Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
Michigan to Yellowstone 2017

Hello all!
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I'll give it a shot. My wife and I are picking up our '17 22FB sport in about a week (Merry xmas to us) We're planning a couple small shake down trips in the spring and summer. BUT Next Aug/Sept we're planning a 2 to 3 week trip to Grand Teton/Yellowstone and I just thought I'd put this out there. Anyone in the Great Lakes/Chicago (or anywhere East) area that might want to caravan with us. We're thinking about leaving around Aug 31st, taking our time, driving 6 hours or so each day. I have a basic itinerary set, stopping in the Wisc Dells, Mount Rushmore a cople KOA's.
Is this something that AS'ers do? Any tips for our trip?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Deviate2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons 2017

Hi Mike,
Made a similar trip in 2015 to Yellowstone and the Tetons, although we started out in NC. Here are a few campgrounds that we enjoyed and some nearby attractions.

Wisconsin Dells area. http://www.4countryroads.com/
We did the boat tour of the Dells. Very informative, relaxing, and beautiful trip.

Buffalo, Wyoming. http://www.indiancampground.com/
Nice campground. Convenient to Hwy 16 which is the safest and most scenic route to cross the Big Horn Mountains.
The Jim Gatchell museum and the Occidental Hotel in downtown Buffalo were great.

Cody, Wyoming, Buffalo Bill State Park Campground, nine miles west of Cody http://travel.wyo-park.com/campgroun...-park/Overview
Right on the Shoshone River close to the Buffalo Bill Dam and the East entrance to Yellowstone. Buffalo Bill Museum is great in Cody

Powell, Wyoming. Homesteader Park (Hwy14A). Great place to overnight and boondock. Free. No hook-ups, but access to water, bathrooms, picnic tables, and grills, and a dump station. Powell is located just outside of Cody, Wy.

Big Horn Mountains. Tie Flume Campground
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ti...O&parkId=73800
No hook-ups but beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Also be sure to try to drive the Wind River Canyon route that is between Cheyenne and Thermopolis. Thermopolis is worth a stop at the state park for a dip in the hot springs mineral water.
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.aspx?siteID=9

We didn't stay at any KOA's so just wanted to give you some ideas for scenic places to stay.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
If you're planning a stop at Rapid City and Mt Rushmore...you can save a couple of bucks by "overnighting at Cabelas" in RC. They have an excellent set up for overnight parking including access to water, a dump station, horse coral and a dog kennel. We stayed there this past September. It's located in the back parking lot behind the store.

Happy traveling...

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congratulations on your new Airstream.

We also have a 22 sport model, and we went to Yellowstone and GTNP last summer. Below is a link to a trip write-up I did on that vacation.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

We are going again this summer, over 4th of July again.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...IDdgFu67CoMlpw

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
East Ryegate , Vermont
Mike:
I'm interested to caravan with you.
Ronald Morgan
ronald@evergreen-energy.net
Rascal0729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
Congratulations on your new Airstream, lots of good camping on your way through Wyoming, you can take US16 through Buffalo on the way to Grand Teton NP and US14 through Sheridan on the way back.
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
We went out there a few years back in mid August and ran into snow in the upper elevations
we may be interested in going with you it's a beautiful trip I don't know if I want to drag my 30' through Yellowstone .
Les
woodfox45@gmail.com
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Don't miss the Badlands (along with a stop at Wall Drug). Make sure you have reservations for Yellowstone - we liked Grant Village campground for its central location. The campgrounds there shut down in September - some sooner than others.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
If you are going via west I-80 into Wyoming, when you get to Laramie consider taking the Snowy Range Road (Wyoming Highway 130).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Highway_130

It's a nice change from the interstate. We have taken this route more than once....

Have a great trip.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There are several National Forest campgrounds just east of the entrance to Yellowstone outside of Cody. We stay there and avoid the crowds at the campgrounds inside Yellowstone. Most have electricity and a place to get water, the scenery is the same as if you were inside Yellowstone only no crowds.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Some, but not all, of the Forest Service campgrounds east of the Park close on Labor Day weekend. You can make reservations on Recreation.Gov for the some of the ones that stay open. However, you should know that the east gate is 26 miles from Fishing Bridge (the first visitor center, gas station, restaurants) and is a slow 26 miles at that ( you are crossing Sylvan Pass)

I work there and I have to say that I would bite the bullet and reserve a spot at the Fishing Bridge RV Park. It isn't a garden spot by any means but has the only hookups in the park. No fire rings or picnic tables due to high bear numbers in the neighborhood. Yet, there you are, in one of the prettiest areas of the park without the commute in and out. All kinds of Ranger programs, the marina and the Yellowstone Hotel (for that splurge dinner) within a 10 minute drive.

If you can dry camp, Madison would be my first choice.

As we left this September, the big cheeses of the NPS and the Concessionaires were meeting to discuss extending the season. So far, no hard news but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the campgrounds get extended at least a week.

Be prepared for cold. In my 8 years, it has snowed at least once 7 of those years during the first week of September.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Keep looking in this string you will find a long winded post from me about this subject.. most important enjoy yourself, and take your personal saftey into your own hands! Nuff said🔚
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
Thanks for all the responses, I just got my computer back up and running.. It's too hard to respond via my phone. I'll posting the itinerary we have so far.

It looks like we'll be leaving Detroit Aug 31st, driving to the Wisconsin Dells area, (KOA?) staying the night, from there to Sioux falls, then on to Mount Rushmore, from there on into Grand Teton (boondocking if needed.) We're staying at Colter bay campgrounds from around Sept 3rd to the 6th, then heading up to Yellowstone. Staying at Grant village campground for about 4 or 5 days. On the way back we may stop at Devil's tower for a day or two hiking.
I know there were a few that might be interested in caravaning with us. Take a look at you schedules and see if that works.
We just picked up our 2017 Bambi 22Fb, just have it sitting in our snowy backyard so far. We've had a few friends over and warmed it up for a few hours...it's going to be perfect!!

Mike
Deviate2112 is offline   Reply With Quote