Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Well, pilgrim, I am hoping to decide to take your trip in early Spring so I don't have to look up so many things. Seems like you're preparing well. Enjoy your trip. We may get their first, though, and will surely post our experiences.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Well, pilgrim, I am hoping to decide to take your trip in early Spring so I don't have to look up so many things. Seems like you're preparing well. Enjoy your trip. We may get their first, though, and will surely post our experiences.

Gene

Will look forward to your comments. We will probably make this trip in early to mid September. Crowds are usually much smaller, kids back in school, etc.. We will be doing shorter, four nite trips around Ohio and neighboring states leading up to this one. We keep adding to our experiences building toward our BIG one to New Mexico and Arizona. May even include Calif. and up to Oregon and Washington due to family and friends in those places. Can't imagine such an extended trip but it looms out there, eventually. Talk with you all again..................Keep on 'streaming!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
pilgrim, don't forget Colorado, Utah and Nevada—as it is you'll need 6 months for the states you name!

Gene
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Can't really say the camping crowds will be thinning out in mid september. There's usually a crush of late season camping up here, culminating in the fall colors tour. It's worthwhile to make reservations ($8) at most of the State Parks.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mark, what's the Spring like there? The snow must melt sometime, probably earlier than here. We haven't had much so far, but you have, so it looks like tough winter there and a drought here this winter.

Gene
Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Average ice out off the lakes in the Twin Cities area is around April 15th. It can vary from late March to late April. Trees do not leaf out until about May 1st. The temperatures in early April have at times topped 90 degrees but last snow fall can be in May. It can be iffy but generally May is pretty nice but not swimsuit weather.

What to do in Minnesota? You can Google any suggestion for details.

Minneapolis/St. Paul is loaded with museums and cultural attractions if urban exploring is your thing. They also have great lakes and parks and numerous walking/biking trails -- more than you can imagine.

Mall of America with Ikea nearby. This is a shopaholic's heaven and a unique attraction. Just to walk it is at least a 3 mile hike. I have to mention it because I was involved deeply in the mall's design and spent three years of my life working on it.

Duluth is the other city worth time and exploring and of course is the springboard to driving up the north shore. If you are a birder, Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve is the place for spotting.

Starting in the southwest you can explore Pipestone National Monument and Blue Mounds State Park (for camping and viewing the bison herd).

A drive from La Crosse, WI up Highway 61 along the Mississippi to the Twin Cities is scenic and historic. You can stop in Wabasha, MN and visit the National Eagle Center, a very impressive place to learn about and see our national bird. Lunch at Slippery's in Wabasha and have a Walleye sandwich. Slippery's was the place used in the movie Grumpy Old Men. Or if you want a touch of Scandinavian Minnesota the Anderson House will do. The City of Red Wing on the way is one of the 25 best historical destinations according to National Geographic Traveler magazine.

You can go to Itasca State Park where the Mississippi River begins and say you actually walked across the Mississippi (because you can there).

You can visit open pit iron mines on the Iron Range and actually go down a mine at Tower Soudan State Park.

On to Ely, the stepping off point to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. If that interests you, you can see it from the road or you can make arrangements to go into the BWCA via canoe and experience nature at its most primitive. The Dorothy (Root Beer Lady of the BWCA Molter Museum is interesting. The Bear Center is nearby.

The drive from Duluth to the Canadian border is the best. There are several parks and scenic water falls along the way right up to the border. You can drive the 60 mile Gunflint Trail from Grand Marais, MN and again touch the BWCA.

On to Wisconsin.

The Apostle Islands on Lake Superior is a pleasant stop and you can rent kayaks there and take a guided tour on the lake.

The National Forests in northern Wisconsin are great for primitive camping. Most campsites are on lakes in conifer forests.

Door County northeast of Green Bay is the Midwest equivalent of visiting Cape Cod/Maine shore type of places.

Milwaukee's Santiago Calatrava designed Art Museum is a must stop in my opinion. There is no other museum like it.

You've got the Wisconsin Dells if you are in to that sort of thing. There are boat tours, duck boat tours of the rock formations. There are also tons of water parks and trinket shopping. It is actually the premier destination for taking kids.

The area southwest of Madison, WI is worth exploring. The area centers around the historical Swiss village of New Glarus. I like to go there for the New Glarus Brewery, one of the best brews in the country.

The bonus. If going to Minnesota and Wisconsin you might as well include the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Pictured Rocks National Monument and Mackinac Island.

Leaving you with a drive up the North Shore of Minnesota...

Gooseberry Falls

Gooseberry Falls

Split Rock Light House

Cross River

Cascade River SP

Devil's Falls, Judge Magney SP

Pigeon River SP on the Canadian border
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post
I would definately say the north shore of Lake Superior. If you head due north on hwy 2 from Two Harbors for about 15-20 miles, then west (it's been years, can't remember road names) to the Rollins, Brimson, Fairbanks, Toimi area you will love it . There are a couple of camp grounds near there, one is on Indian Lake at Brimson. Pretty rustic, but spotless, like most of the Superior National Forest.

Tom
Hey Tom...your post proves the "small world" theory. My wife and I own a 1920's log cabin on a small lake (George Lake) just a couple of miles from the Indian Lake campground. I grew up in the 50's and 60's visiting the cabin every weekend in the summer...it was owned by an aunt and uncle. We purchased in 1974.

We now also own a home in rural Two Harbors on 80 acres...and our adult children and grandkids now use the Brimson cabin...we visit during the days and return to the comforts of modern living after dinner and smores!

The general Brimson area you describe are still nearly as undeveloped as they were in the 50's...would be enjoyable if you like rural forests, etc.

If you want to visit metro attractions...different world

The OP's comment about not enough to do...I would be fine camping in Two Harbors or Grand Marais campgrouds for full summer (ya I know...just a couple of weeks ) BOTH campgrounds are right on Lake Superior...not sure I would need much else.

Tom R...in Two Harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Thanks to all for the GREAT suggestions. We've been studying the maps and the info sent from the various towns, cities, villages and the state tourism agencies. We've gotten most of our trip outlined and now we're looking for some campgrounds. I've gotten several identified but am having problems finding one in the Milwaukee area and one in the Door County area. I think we're all set for the areas of Minnesota we plan to visit - Northern and Twin Cities area. Any suggestions for really great camp-grounds in the Milwaukee and Door County areas?? We like quiet, walking trails, wifi is nice but usually we'll spend time visiting sites during the day. No pets to think about.
In advance, THANKS for you great suggestions.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote