Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2004, 04:41 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Please - only my last name is French. Not that I have anything against them. My family got out of there in the 1700's. I'm still snickering about the Jerry Lewis comment.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
I actually loved being there but I was on a sort of vision quest, having seen the movie, I was searching for some magic. It's cool that you just happened upon it. The movie is quirky, not to everyone's taste, but I highly recommend it.

I highly recommend the movie, too, but then I'm rather quirky. It was GREAT; Jack palance was GREAT, the whole thing was GREAT!!!

I just happened to run across the film, which is how I usually end up with my all-time favorites... never mind the critics!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
Until now. The movie that is..... What's it about? And why are the French so interested in it?

It's good that that poor Airstream gets some loving attention. It sure needs it.

Ron
The movie is a small independent film by a German director about a large german woman tourist who is ditched by her husband so she ends up at the Bagdad Cafe which is run by a black woman. A whole slew of quirky characters live at the motel, or pass through, including Jack Palance who is an artist and lives in the airstream. And he ends up painting the german woman - and falling for her........

There's more, but that's it in a nutshell.

(OK, so I'm no Ebert!)

BTW, I wonder why no one has rescued those poor trailers.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Hey Summer,
Sorry to stir this up, but it doesn't sit right with me to hold my tongue.
Although you were critical, I don't think that you were mean spirited. And I
support you for admonishing any dangerous behavior.
We know that I am a creep and a pig, and it would be a dream come true for me to play host to a hungry lady without a place to sleep. To be
honest, I am so sure that I fixed up my airstream, so women wouldn't be grossed out. But even I am grossed out by name calling. I don't think that it
is constructive, and it can only be meant to hurt. I think Airstreams are best
utilized when they are shared with gracious guests . You are welcome to "mooch" off me though.
You do make me laugh, but you are not a "joke". I too, purchased my trailer before I could tow it. I hope that people don't start calling me names.

Hey TLC,
Thank you so much for getting Summer to post. I really enjoy her
writing style. You are entertaining as well. Keep up the good work.
M Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
OK .. I didn't know.. there REALLY is a Baghdad Cafe?
not too far from the baglady cafe......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
it would be a dream come true for me to play host to a hungry lady without a place to sleep.
Uh, Dave, I might end up being a hungry lady needing a place to sleep...oh, I forgot, I do have a place to sleep but I may need a place to put my place to sleep
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:53 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just felt the need to say what I thought... is that OK?

No one really pays much attention to my posts on here, which is OK by me. (just check and see how many threads I have started with no responses, and how many I have killed by just replying) I have had my Airstream for 3 years, and aside from towing it home from the previous owners, have never gone anywhere with it… yet. Yes, I have done the curtains and some modernizing, as well as the brakes, axles, water heater, frame repair, bw tank valve fix, water pump, 12V electrical system, and countless other things, and now have the “systems” all functioning safely and properly. I suppose I am a joke also.

I also don’t think Summerkid was being mean spirited. I think she said something that many of us did not have the courage to say…me included. This is a free exchange of ideas and opinions. I have seen heated arguments over varying thoughts on brakes, axles and other inanimate objects. Why should a discussion on right and wrong go so far astray?

Oh, I happen to know that Summerkid pays for the storage of her trailers.

This is just my opinion. End of thread.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:41 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Good

I'm glad to see that you guys came forward and posted on her defense. I have said over and over here that I made a mistake with this trailer. Most of the money spent on the trailer was my aunts.. she thought it was a good idea to do this, and we both admit we should have studied up on it more prior to jumping into this. I have admitted that all to you...

I have to pay her back every dime she sent.. So, not only did I spend months wiht this trailer, but I will end up paying her back, if the airstream doesn't sell for what she put into it.

It's my problem. I was not complaining. But I was honest about what I knew about the trailer. This is rediculous that this thread keeps coming back to me or summerkid when I was just sharing a story. NOT asking anyones opinion. If I wanted an opinion, I would have asked for one. I was merely sharing a story... that's all.

When Summerkid was ignorant to another member, that's when I lost it. No one deserves any of the ignorance in this thread. I keep trying to turn it around, being silly, and posting pics, but now we're back to this. THIS IS CRAZY. I know many of you don't agree with trying to sell this airstream. But I have no choice...

AGAIN< that was a statement, not looking for more opinions here..

Summerkid has continued to criticise people, when a majority of us are here to have fun, learn, and not be put down.....

If she's not in this to stir things up, then why does she keep coming back. I started this thread, and I keep trying to veer if off and let it go... but one little mention of it, and I get worked up again.

That's great that she really has an airstream in storage...we were all wondering..OK, a majority of us were wondering. She has so much to say for someone who doesn't have possession of their airstream. I on the other hand try to share all of my experiences, both possitive AND negative.

Trust me, I wanted nothing more than to go hide after this whole thing happened. But I decided to press on, make the most of it, and go to the VAC rally, where people heard the story, and then I decided I might as well tell you all.

Whatever her problem is with me, lets just get it out here in the open, so we, including her can all post in peace, without being afraid to tell a story, etc....
I shouldn't have said what I did, but many of us were thinking it. I have recieved a lot of support, and so has she... but lets give it up...

You dont' think that I should have taken that man's money. My aunt was there ,a nd if I wouldn't have, she would have. I never should have gotten involved with this project, but I am glad I did, to learn what I learned, but never expected that the hardest part would be your criticism....Crap, every time I type a word in, I wait for summerkid to 'edit' my bad spelling... Ishouldn't have to worry about that...

So, I would like to say to summerkid... If you would like to discuss this, please, let's do...

Otherwise, let it go, adn stop harrassing me and the people that are on my side, realizing that I DID say I made a mistake, and I am duely paying for it.

People keep saying that you are just trying to get me upset, and I can only assume they are right, since this is not the first time this has happened between us. I guess the only other step is to hit ignore, but I still value much of what you have to say, adn don't feel that I shoudl block any part of the conversation.

Like I said earlier.... "two tears in a bucket....."

Now lets get on with talking about Rt. 66 adventures....

THanks
ROn
Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
not too far from the baglady cafe......
the Baglady Cafe is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to me!!

I shop there!!! Haven't you met me???

So how did I miss the Bagdad???
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote