Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Michigan to Montana

In August will be departing northern metro Detroit for the Madison river near the west entrance to Yellowstone. Did this 2 years ago using interstates. This time I'm ok with interstates from starting point (south east MI) to the other side of Chicago. After that, I'd like to go non interstate. Would love some suggestions and thoughts surrounding those suggestions.
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Consider driving north and picking up US 2, which will take you west across the prairies and into Montana.

A less traveled road, thru huge expanses of beautiful prairie that a bit boggle the mind.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
US 2 what a jewel, though small towns, and back yards, slow down and smell the flowers.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Check for construction no matter what road you choose. I remember driving about 50 miles on a 30 degree tilt along US2 (many years ago).
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Current Plan

Thanks everyone. I've set up a preliminary Hwy2 route heading north from SE Michigan to the northern peninsula where I will pick up 2. The present iteration has me hanging on Hwy 2 until I hit Malta, MT where I start to head south on 191.

There may be alterations between now and then and other suggestions are always welcome.

bp
Old 06-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Petoskey , Michigan
Consider Badger Ferry

As an alternate route, consider taking the Badger ferry out of Luddington, MI across Lake Michigan, the last coal-fired ferry in North America. The Badger and her sister ship originally carried railroad cars to avoid the bottleneck in Chicago. Now you can enjoy a bygone experience including 2 bars, a movie theater, you can even rent a stateroom.
Pickup US-10 in Bay City, MI then straight across the state to Luddington. The ferry departs at Manitouac, WI, just south of Green Bay. From there you can continue on US-10 west to Minneapolis, then north to US-2. or you can turn south to US-30 and head west
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Forgot about the slower ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
As an alternate route, consider taking the Badger ferry out of Luddington, MI across Lake Michigan, the last coal-fired ferry in North America. The Badger and her sister ship originally carried railroad cars to avoid the bottleneck in Chicago. Now you can enjoy a bygone experience including 2 bars, a movie theater, you can even rent a stateroom.
Pickup US-10 in Bay City, MI then straight across the state to Luddington. The ferry departs at Manitouac, WI, just south of Green Bay. From there you can continue on US-10 west to Minneapolis, then north to US-2. or you can turn south to US-30 and head west
I had earlier checked out the southern ferry but it had height limits. Thanks for the reminder, I need to check this out. Always wanted to try the ferry so this might be the opportunity. Also worth considering #2 for one way and #30 for the other. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Head up to the UP and take 2 from there. It's a very nice drive. No nonsense dealing with the Chicago metro area.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Head up to the UP and take 2 from there. It's a very nice drive. No nonsense dealing with the Chicago metro area.

Bob
That was my plan having done it once before without a trailer. May be the route this time since it such a nice route after getting off of I 75.

But I am also intrigued by the thought of the ferry. I travel between north Detroit suburbs to NW lower michigan each week so I know the route well with Ludington 45 minutes south of home.

If I do the ferry route, I'll leave SE Michigan and find a place to spend the night near Ludington before the 9am departure. This would essentially add a day since I don't want to plan on a 5am departure to make the Ferry departure.

Still considering options and appreciate all suggestions.

bp
Old 06-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I, personally, think that whenever we can take a ferry we should.

They are a relic of the past that this country was built on, and it’s just such a unique experience to do.

Tho I also feel Rt. 2 across the plains is a great experience.

This Interstate and it’s prior version have been on ferries all over the Midwest, South and East.

Because, why not?

Maggie
Old 06-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickp View Post
That was my plan having done it once before without a trailer. May be the route this time since it such a nice route after getting off of I 75.

But I am also intrigued by the thought of the ferry. I travel between north Detroit suburbs to NW lower michigan each week so I know the route well with Ludington 45 minutes south of home.

If I do the ferry route, I'll leave SE Michigan and find a place to spend the night near Ludington before the 9am departure. This would essentially add a day since I don't want to plan on a 5am departure to make the Ferry departure.

Still considering options and appreciate all suggestions.

bp
Hi

5AM departure to catch the 9AM ferry is pretty much 100% guaranteed to get you stuck in traffic .... I have a lot of data on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Petoskey , Michigan
BP,

Check with the Badger ferry and consider spending the night (or early morning) at the ferry parking lot. I have seen semis waiting hours for the ferry, apparently resting in their cabs. If not, there are probably a bunch of nearby places to camp for the night. Keep us posted on your decision and progress
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm another fan of US 2. Did it in 1971 going from NY to AK and again in 2011.