Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2021, 01:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well if all 4 take turns driving it might not be terrible. Even with 4 drivers would be better to take 1 day off for rest at least every 7th day.
"rest" ???

Is that why we're doing this?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
goal oriented

In BC and AK, we were more goal oriented since there is not a lot of services in between cities. So, we planned in being in Clinton, BC. Next stop Prince George. Some days it was under 200 miles or close to 300. And 90 km per hour is very doable.

Things we noticed while up north in 2019: You really have to look hard to find an unpaved road. Diesel is more available than high test gas. You still have to slow down for frost heave or attempts to repair them. There will be road construction and you will have a long wait. Going through Customs will take some time. If you take the Cassier (nicely paved), stay at Meziadin Lake Provincial Park. The Milepost, book and website, is a great planning tool.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We actually also have mom and dad in their 50s and 2 adult kids in their 20s.

We find it the best solution to actually have 2 vehicles.

Why? Crazy you say? Wasteful? Not the way we see it.

1-no one has to spend their vacation in the back seat. As adults, this is pretty important. Also , some of us tend to get motion sick and the back seat is a 100% upchuck guarantee. It is just a nicer experience for all this way.

2-better tow experience as payload is less. We have a Tundra and our payload is our limiting factor. It is a much better use of resources for us to have the kids drive their own fuel efficient vehicle than to trade in a paid-for Tundra which is a daily driver, to get a ¾ ton truck that would get worse mileage 365 days a year and also cost $$$$$.

3-having a non-towing vehicle lets the group split up if you want. Two kids can linger at an attraction if they want. You can switch who rides with who, and get some alone 1 on 1 time with each of your kids. THIS is really nice when they are young adults and you don't get a lot of time together like when they were younger.

4-having that more nimble and fuel efficient vehicle when you are at your destination makes sightseeing a lot easier. Day trips are easier, shopping and parking is easier

5-we usually leave from one city, they leave from another, and we meet up on day 2 or 3 of the trip. Makes this logistical situation much better. If we didn't take 2 vehicles, we would have to pick them up or they would have to come to us, which wastes vacation days which are precious.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:50 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
avg mph

I have only traveled alone pulling a 31'. I like to plan 350 mile journey legs. After reading some of these post, its apparent that I need some improvement in this area.
speedometer needle usually sits at 61MPH, and my 350 miles seem to take 9 hours , so 38.88 avg MPH.
I must be smelling to many roses along the way.

For overnight stops, I only do a power plug in, so it doesn't take much time, which is good since its always after dark..(winter travel...dark at 5PM)

mike
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
WELL

I am REALLY GLAD I posted this thread!!

Because my employment over the years excluded any vacations over two weeks, my family and I have never travelled very far. All of our vacations have been two days' driving to destination and back (such as Cambria and the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, in California). The one exception was a trip to Utah (Arches and Bryce) in a minivan with an aunt and uncle, two of us driving of the six travelling.

I see some agree with using 50 mph for planning, while others note actual road speed of 55-60 mph with "pit stops" reducing the average.

The idea of a second car is definitely worth investigating. For us the added cost of gas, parking, and especially the ferry trip tickets from Skagway to Juneau to Prince Rupert might be deal-breakers. My daughter's 2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 would be a GREAT asset, but she may not want to drive that much.

I am not closing this thread, but I want to enthusiastically THANK all of you for posting!

Best,
-Ken
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Remember the case of the Americans who crossed into Canada saying they were driving through to Alaska last summer. They did some tourist stops in Banff and Jasper National Parks and were arrested for doing so. Consider waiting until 2022 for your trip.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Agree with many posts on 250miles/4PM plan.
Have done cross country trips and based route/distance more on seeing the sights along the way than destination.
I add a “rest day” every 4 days of travel. This makes the trip more fun, relaxing and not a slog.
But then, we’re not in a hurry to “get there”, so it works for us. Other folks might find this boring or too slow.
We like the fun!
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
When do you plan to stop and see anything in only 19 days? Isn't the whole purpose of having an Airstream to NOT drive on the Interstates?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Old 01-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
We use Mapquest. It shows mileage and travel time so it takes into account city traffic, winding roads, fast interstates, etc. We then add an hour to the time to take care of our more than frequent stops (dogs, bathroom, etc) and the fact we are pulling a trailer.

We used to try (for some unknown reasons) for 8-10 hour days. We finally woke up and now plan for 4 - 5 hour days and enjoy the trip more.
Each to his/her own.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Lacey , Washington
Thumbs up Road miles v/s highway miles

I would like to suggest that you drive 250-300 miles maximum a day using 50 mph as an average. Depart around 9 am and quit around 3 pm to reduce rush hour congestion. We also build in rest days (non-driving or local excursions trip only) by staying two nights at our 2nd drive day destination. I like the two days of driving with a day of rest allowing local discovery when possible. Just repeat the driving plan and you'll find travel very enjoyable.

Does your spouse or travel companion drive the rig? We often switch drivers even if its for just a couple hours. You'll have pease of mind in knowing that if the main driver couldn't drive for some reason you have a backup driver. Let your backup driver also hitch-up the rig for knowledge and practice.

In today's world being as self sufficient is a big advantage.
WBACI #16885
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #31
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
300 miles a day is doable, at 50 mph, but you don't want to do that for too many days in a row or it feels like work. Setting up and breaking down camp will add about an hour in the morning and evening to your day (securing everything inside and outside...). As others setting up in the dark is not fun, and you may or may not have all your stops planned out and reserved. We share the driving but try not to have more than 2 long days in a row. Will you share the driving 4 ways? Try and stay several days in each "destination" to enjoy it. If we are "passing through" we like commercial drive through sites and don't unhitch overnight, saves us some time and effort, but we try not to do more than 2 max 3 "heavy" days in a row. Might do a longer day than 6 hours occasionally, but then have rest and destination days to enjoy. Being a driver or passenger for 6+ hours a day gets uncomfortable after day 2.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndcctrucks View Post
. . .
I am not closing this thread, but I want to enthusiastically THANK all of you for posting!
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
. . .
. . . Consider waiting until 2022 for your trip.
Good suggestion Marty.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Cali. - AK

Sounds like a nice trip, hope you're able to do it some day.
Bear in mind in our present situation IF you're allowed to come in to Canada with AK as your destination, you'll only have a regulated number of days to get to the AK border and if you're found off track or spend too long in Canada without good reason you will be fined (heavily). You'll want to check with Canada Border Services (www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca) and plan this thoroughly before getting started. The Western Provinces are currently considering inter-Provincial restrictions on travel, so guess where they'll stand on inter-national travel.

Jim
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
MORE good stuff! THANKS

The plan is summer 2022

I would like to point out that I may not be able to get three weeks off; do I want to travel just 200 miles a day and see everything? Of course. But my time is quite limited, and that’s IF I am permitted to get that many days consecutively.

I appreciate taking breaks and days of no travel, of course!

Maybe my goal isn’t clear: the trip IS the destination. Seeing the Pacific Northwest coast, a few Grimm sites, wonderful Banff and Jasper, and the Alaskan coastal mountains, ports, and Inland Passage... and Vancouver and Seattle. We will see so much, even just through the truck windows for much of it. Much of the route has “empty” miles with sites to see, few and far between, so covering miles seems acceptable.

We are NOT retired; we have employers who rely on us to actually be there to produce. So I am trying to do the most for my kids in limited time before they move out of the house and start their own families. This trip will be, in part, educational more than vacation. I want them to see uncrowded places which are clean and where water rationing is unheard of.

Thank you for encouraging me to try to plan for a more sedate and relaxed experience. I will try to add more down time between trip segments.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
I guess another question would be:

For persons in their mid-40's to mid-50's, how many hours a day driving/riding is comfortable?

I had originally planned on doing the 6600 miles in three weeks; this averages to about 350 miles per day at 19 days, with the longest stretch at about 450 miles.

Buuuuut, that might be demanding a bit too much?
For what sounds like relatively inexperienced combination rig drivers, with 4 people onboard ( rest stops/ etc) in grade areas/ coastal running/ etc etc, it sounds like you're pushing it.
Quite a bit.Maybe that's just me though.
PS After reading advice on Canada, you might want to skip that leg.Jus sayin....
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
My two cents worth. Four hours. Anything beyond that for more than a day or two and you begin questioning whether Airstreaming is any fun. Before retirement we used to do more than that to “get” somewhere, but that was very tiring because when you are towing you have ti be on high alert.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We never make any real plans , we are going to the UP from Montana, we just head east,..no plans as there is no certain time to get there..as we are retired and not getting paid by the mile anymore...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
MORE good stuff! THANKS

The plan is summer 2022

I would like to point out that I may not be able to get three weeks off; do I want to travel just 200 miles a day and see everything? Of course. But my time is quite limited, and that’s IF I am permitted to get that many days consecutively.

I appreciate taking breaks and days of no travel, of course!

Maybe my goal isn’t clear: the trip IS the destination. Seeing the Pacific Northwest coast, a few Grimm sites, wonderful Banff and Jasper, and the Alaskan coastal mountains, ports, and Inland Passage... and Vancouver and Seattle. We will see so much, even just through the truck windows for much of it. Much of the route has “empty” miles with sites to see, few and far between, so covering miles seems acceptable.

We are NOT retired; we have employers who rely on us to actually be there to produce. So I am trying to do the most for my kids in limited time before they move out of the house and start their own families. This trip will be, in part, educational more than vacation. I want them to see uncrowded places which are clean and where water rationing is unheard of.

Thank you for encouraging me to try to plan for a more sedate and relaxed experience. I will try to add more down time between trip segments.
In that case try to plan a test trip this summer. Plan to take an 8 day trip about 900 miles each way 2 days at destination a 9th day off to rest before going back to work. After that you can decide how feasible the longer trip is.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We find it the best solution to actually have 2 vehicles.
Quote:
I like the idea of two cars. Another benefit would be being able to mix up th combos of the two people...better quality individual time with the different combos rather than all in it together. I assume your "kids" won't be vacationing with you much longer as a family...which may be the point of such an aggressive trip plan "while you can", but still working.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
the days of driving 600+ miles a day for us are over....enjoy the ride is our motto now...we try to decide each afternoon, where we are going to be/stay the next day with around 300-350 miles max...sometimes only 100-150 miles if we are in Utah...the beauty of this state is not to be missed, IMHO...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and AS in Arches.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	387869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches National Park.jpg
Size:	594.0 KB
ID:	387870  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyonlands.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	387871   Click image for larger version

Name:	camping in capital reef.jpg
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	387872  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote