Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #1

2019 27' Globetrotter
Plymouth , MN
Minneapolis to San Diego

We are new owners of a Globetrotter 27’. We plan to travel from the Twin Cities to San Diego in the spring.

What are your route recommendations?
A M Wichmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
You should probably let everyone know how much time you have total and how much time you wanna spend at your locations. May help pin a route recommendation.

If you only have two weeks, for example, that’s a different recommendation than if you have two months.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #3

2019 27' Globetrotter
Plymouth , MN
MPLS to San Diego trip Length.

We will take five days each way then spend ten days in The San Diego area.
A M Wichmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
That’s almost a 2000 mile trip. At 5 days you have to average 400 miles or more. I’d recommend the most direct route you can find and hit the things along that route.

I googled the trip really quick and it looks like most direct right now would take you through South Dakota and the badlands / black hills area. Beautiful part of the country. My wife and I spent two weeks in that area and it wasn’t enough time.

The other alternative route takes you into Colorado. Although we have never been through Colorado, we hear it’s beautiful but crossing the Rockies can get very steep going up and coming back down and will really test your TV setup.

GL

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
A M Wichmann, IMO 5 days & 400 miles a day via Co or anything northern is not realistic. My suggestion would be KC down to Tucumcari & I-40 to SD.

While living in Eugene we had to pick out times to head east and cross the Rockies. Spring is a wide range and it's not unusual, especially CO to get spring snows. Plus the desert is beautiful and in bloom in the spring.

Then again if it's more than 5 days...then the strategy is different.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
You could always just head straight south to Florida/Alabama beaches? Beautiful area and cuts your trip in half at about 1200 miles one way. More realistic 5 day trip to get there.

Obviously it sounds like you have something calling you to SoCal, but thought I would throw this out there.

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #7

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Edina , MN
We have done that trip both from MN to SoCal in late fall, back to MN in early summer.
Glad to share any details offline if interested, but believe the feedback some have mentioned make sense, including how much time you have for travel, etc. We took 30 days to get out there and about 3 weeks in early summer, last year.
bsriggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Ditto bsriggen, we've made the I-44/I40 trip a number of times and I also went to school in SD. Great town!
Old 01-14-2022, 02:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Best bet would be to head south to OK city and west from there. Your timeline doesn't necessarily support this, but prudent weather considerations would be advisable. It's something of a gamble to head to Denver and then up over the Hill to Utah. There's always the chance of being stopped in your tracks by a high altitude snow storm.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
You can make it in five days, just depends how much driving you want to do and how fatigued you want to be when you arrive. Of course fatigue also may result in poor or slow decision making in traffic.

My wife and I drove from near Cleveland, OH to Near Phoenix, AZ (about 2100 miles) last year in 2.5 -2.75 days. That's roughly the equivalent from Minneapolis to San Diego. We had been visiting my folks for about month when, on 31 August, I had a "door tampered" alarm go off in our house in Sun City, AZ. After checking the cameras and not seeing anything, we called my wife's parents to drive by the house and check it out. They checked the exterior of the house and confirmed all the doors were locked. They were facetiming with us as they entered the house and immediately saw about 2" of standing water through out the house and still flowing out of a hole in the drywall. A very sickening feeling, I can assure you. As it turned out, our contractor that remodeled our bathrooms had put two screws through a water supply line. Initially the screws "self-sealed" in the copper pipe, but as they corroded, the leak got worse until the water pretty much damaged the entire house. We were finally able to move back in on 19 December, but we are still without a kitchen (only a fridge, stove and temp sink) as the cabinets are not scheduled for delivery until mid-Feb, then counter tops sometime after that. It's a long, long story. Thankfully, I have USAA insurance and everything was covered. Of course, it's going to go through subrogation process since the damage was due to contractor negligence.

The point of the story is I got the alarm in the afternoon on 31 August. That alarm, by the way, was a Ring Alarm and the "door tampered" was because the water had so warped the door casing that it tripped the alarm. Once determined what was going on, we packed up everything and hooked up the Airstream and left Ohio around 4:00am on 1 Sep. We spent that first evening near Springfield, MO. We left early from there and spent the second night near Tucumcari, NM. The third late afternoon / early evening was in my driveway near Sun City, AZ. So we left in the morning on the 1st and were home later afternoon on the 3rd.

We took turns driving and sleeping and working the phone with the insurance company. What a huge hassle trying to do this stuff on the road with spotty cell coverage.

Of note, since this occurred, I now have a separate valve to secure the water to the house when we leave. I only had one water shut off valve before and I left it on for the irrigation system and the swimming pool auto-fill. Now I can isolate all inside and outside water.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What part of the spring? I have experienced snow storms in the spring
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How many drivers do you have? Two or three make it a more rational thing than one.

How much experience do all of you have towing an RV? Decades of experience for each is very different than "none of us have done this before".

Do you want to use the trailer while in motion? Setup / teardown adds to the workload. Pulling into a hotel every night makes a lot of things easier.

What happens if you spend an extra week going this may or that way? Some schedules are flexible. Others seem to have built in self destruct functions. You do *not* want to be forced to drive it weather that should have you "hunkered down" for a couple days.

How handy are you / what sort of spares / tools do you have room for / how much experience do you have repairing RV's ? Stuff happens. It happens on band new trailers, it happens on 10 year old trailers. There aren't a lot of AS repair depots out there. You likely will find that even a very helpful one will have you waiting for a couple weeks to get this or that done.

No, I'm not saying this can't be done. There are a number of combinations of answers to the questions above (and all the others) that make it reasonable. There are other combinations that say "this is a bit risky". Other combo's might say "how about flying instead?".

Lots of this and lots of that.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You may look at go south to 40…then west…80 in the spring is iffy..one storm..you are stuck for 3-4 days..we are in Billings ..we go to San Diego on I15..4 easy days…
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Join Campendium, Harvest Host, and start pouring over maps!
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

For a fast trip, stopping in "nice" places often does not fit very well. The extra half hour off route to get to a cute little stop and the half hour to get back on route adds up quickly. Things like Walmart parking lots and the like are more likely as stopping points.

Trying to hit 400 miles a day also likely means having stoping points that are very close to that limit every day. Having one day at 500 miles and the next at 300 miles is not a great approach if you want to go fast.

Yet another good reason not to push things quite that hard .... (at least to me).

Meals are another tangle. Pulling an AS through the drive through lane at MacDonalds generally is not a good idea. Even pulling through their parking lot with a trailer in tow can be "exciting" ( hint: excitement is not good in this case ... ). Same basic issue as other stops, fast food is fast and often part of the quick trip plan.

Route wise, there is no ideal route. Go south and you may avoid some snow. More wind risk is the tradeoff. Either one can put a kink in your plans.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #16
OG1

Nevis , Minnesota
Mpls to San Diego

I can offer you some route suggestions. We have been traveling to the southwest since 2009. We have taken just about every route from Central Mn to the southwest. I would suggest for you since this your maiden voyage in your new air stream. Take 35 to 90 to 81 south to Salina KS, you will go past (Minneapolis Kansas). This is probably a good place to spend the night. They have a very nice rest area there or you can spend spend the night at the KOA. It s nice one for just spending night price is 40.00 a night. From there take I 70 to exit 225 to Great Bend then 56 to Dodge City. Then take 283 to 54 to to I 40 at Tucumcari. We usually stay over night here. Then I 40 a to Bullhead city AZ then 95 to I80 to San Diego. I must tell all the major interstates from California going east are solid with truck traffic. FYI Arizona and Wyoming has the nicest rest areas if you can find a spot you can spend night there. I use Gas buddy when traveling I prefer to fuel at larger fuel station for ease of fueling and on an off access ability. We have traveled all west Interstates from 29, 94, 90, 80, 10, and 8. If you would like to contact me I can tell you more about the routes. ( gas prices are high in Az and Ca.
OG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Furkot is a useful trip planner. You can plug in max speeds, rest stops, day lengths, etc and it will show how many days a trip will take and where your overnights will be. It can auto-route the entire way or you can add as many stops and points of interest as you like and it will optimize a route to include them.
Don’t overestimate the speed you’ll drive. Typical navigation programs like Google maps will assume you’ll drive much faster than you likely will when towing a trailer. We prefer to stick to highways since they’re not really much slower than the speed we’d be doing on the freeway and you don’t have to deal with the truck traffic. Many interstate freeways nowadays are in poor condition and packed with semis. Driving on a freeway too often is a never ending battle of passing and being passed while being beaten nonstop by the whiffle bat of the road. You’ll see much more scenery and have a much more pleasant drive on a highway, but it is a bit slower when you account for passing through towns, which freeways all skip. When pressed for time, which it sounds like you will be, grinding away on an interstate will typically get you from pt A to pt B the fastest, but least enjoyable way, although there may be routes where you can actually do better not taking the interstate that Google recommends, so just keep your eyes open for those opportunities when planning.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote