Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Milwaukee Wisconsin Question

As the proud owner of both
The American Legend "Airstream"
and the American Icon "Harley Davidson"
I have found the perfect event to combine my two loves.
Next year Harley Davidson is celebrating their 105 birthday by throwing a big party in Milwaukee over Labour day weekend.

After looking at hotel room rates of around $200 a night I decided we would take the Trailer instead.

A quick internet search turned up the Wisconson State Fair Grounds located right in Milwaukee. A quick phone call got us a reservation for 10 days with full hook ups , 50amp , water and sewer, for less than two days in a hotel.

From Googel Earth it looks like a parking lot, no grass or trees but thats OK.

What I want to know is has anyone ever stayed there and how was youe experiance?
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Maple Valley , Washington
I have been by the place many times. You will be in a excellent location for the events. Keep the reservation! This place will be booked. You will also be close to Miller Park and in-between Waukesha (Fairground Harley events) and downtown where the new museum is going up. Any guess who the headling entertainer will be? Elton John again?
Good luck, James
paxflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i think you scored big time, keep the reservation. it may be a parking lot but getting any place within 100 miles will be tough.

for the rest of you thinking about doing this later on i might suggest the campgrounds in and around madison/dane county. 90 miles away!

john
Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Agree that location will be great for you. Walked by the campground a couple weeks ago when the State Fair was going on. Of course it was packed. Parking lot is a good description of it but if you want to be located in the metro area, this would be a good pick for you.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
I rode my Harley to Milwaukee for the 100th Party in '03. (976 miles one way in 1 day going out there). What a blast. I'm not a big crowd person but to be there with 350,000 other riders was unbelievable. The locals were the nicest people.

Did the Hotel thing so I can't offere any insight on the Fairgrounds. Be sure to go up to Oshkosh if you can for the EAA.
Don't know if you're taking your bike but if you have any troubles with your bike while there, go to House of Harley. My Cam bearings failed after I arrived (Harley known defect) and they did an outstanding job on the repair. Harley picked up the tab ($1129.00).

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
We stayed there for three nights in early May 2004 during a visit with friends. The site is close to Interstate 94 for easy access. With full hookups, we did not use the public showers so we can’t comment on them. The photos confirm the previous comments about the park being one big parking lot. The billboard furnished the only scenery. We would definitely stay there again – 10 points for convenience & cleanliness and 0 for atmosphere. However, we were only looking for a place to park and sleep.

We also agree that Milwaukee people are friendly -- as long as they are not behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. In three 10K mile trips around the US that have taken us through most of the large metro areas – LA, Houston, NY/NJ close to NYC, Washington (DC), Orlando, and Chicago, we found the other drivers in Milwaukee to be the most discourteous of all the places we have traveled. They were not about to give an RV a break for a required lane transition left to another highway. We also got a honking horn and a single-digit salute from the only other car within a quarter mile – not exactly traffic congestion -- and we had our left-turn signal on for at least a block.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WI State Fair Park 1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	43872 Click image for larger version

Name:	WI State Fair Park 2.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	43873
Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck
Be sure to go up to Oshkosh if you can for the EAA.
We live 20 miles from Oshkosh. EAA just wrapped up the last week in July. It is a great event and they have a huge campground set up. We had a guest speaker in Rotary a couple weeks ago from EAA Board of Directors and he mentioned how many people come back year after year and if in the campground request to have a certain campsite as it like a reunion of friends. Sounds very much like the Airstream rallies where everyone has something in common (airplanes for EAA and Airstreams for us).

EAA has a museum that is very good and open year around. If traveling through the area, it's a good stop if you enjoy aviation.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Thanks Folks

Thank you all for the input, looks like I did ok.

The photos were a very nice touch, thanks 2cowpokes.

We are absolutly taking the bike,FordTruck, like you I was also at the 100th, rode over from Detroit just for the weekend, tent camped in a friends yard in Franklin. Taking the wife this time and she demands a little more comfort.

Sorry about your cam bearing problem, we also had a breakdown on a friends Sportser, he lost a clutch, The dealer in Kenosha took care of his , but he had to pay.

2003 was a great event I even had a parade pass , but only being their for the weekend was not enough thats why I got 10 days this time. Drive over on Saturday 8/23 and stay till 9/1. Load the Road Glide in the back of the Ford HarleyDavidson F250 hook up the CCD and spend some quality time with a few 100 thousand friends in Milwaukee. Feel free to stop by if any of you are in town then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small tow rig.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	43986  
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote