid to learn how to tow an Overlander. I'd say, after all of the frustration, you did all right.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Flyfshr

Hey! We dropped the Overlander Sunday, early evening, stayed for a couple of hours, then hit the motel accross the street. We headed north on Mon. We were around Tues. and off Wed. around 11. In that short amount of time, we met so many people, I can't remember who......

Looking forward to showing off Joey, or 68 Safari next year, and sparing the expense of a hotel...

Sorry we missed you.

Ron
Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
on the other hand ....

... You couldn't have paid me enough to make that drive under those circumstances, but I can't help feeling bad for the buyer too. Like all of us, he probably was excited beyond belief to be getting that first Airstream, especially such a pretty, unusual one. And what was presented to him was an unusable trailer & now he is out an awful lot of money & he probably has a bitter taste in his mouth about Airstreams & Airstream owners.

Clearly, he was an inexperienced buyer because he overpaid for the trailer in the first place given its condition. What kinds of conversations did you have with him before embarking on this? Long ones, I would expect! Didn't you discuss the plumbing problems & the lack of a working power supply before he shelled out $2000 & you drove umpteen million miles?

Maybe this is a good opportunity to take the 2K made on this non-sale and fix the serious system problems now that it can't in good conscience be advertised as "systems have not been checked." That way you can sell someone a trailer that they can actually go camping in, which, after all, is most people's objective.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
as always

thanks for your $.02 worth summerkid, but the systems had not been checked. He was very aware of everything that I knew was wrong with it. He knew, as per our Emails, that he would have to get it worked on when he recieved it.

I brought copies of all of our correspondance (sp?) with me, as well as the Ebay listing. We went over it all, and he agreed that we had discussed all of this. He had been researching airstreams for some time, as though he told me, but when I arrived, he kept asking me where to get the electric fixed.... prior to leaving, he said that he had it all worked out....

I don't appreciate the insinuation that I didn't divulge pertinant information. My transmission is shot, and the cost of the gas alone was close to $800. We both lost on the deal.

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I agree. While it appears the buyer didn’t really do the necessary homework, some discussions should have taken place regarding the functionality of the trailer, as opposed to it’s cool aesthetics. From where I sit, the buyer was obviously under the impression that since everything else had been redone, that the basics of the trailer were satisfactory. Prior to my owning an Airstream and being a member of this forum, I would have assumed the same things. It makes sense to fix the basic systems as well as the cosmetic items. If he did know better, and proof that those discussions did take place, than he should be liable for purchasing the trailer as per the Ebay agreement.

Just my opinon.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Time to back off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
And what was presented to him was an unusable trailer & now he is out an awful lot of money & he probably has a bitter taste in his mouth about Airstreams & Airstream owners.
Who made you judge & jury? Is this any of your business?

Here are two direct quotes from the ebay ad:

"Systems have not been completely checked. Electric partially out. We are moving, and we have to sell without the time to have the systems checked. THis is an incredibly beautiful interior rehab, I will try to post many pictures to show the grandeur of it all."

"As stated above, systems have not been checked..."

It seems to me that it was very accurately advertised. Everything said it was an interior, cosmetic refurb.

IF tcl had dealt in bad faith, I could see that you might be upset. But you have no rights to judge, and no facts to stand on.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Yes, Edie, it can be my business if TCL posts publicly about a transaction that was made via a public auction & I disagree with what's being said. This is a public forum. And I'm basing my opinion about the trailer being unusable on posts that TCL made over many months about the condition of the trailer.

We're not all here to be Airstream cheerleaders no matter what crazy things are being done, and I don't think forum membership exempts one from criticism IF one posts publicly about a questionable endeavor.

I'm not being judge & jury any more than the other people who posted an opinion. I'm weighing in on a topic & saying something that I thought needed to be said. I thought about it for a long time before doing so.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote