Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mennonite Spectators - difclt 3P hitch up

So I am leaving Hungry Mothers State Park today (Marion, VA, wonderful park to visit if you get a chance, not the most fantastic campsites, but in the B loop site 10 is very nice, right on a beautiful little creek) and I had quite a bit of trouble getting my propride hitched up.

The spot I ended up parking and unhitching from was quite awkward to simplify, and it ended up that my truck was on very uneven ground in the spot in which I had to unhitch.

I knew it could prove tricky to re-hitch up....you would approach it, my wife was directing me..it all looks good, then comes the uneven part and it was kinda unpredictable

Overall, I learned a few things from that experience, but what was like a scene from the “long long trailer”...there were all these kids all week (I think they were Mennonite families) riding bikes around the loop...and when I begin to attempt hitching...well, here comes about 10-12 of these kids and teens...just parked there 5 feet from where I am doing my thing...parents (at least 2 of them anyway) were next to me near there just watching and smirking as well. Actually was glad no one offered to “help”...

Anyway, after much fiddling, I got it all done...

But seriously, I was incredibly annoyed with both the kids and the parents that just sit there and would not tell them thar heathens to “GIT!”

Patience tested...I passed...still have a happy marriage and no Mennonite children were harmed in the process.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Besides ensuring good alignment, I filed off the sharp back edges of the stinger to help it slip into the head easier, and use a shot of my handy and versatile CorrosionX each time as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The P3 can be fun to hitch even when not "on the level". Even more so with a playful crowd of gawkers.

I learned on soft or uneven approach, I can toss some boards under truck tires to improve stinger angle. Mennonites may prove too squishy.

Happy hitchin!

Btw, a few years ago a group of Mennonites came and stayed in one of our Church Retreat facilities while they rebuilt the neighborhoods. Without them the town would have disappeared. Very interesting folks..as you have noticed.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
One of them came over and commented my trailer - she had a 1964 airstream that had seen better days but no major dents or damage

I did not get a pic sadly

I may just bring a couple pieces of wood for such a purpose

Old 08-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I mistakenly watched The Long Long Trailer with my husband right before our maiden voyage (to my family's house). I think that scene scarred him for life, because he insisted that 1.) I would be the only one giving directions and 2.) Nobody else was allowed outside to watch.

Glad you got hitched up okay and didn't blow a gasket at the gawkers!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I hate being spectated upon :-) - I have been known to get out of the truck and take a bow when spectators gather :-)

And while I appreciate the kindness, it irks me when people don't ASK if I want their help, they just get behind my truck when I'm backing up and start barking directions! I'm not kidding! That has happened to me at least 3 times. Huh?!?!

Glad you got through it ok. I had a few of those with my PPP too - even asked the park owner for some help - he had never seen one and it was maybe my 3rd trip. I was on a downward angle trying to back upward in to the hitch head - and you know it doesn't like that! :-) Park owner dug out ruts for my rear tires and built up ramps for my front tires so my approach was level. I wish I had known then the "secret" I posted about in the unofficial PP user guide thread...we sent him and his wife a box of fantastic goodies along with a mortified apology...he said he wants us to come back so that's a good sign :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
SteveSueMac,
I have had people do that to me when I am parallel parking my vehicle on the street. As if I can't do that myself.

I drove a huge cutlass to high schools, was always running late. I KNOW how to parallel park a big vehicle into a spot it will fit into. Thank you very much.

One time these two guys were just standing there smirking and watching. After I got out, I looked them in the eye and said --Well, which one of you won the bet? --and walked away.

Signed,
She who can park

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'll take all the suggestions I get, I just don't pay attention to them. I can mess things up by myself, I need no help to do it.! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
The P3 can be fun to hitch even when not "on the level". Even more so with a playful crowd of gawkers.

I learned on soft or uneven approach, I can toss some boards under truck tires to improve stinger angle. Mennonites may prove too squishy.

Happy hitchin!

Btw, a few years ago a group of Mennonites came and stayed in one of our Church Retreat facilities while they rebuilt the neighborhoods. Without them the town would have disappeared. Very interesting folks..as you have noticed.
Made me laugh. Thanks.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I do not think it matters, whether someone is Mennonite or Baptist or any other denomination, or even just plain Americans unrelated to any denomination, you would cause a crowd to gather. I know this as we have also had many folks gather when we hitch up. They are just curious people. We are asked about it, beeped at, waved at, thumbs up, left notes, and on and on from all kinds of people all around the country curious about the Airstreams.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Hint, hint, get a back up camera, they are great and make hitching a breeze.
chipster
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am really really going to be considering backup camera

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
Hint, hint, get a back up camera, they are great and make hitching a breeze.
chipster
Howdy, Chipster!
Just a friendly comment....

The ProPride (PP) and Hensley (HAHA) have a "stinger" about 10 in he's which is about 10 in he's in length and square. It has to be backed into the hitch on the trailer. This means aligned vertically, horizontally and rotationally. All axis.

When the tow vehicle and trailer are on same "plane" and hitch is too, it is simple. Imagine mis aligning either on any a is and there is a binding action.

This is what you want once hitched, for a nice snug fit. Not like the "skinny jean" phenomenon, more like the perfect catch.

Now imagine trying to align these parts when the TV is unable to approach properly..... It is bad.

The camera helps!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - my wife did a fine job directing but the nature of the spot created problems

I ended up hitching it by adjusting the WD jacks

I had it all the way in finally except for the final 3/4 inch and nothing could pull it rest of the way in (with those bolts for example) - and fiddled with the WD jack and tightened up the one side and it just fell right in

Usually a tightness in the WD jacks ruin the hitching and keeping them loose is the ticket but in this scenario even loose it was getting hung up cause it was way off level on 2 axisis

Ps - the Mennonite mention was with no intent to say anything broadly about those people - rather to simply be descriptive of the situation

As pointed out - this is an equal opportunity affliction

Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Hungry Mother

Gee whiz Pharmgeek, you were just a few miles down the road; I could have came by and said 'hi, welcome to Virginia'. (or not)
Hungry Mother is a great name for state park. Real nice area. Anyhoo, hope it didn't rain too much, and you and your family had a great time.
Have a good one!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ah man - I shoulda posted that I would be there

I grew up in Tazewell VA - born in Bluefield WVA - grew up going to hungry mothers about one a year - 1 hour drive over 2 mountains - curviest roads I have driven yet - bit coming from 81 I did not have to go the old mountain route

Sorry we missed ya

It rained heavy Friday evening but with awnining out and a 10x10 pop up tent with sides Velcro'd on - kids all watched movies in the trailer and we sat out and enjoyed the rain

My sister and her 8 and 11 year old daughters camped with us - totaled 7 people comfortably slept in the Airstream

I reached some sort of obotl limit so I can't post pics

Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Saturday though had family picnic and day turned out idyllic and Sunday was totally clear for drive home

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Backing has always been an adventure for me. I let spectators know that there is a price of admission. I expect cold beer to be waiting for me when I am done. Hitching up on the other hand usually goes smoothly. I am sure somewhere out there is that one spot that will give me trouble.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Although I am not familiar intimately with Mennonite beliefs - I'm not sure they are toting beer in their coolers

Backing so far I'm pretty good at

Hitching has mostly been fine with the 3P - every once in a while it gives me a test of my patience

Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We have all had tense parking and hitching problems. It is not fun. It is also not fun when someone is trying to help and is giving you false signals like honking the horn when they think you are about to hit something when really everything is fine and they are an idiot. Said horn honking prompts you to abandon a good parking attempt and keep trying dispute the idiot with the horn. This was my experience at Fort Desoto in St Pete Florida. Despite being a favorite spot for many Airstreamers, we were not real impressed. It is hard to get there and then is it just a beach like any other beach just harder to get to. I much prefer St Joe State Park. Getting hitched when the truck is at an extreme angle can be hard. The Propride might offer additional difficulties compared to a plain old ball. The foliage completely blocked my view of the trailer and it was on the right side as well. There were also poles and thing hidden in the brush. The bathrooms were pretty nasty there and looked like they have not been renovated in 30 yrs.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote