Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Another way to look at is there are MORE RV'S being produced than increases in campgrounds. Hummm
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Like all of us, RV campground owners aren't getting any younger. In our travels, we've found several campgrounds that are/were family-owned and, because the kids didn't want to carry on with the business, or because of illness, just couldn't keep up with maintenance chores, let alone with updating the facilities. Their profit margins tend to be very slim, and they rely on their seasonal and/or year-rounders to keep them afloat.

A couple of such places are among our favorite stops. At one of these, we know that the owner takes care of her husband, who has Alzheimer's, and she has no full-time help. When we're camped there, we try to help out a bit by shuttling the trash to the dumpster.

We find that one of the things we like most about RVing is that we have new neighbors every couple of days. Sometimes we meet folks that have a lot more than we do, and sometimes we meet folks that have a lot less. As long as they're civil, we pretty much take 'em as we find 'em.

It's a big country, and not everyone who lives in it is like us. We think that's a good thing.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this but this is the only RV forum I am a part of... Or any forum for that matter.

I am curious why there seems to be something of an aversion to the folks who have chosen to settle down in their trailers? I spend most of my life in my trailer and am lucky to be mobile and able, so I do more boondocking than RV park camping. But every time I look for a 'real' park (with hookups and such) I am confounded by what I see on review sites. The references to 'permanents' and 'long termer's with a negative kind of connotations, make me wonder.

Now here I am at a park in the middle of nowhere nevada and the last few reviews were very negative about the park being basic and full of 'long termers & permanents' 3 reviews like that and then they stop in 2012. Cause I'm assuming people stopped coming from the bad reviews. Well I came. And the park is basic and full of long termers and they are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I've met. This ain't the fist experience like this. Happens all the time. Hey neighbor, you like ribs? Care for some whiskey? Have a seat.....

Now i like solitude more than anyone but I don't expect it in an RV park. I'm wondering if these more stationary folks have been sitgmatized by the more mobile RV community and if perhaps people are missing out on meeting very kind and warm local people cause they write them off as bad permanents?Cause I have been invited into very beat up permanent trailers to be fed very delicious food and treated to very entertaining conversation that could only be had with locals.

Anyone have thoughts on this? It is curious to me.
I have stayed in the same park for the last 2 winters from Jan to end of April in Louisiana and there are permanents there too they work locally and are great neighbours always willing to help and inviting me for meals. There is lots of spots left for over nighters and with having permanents there you can always get good info about local happenings!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Another way to look at is there are MORE RV'S being produced than increases in campgrounds. Hummm
and therein lies the problem; when was the last time you saw/heard/read of a new campground opening? where is everyone going to camp in the future? space is getting more difficult to find as demand increases and supply is stagnant, and may in fact be constricting as campgrounds transition to low income/affordable housing as house prices increase.

makes one consider the long term viability of rv'ing.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Another take; campgrounds are becoming "resorts" and the $ increases. It is to me NO LONGER camping as the sites are also closer together and no privacy. I refer to it as outdoor living away from home. I/we gave up a membership because of this. I do admire some of the permanents/ seasonals as this is their way of relaxation and getting out.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, just a thought from a newbie who does have a radar up about reviews mentioning 'permanents' and why. We're new to this, and we were drawn to the idea of owning an Airstream partially by the beautiful pictures and locations you see in the ads and brochures, as well as the great locations people share on this forum. The idea of camping in beautiful locations while also being near tourist locations but still enjoying solitude and views you don't get with many hotels. We tent camped in nice places for years and thought it was time (driven partially by our aging backs) to move up. We were drawn to the adventure and discovery of beautiful places. That's the magic they've been selling even in old Airstream ads from way way back. Low and behold on one of our first trips, (halfway home, to break up our first long drive) we stayed a few nights at a public rv campground in the Berkshires. We knew there were seasonal places and we only got our site due to a cancellation. The owners were very nice and the guy kindly and patiently guided us into our first back-in. As we headed into the weekend, the camp filled up to become, from my art directors eye, quite a visually unattractive place to be. It was like a huge loud block party with lots of kids and dogs running around and tons of old trailers with half collapsed decks attached and stuff covered in blue tarps, and it felt a little like what you'd imagine a post apocalyptic society in the woods would look like. Nothing like the beautiful campsite near a stream we dreamed about. That said, i think the people who were there probably go for the season every year, and know their neighbors, and enjoy the company around them, and feel like it's a nice safe place for their kids to have fun while they sit around the campfire chatting. It just wasn't the scene we are looking for. Everyone likes a different cup of tea. I think the problem we never saw coming is that it seems like the choices of campgrounds we've been seeing while looking at reviews are by and large crowded, parking lot style places calling themselves resorts because they have a pool and bingo, even if they have run down old bathroom facilities. I know we're going to have to figure out where people boondock, and go to state parks to find the kind of locations we're thinking of, but isn't it a shame that there aren't campgrounds with full hookups, AND pretty locations with privacy and views. I understand there are economics involved, but I think many people would be willing to pay a premium for a premium location. Bottom line, to (finally) get back to your original question, I certainly have nothing against the 'permanent people' or the campgrounds they are in, and I suspect people warning of such in their reviews don't either. It's just not the style of camping we're looking for right now. And it doesn't seem snobbish to me for the review to point out the difference. If I had kids and dogs and WERE looking for that type of campground, I'd possibly be put off by the reviews describing private remote campgrounds that offer views and solitude but little human interaction if that wasn't what I were seeking at the time. Here's hoping we can learn to find places to stay that fit the style we are looking for, and I also think we will learn to enjoy the other style as well. Funny, I had a long career in advertising and yet have probably fallen victim to its dramatized vision. Ha!
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #27
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Hi, just a thought from a newbie who does have a radar up about reviews mentioning 'permanents' and why. We're new to this, and we were drawn to the idea of owning an Airstream partially by the beautiful pictures and locations you see in the ads and brochures, as well as the great locations people share on this forum. The idea of camping in beautiful locations while also being near tourist locations but still enjoying solitude and views you don't get with many hotels. We tent camped in nice places for years and thought it was time (driven partially by our aging backs) to move up. We were drawn to the adventure and discovery of beautiful places. That's the magic they've been selling even in old Airstream ads from way way back. Low and behold on one of our first trips, (halfway home, to break up our first long drive) we stayed a few nights at a public rv campground in the Berkshires. We knew there were seasonal places and we only got our site due to a cancellation. The owners were very nice and the guy kindly and patiently guided us into our first back-in. As we headed into the weekend, the camp filled up to become, from my art directors eye, quite a visually unattractive place to be. It was like a huge loud block party with lots of kids and dogs running around and tons of old trailers with half collapsed decks attached and stuff covered in blue tarps, and it felt a little like what you'd imagine a post apocalyptic society in the woods would look like. Nothing like the beautiful campsite near a stream we dreamed about. That said, i think the people who were there probably go for the season every year, and know their neighbors, and enjoy the company around them, and feel like it's a nice safe place for their kids to have fun while they sit around the campfire chatting. It just wasn't the scene we are looking for. Everyone likes a different cup of tea. I think the problem we never saw coming is that it seems like the choices of campgrounds we've been seeing while looking at reviews are by and large crowded, parking lot style places calling themselves resorts because they have a pool and bingo, even if they have run down old bathroom facilities. I know we're going to have to figure out where people boondock, and go to state parks to find the kind of locations we're thinking of, but isn't it a shame that there aren't campgrounds with full hookups, AND pretty locations with privacy and views. I understand there are economics involved, but I think many people would be willing to pay a premium for a premium location. Bottom line, to (finally) get back to your original question, I certainly have nothing against the 'permanent people' or the campgrounds they are in, and I suspect people warning of such in their reviews don't either. It's just not the style of camping we're looking for right now. And it doesn't seem snobbish to me for the review to point out the difference. If I had kids and dogs and WERE looking for that type of campground, I'd possibly be put off by the reviews describing private remote campgrounds that offer views and solitude but little human interaction if that wasn't what I were seeking at the time. Here's hoping we can learn to find places to stay that fit the style we are looking for, and I also think we will learn to enjoy the other style as well. Funny, I had a long career in advertising and yet have probably fallen victim to its dramatized vision. Ha!
Rich
I think you're going to find that there's an amazing variety of camping experiences and expectations out there. As someone who grew up backpacking, I was amazed that "car camping" was considered camping at all, and it never even occurred to me that RV folks would consider what they do as camping too.

It takes all kinds. Try a few different experiences and you just might find some new ones you enjoy--and if you don't, then just stick to those places that give you the experience you wanted. Lots of options out there!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Traveling Man, thanks for bringing this up. It causes me to do some soul-searching. I must confess to a prejudiced view of "long-term" residents. I am not proud of that. I guess I see folks with rough clothes and lots of tattoos and draw conclusions that are not warranted. There are real problems sometimes, such as several trucks at a site occupied by workmen, more tobacco smoke than I like, loud music, etc., but those things can be found in camping "resorts" as well.

A few times, pressed by nightfall or full campgrounds, I have stayed in "junky-looking" campgrounds and found the residents very helpful in getting parked and set up. They often comment positively about the AS and don't seem put off by the old folks in the fancy silver trailer. Thanks, Traveling Man, you have stimulated an attitude adjustment that I needed.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe it is important for positive traveling experiences to work to keep an open mind, as we move around the country and encounter others who are "not like us"... in socio-economic status, dress, ethnic background, lifestyle, etc.

Smile and say hello, operate with the basic assumption that people are good and mean you no harm.

We are all more alike than we are different, is the truth.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, Maggie, and may I take this opportunity to thank you for your signature? Every time I read a post of yours, I am reminded . . .

�� �� Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.����❤️

Thank you for this daily reminder. Have a good weekend and a great camping season!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
This has been an interesting thread. I remember when we had a popup, we camped at a park that was 50% permanents near Mount Airy, NC. This was about ten years ago. It seemed to me these were permenantly parked vacation homes with decks built on to the trailers. All of the sites were well kept and although not all of the rv's and trailers were brand new, most appeared clean and neat on the outside.

I guess with so many young families gravitating toward full time rv living, more and more permanents will grab long term spaces. I had questioned with this huge influx of new full-timers, what would the new demand for site availability do to the future of our travels?

When we first began camping over twenty years ago, it was no problem to simply pull into a campground and get a site without reservations. When we went back to tent camping three years ago, I found that was no longer the case. Even in our state campgrounds in Virginia, without reservations a month or so in advance, it was difficult to get a site.

I do think this cycle will evolve though and correct itself because so many (but not all) of the millennial jumping on the full time bandwagon will tire of it and want to go back to regular house living and although the housing market is hot in many areas, it will cool and prices will stabilize.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Presidio Texas is in Big Bend Country next to Big Bend Ranch State Park (not the national park) It is the only campground in town. It looks like it has seen better days and is full of "permanent" RVers. They are about the nicest folks I have ever met.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
We stopped in to a campground in VA, I think on our way home. It had primarily long term tenants there with only three transient sites. we were fortunate to get one of those the park was extremely well-maintained. Most people we weekend types as a lot of The campers or not occupied while we were there.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
last year we were camped in our vintage Airstream surrounded by huge mega rigs ,but guess what everyone wanted to see the Tin Tipi and one gentle soul wanted to buy her. Asking do you think any of our rigs will look this good in 54 years?
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I look at those big rigs and envy all the room they have inside, but then my wife slaps me and reminds me we are Airstreamers, lol.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
We've criss crossed the country 3 times now in 4 yrs. in our camper. What I've seen is campgrounds with many permanent residents are often 'jaded' towards the travel crowd, handing you 3 pages of rules when you check in cause let's face it, there are some real idiots running loose these days. That said, once they determine you're NOT one of 'those morons', ie: behaving as if you're the only one there, disrespecting everyone else, they always, in my experience, have been the nicest people on the planet. I find in general, two kinds of campers...the permanent type that considers their camper their home but includes a certain traveler that respects that mindset of privacy, solitude and a camping experience that embraces the outdoors..having TV & internet is not very high on their list. and then there's what I call 'the parking lot camper'. They seem to have rigs with lots of toys and TVs, they're comfortable camping side by side, 2ft from others but go about their bidness totally oblivious to who or what's around them. They drink & watch their outdoor TVs late into the night, yakking at full volume and then their kids roll out at the crack of dawn & start fighting with each other while their parents sleep it off....its THESE idiots I think the 'permanent' campers get bad reviews from cause the idiots rarely camp where there's no internet.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I treat everyone with equal respect no matter the age, race or stature. From past breakdown experiences, a beat up automobile will pull over to help, than a Mercedes. People taking advantage of other's misfortune..... that's another story.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Another take; campgrounds are becoming "resorts" and the $ increases. It is to me NO LONGER camping as the sites are also closer together and no privacy.
Here's my dilemma, when I'm just passing through, I just want power, water, and a quiet spot to park for one night. I don't want or need Volleyball courts, swimming pool, bicycle rentals, camping cabins, or any of the "family" attractions. And I want it to be reasonably priced. ($30?). At the same time, the local governments look at small business owners as a never ending source of revenue, raise taxes, and so campgrounds want to charge $50 a night. To do that, they offer all the stuff I don't want, and try to attract families with kids rather than me.
The kind of places I like are drying up.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last fall I spent an evening at a private RV park in Birmingham, AL. It was full of pipeline workers. Guessing 60 trailers of all shapes and sizes. Found out most of the tailers were owned by the "Company". Lots of accumulated stuff around the trailers but the park was quite, well maintained and clean.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here's my dilemma, when I'm just passing through, I just want power, water, and a quiet spot to park for one night. I don't want or need Volleyball courts, swimming pool, bicycle rentals, camping cabins, or any of the "family" attractions. And I want it to be reasonably priced. ($30?). At the same time, the local governments look at small business owners as a never ending source of revenue, raise taxes, and so campgrounds want to charge $50 a night. To do that, they offer all the stuff I don't want, and try to attract families with kids rather than me.
The kind of places I like are drying up.
Try Passport America for those overnight stays....a 50% off club, low annual fee.

There's at least one thread on them here, so don't want to hijack, but exactly what you seem to be looking for...and at a bargain price.

Maggie