Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Mingling with the 'permanents'....

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this but this is the only RV forum I am a part of... Or any forum for that matter.

I am curious why there seems to be something of an aversion to the folks who have chosen to settle down in their trailers? I spend most of my life in my trailer and am lucky to be mobile and able, so I do more boondocking than RV park camping. But every time I look for a 'real' park (with hookups and such) I am confounded by what I see on review sites. The references to 'permanents' and 'long termer's with a negative kind of connotations, make me wonder.

Now here I am at a park in the middle of nowhere nevada and the last few reviews were very negative about the park being basic and full of 'long termers & permanents' 3 reviews like that and then they stop in 2012. Cause I'm assuming people stopped coming from the bad reviews. Well I came. And the park is basic and full of long termers and they are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I've met. This ain't the fist experience like this. Happens all the time. Hey neighbor, you like ribs? Care for some whiskey? Have a seat.....

Now i like solitude more than anyone but I don't expect it in an RV park. I'm wondering if these more stationary folks have been sitgmatized by the more mobile RV community and if perhaps people are missing out on meeting very kind and warm local people cause they write them off as bad permanents?Cause I have been invited into very beat up permanent trailers to be fed very delicious food and treated to very entertaining conversation that could only be had with locals.

Anyone have thoughts on this? It is curious to me.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hello TravelinMan

You ask a good question that is worth pondering

Regarding campground reviews particularly, a campground that caters to long-term, seasonal, or permanent tenants poses some specific problems for the more itinerant traveler. The most common problem is simply that there aren't very many good sites available for itinerant use because the seasonal (etc) campers have taken them all -- particularly all the full hookup ones.

A related problem is that seasonal/permanent campers tend to be more rate sensitive and at the same time more self-sufficient regarding maintenance. While there are exceptions, the campground that primarily serves seasonal (etc) campers usually got that way because management had become a little sloppy about maintenance and had trouble drawing itinerant travelers. So the possibility of a guaranteed (but lower) income from a seasonal/permanent tenant who will maintain their own site becomes attractive.

There do exist fulltimers who are in or near poverty and who externalize their costs in various ways by creating undue demands on shared facilities, but I find that they are the exception rather than the rule.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
It's just one aspect of the "class warfare" which permeates our culture. Idle minds putting down folks who are perceived as being "beneath us" etc.. Peyton Place small town gossip etc..

Best solution is not to let them drag you down into their gutter!

Yeah, the above will seem cynical and negative to the cheerleaders . . .

Doesn't change the reality of the world we live in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
. . .
Anyone have thoughts on this? It is curious to me.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think this happens is many other aspects of life, not just RVing. Happened in boating too. Happens in regular houses. It's human nature.

Before I got into RVing, I had a very negative image of a "trailer park". And I have seen some trailer parks I wouldn't be caught in after sunset. And there are some very nice ones, usually called "RV resorts", although that term seems to be used very loosely. And there is everything in between.

I think we should look for the environments that suit us and not judge those who are different, either by choice or by circumstance. I ignore reviewers that judge other people like that. I'm an internet reviewer of sorts, and I tend to focus on the facilities and things I know readers would be interested in. I avoid making judgements. YMMV.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sometimes....campgrounds that cater primarily to long term residents are not as well maintained, or maintained in the same manner, as those focusing on drawing travelers in off the road.

Not always, but sometimes.

Tarps over roofs, lots of junk sitting around, stuff piled in front windows, general disrepair of rigs/their exteriors, and unsightly sites...it's out there, and it affects one's experience.

Some are more trailer parks than campgrounds, with empty sites they are trying to utilize, is the truth.

Everyone has to live somewhere, and some folks living in these campgrounds are desperately poor...one should respect that, and feel compassion for them.

That doesn't mean the people may not be friendly, as most are, but it just depends on what you are looking for and how long you intend to stay.

The reviews referring to long term residents may not have anything to do, actually, with the people.

Some of the folks writing those reviews, too, may be more interested in being surrounded by like-minded folks, who are traveling and have similar experiences to share...and are not finding what they are expecting.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Sometimes....campgrounds that cater primarily to long term residents are not as well maintained, or maintained in the same manner, as those focusing on drawing travelers in off the road.

Not always, but sometimes.

Tarps over roofs, lots of junk sitting around, stuff piled in front windows, general disrepair of rigs/their exteriors, and unsightly sites...it's out there, and it affects one's experience.

Some are more trailer parks than campgrounds, with empty sites they are trying to utilize, is the truth.

Everyone has to live somewhere, and some folks living in these campgrounds are desperately poor...one should respect that, and feel compassion for them.

That doesn't mean the people may not be friendly, as most are, but it just depends on what you are looking for and how long you intend to stay.

The reviews referring to long term residents may not have anything to do, actually, with the people.

Some of the folks writing those reviews, too, may be more interested in being surrounded by like-minded folks, who are traveling and have similar experiences to share...and are not finding what they are expecting.

Maggie
Maggie, well said.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the thoughts.

I suppose I understand if the comments and reviews are more in regards to the facility. But, it seems like the comments could be reworded to make that clear. 'place didn't seem clean' is fair enough. 'not well maintained.' fair enough. 'full of permanents and long termers.' doesn't really say anything about the condition of the facility. It's poor reviewing, at its best... maybe a little mean at it's worst?

I dunno, but I find myself drawn to places that feel like communitiies. I find permanents and long termers to often be friendlier (and much quieter!) than folks that packed up the camper full of dogs and kids for a long weekend.

To each his own, I suppose. But I'd take this 'trailer park' I'm in right now over any KOA, any day. I just wonder if sometimes people are denying themselves a chance to see real slices of America. Those folks in or near poverty are regular ol' Americans!

Thank you. I appreciate this discussion and hope I have not offended.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Airstream snobbery, enough said.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Avionstream I have found that this phenomenon stretches far beyond airstream folks. These are general review sites for all RV owners.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My father-in-law became a "long termer" living in his RV. Sorry to say, he was the guy that bad reviews are written about, as he was something of a pack rat, and sure enough, more and more flotsam and jetsam accumulated around his site, as he stumbled upon "useful" stuff.

So maybe this story has become so recognizable, that the reviewers of the campgrounds are just using the expression "long termers" euphemistically to describe the village of gypsy encampments that I know so well--without meaning any particular personal disrespect toward any full time living RVer.

The "class" difference is real as well, though, and goes both ways--the expression "to each their own" seems quite appropriate here. I have camped in campgrounds where my little 21' seventies vintage trailer was surrounded by $200k mega-RVs, and I can't say that I fit in, or even aspired to.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Mingling with the 'permanents'....

Quote:

The "class" difference is real as well, though, and goes both ways--the expression "to each their own" seems quite appropriate here. I have camped in campgrounds where my little 21' seventies vintage trailer was surrounded by $200k mega-RVs, and I can't say that I fit in, or even aspired to.

Isn't that the truth! Last year we were traveling along the Columbia River, and decided to stop at an RV park with good reviews, though $$, further down the road. We got there later than I would have liked, and when we circled through we saw that it was paved from end to end, almost completely occupied by mega-RV's, with barely enough room in between to raise a canopy, which evidently wasn't important to the occupants, because nobody was outside anyway. It really looked more like an RV sales lot than an RV park. After one circle around the park, we headed out the gate for parts unknown, even though that was the last thing I wanted to do at that time of day. On the way out, the managers gave us a wave and a smirk from their porch, and it was pretty easy to figure out what was going through their minds.

We found another "park" further down the road occupied mainly by permanent residents in their well-aged trailers. We got a spot with a little garden and hookups for around $20, and couldn't have been happier.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I have no objection to full-timers or long-term residents. What I find objectionable at campgrounds is when the next episode of "Hoarders" is going to be filmed in the adjacent space. It seems the campgrounds can/should do a better job of requiring folks to not pile junk in their space as that detracts from the appeal of the campgrounds.

That said, last year I was at a campground that was probably at least half full of long-term residents, particularly snowbirds. It was meticulously maintained and patrolled and there were zero pack rats.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
Between Google Maps and their satellite view + street view (and Google Images to a lesser extent), you can usually get a feel for the place visually before you visit or commit. In most cases I have found so far, I have less issue with residents and more with just the location of the campground itself - backing up to construction sites, strange neighboring buildings, etc.

I tend to take reviews with a huge grain of salt and use Google to verify for myself if it's worth staying there. Even a bad campground can have one golden spot.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
When our children were growing up we had a permeant camp site so they had the same friends each week we also d.id vagabond camping for holidays and vacation .
The campground we stayed at had two halves one for permeant and one for short stays .
We often hosted cookouts and pot laches at the dance barn where every Sat night dances for all were held. The permeant campers always helped everyone set up if needed.
Alas that campground has sold and is now private property
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Back in my boating phase, the liveaboards were the greatest folks.
Always looking out for each other, and most had outside jobs.
But most marinas were banning liveaboards because of the rare individual who looked untrustworthy, on a junk houseboat with 27 cats. Unfortunately, the management, rather than deal with the one problem, just makes more rules.
It's the same with RV's, condos, and neighborhoods.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
There are lots of types of RV parks and lots of types of campers. We've stayed at ones with great reviews and reputation online that were horrible. We've stayed at others that sounded sketchy but we're great. If you find one that works for you, you won!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
"....I appreciate this discussion and hope I have not offended."

Good Question, TravelinMan and, based on the responses, you have offended no one. I bet a number of us will now do additional research when looking for campgrounds rather than just going by the reviews. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Airstream snobbery, enough said.
Well said!

Even though we have been Airstream owners for years, it seems like a high percentage of AS owners are mostly trying to impress each other, and themselves, most of them have no idea of how the owners of other brands perceive them......
We like Airstream, as there are very few serious maintenance problems. Our current AS is a '96, 34'er, and our current truck is an older (2003) Dodge/Cummins that I bought new.....
And yes, I drink my beer out of a can...

For what it worth..
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On one of our first trips I was 'speechless' when another camper said to me, "you're pretty nice for an Airstreamer..,,". What????????? So 'that' perception is out there and not really fair either (she caught me on a good day ��).
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have no quarrel with the "permanents." My problem is with the RV park or marina owners who long ago decided to "let their property go." And there goes the community rules & regulations, and pretty soon, everybody's just doing as they please & the place soon takes on the aura of a junkyard. I've spent my share of time in these places and also spent time talking with the park/marina manager if I can find him/her, and the usual response is, "Five or ten years ago, this place looked great, but the owners started having (health, money, etc.) problems, and the place hasn't looked the same since and has been on the market for sale for several years now. Meanwhile the "permanents" (and even the transients like me) have a great thing going (& I don't blame them for it), because with the disheveled state of the property, the owners can't realistically raise rents, so rents (whether for permanent or overnight) stay as they were years ago. A recent of one these for me was in Victorville, north of San Bernardino. It was basically a lovely, shaded, RV park with lots of space between parking stalls --- just a little run down. The manager said the owners had basically let it go, minimal maintenance was being done, etc. We had a fine stay there, with lots of permanents, at around $20/night, no problems. Our next stop was in Palmdale, an hour north of LA, at a typical "RV Resort," where our little AS was parked cheek to jowl between two mega-monsters. The park was all clean, very spiffy, just a little sterile (and substantially more than $20/night, although we lucked out by using our Passport America card for three nights).
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote