Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Medical Insurance In Canada

We are going on an Airstream Caravan where we will spend at least two weeks in Canada. My wife and I are both on Medicare and have Anthem as a supplement to Medicare. We want to make sure that we have good medical insurance while we are out of the United States. We are considering AAA and Travelers but we are open to other suggestions. Cost is important but reliability is the most important issue; we want a good insurance company. Any help that other forum members can give us will be greatly appreciated.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you're happy with AAA they can probably help you. They are up in Canada, as well, only (and perhaps obviously!) called the CAA. Then there are provincial chapters-- in British Columbia, it's called the BCAA. They provide travel health insurance. Fortunately we've not had to use either them or Travelers.

Enjoy your trip to Canada! There are some old threads around on "do's" (bring your passports) and "don'ts" (don't try to take citrus fruit purchased in Canada back to the US,) if this is your first visit for a while.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you get sick in Canada, they will take care of you, but bill you. They have universal health care (called Medicare too), but it doesn't work for visitors unlike some European countries. We have spent a lot of time in Canada, but always went naked (not literally) without travel insurance. We figured we could get back to the US if we had to, not a particularly sensible approach. I'll be interested if you find short term insurance for a trip.

It is not only citrus that US border guards take from you—any kind of fruit can be taken. If you have US bought fruit with you and you have removed the labels from them, they'll take those too. They don't care if you tell them you bought it in the US. Check the US website to see what the rules are; check frequently because they change the rules a lot.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Check Good Sam insurance to bring you and RV back home, Med-Assist to fly you back from anywhere in the world, American Express also has same type of program to add to their card. Just thoroughly evaluate any insurance for hidden (small print) exclusions and requirements for filing a claim within their time requirements. Get EVERYTHING in writing, especially if you are looking for reimbursement. Insurance companies are the biggest MONEY MAKERS in the World---------- They LOVE to say NO!!!!!!!
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I never thought about this if you only have Medicare and supplementary insurance. So I guess even if you are under a heathcare plan from your US employer maybe you need to get temporary health care insurance that is observed in Canada?

This makes trips to Canada even more expensive.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Your dollar is worth almost 25% more right now, so I don't think expense is a valid consideration.
Get out there and enjoy the holiday. The money is not going to do anything for you when you are gone!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I never thought about this if you only have Medicare and supplementary insurance. So I guess even if you are under a heathcare plan from your US employer maybe you need to get temporary health care insurance that is observed in Canada?

This makes trips to Canada even more expensive.

Kelvin
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We are going to Canada on a caravan this summer also. North by North east. Is it the same one? We have Medicare and a supplemental and the Sky-Med for medical flights home. We will not buy additional insurance. I think Medicare still pays something but a reduced rate? I was told that purchasing additional insurance might put the Medicare in jeopardy since they will argue about who is the first payer. Do not know if any of this is right but it is what we do.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Found this on Medicare's website

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

It pretty much explains their payments. Supplemental insurance might pay--check with your insurance company.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I read that Medicare material as indicating that it will pay for hardly any expenses that Americans incur in Canada. I mean, some of you may be driving through the Yukon en route to Alaska, or finding that a hospital just north of the border is a lot closer than the nearest one south of the border, but how many?

I think travel agencies and drivers' organizations like the AAA handle travelers' health insurance needs all the time. Pre-existing health conditions are often sticky but probably not a trip-stopper for most travelers.

And with the Canadian dollar currently worth around 80c US, those American greenbacks will go further. (However, be prepared for a shock on gas prices. With the liter-to-gallon conversion, expect to pay something over $4.00/gallon-- and even over $5.00/gallon in some areas. Which is why Canadians gas up in the US.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Bill, thank you for your response to my question. Small world; yes we are going to be on the same WBCCI caravan; Nor By Nor' East lead by Rich and Dottie Walbridge. I look forward to meeting you in person!

I appreciate your comment about jeopardizing our medicare coverage. I had not thought about the possible conflict between the two carriers. We have a number of Canadian friends who spend winters in the U.S. they always purchase a supplimental insurance policy when they leave Canada. I am going to do some more research before I do anything. This all started because we have a friend who became ill on a trip to Turkey. He ended up having emergency surgery. He and his wife were air lifted from a small town to Istanbul and after the operation they had to stay in Turkey for thirty days while he re-couperate before flying home. The ironic thing is that his wife bought the insurance without asking him and he was upset with her for spending the money. It was lucky for them that they had it!
Charlottesville, VA
Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess I was wrong about the Medicare paying in Canada anyway. I thought there was some coverage there. Maybe a supplemental is the way to go.
I am going to start looking for one.

Bill
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We had an issue in Vancouver two years ago. Medicare paid zip; if you're lucky enough to have Tricare, they paid about 85 percent of the bills for ER and prescriptions.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
travel health insurance

i summer in nova scotia...have a plan with ALLIANZ GLOBAL ASSISTANCE FOR $37...from july first to sept 15....it covers the basics...check it out, it may work for you..M.V
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

We too spend our summers in Lunenburg , Nova Scotia and we have Geo Blue travel insurance that covers most everything. We have used the local clinics for minor issues through the many years we have been spending summers in NS and are happy to pay the $40 they charge for a clinic visit
AZAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois and it covers it in Canada. Last year we went to Spain and it covered us in Europe too.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd rather have treatment in Canada at one of their large medical centers you find even in small cities than cross into the US where you may only find a clinic or small and not so good hospital. We have a friend in Victoria who is a doctor, but he is an anesthesiologist and can only put me to sleep. I don't know whether sleeping it off is the best treatment.

I look forward to reading the fine print on a short term policy for about 10 days on Vancouver Is.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We have Medicare Advantage plans from the Providence system here in Oregon, and they cover urgent and/ or emergency care in Canada.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Check with your credit card. My Visa offers personal travel health insurance coverage.

When we travel internationally with the kids we buy supplemental insurance. It's not all that expensive.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
OK, after a fair amount of research today I purchased a medical insurance policy from ING. The division of ING that sells international travel medical insurance is Patriot Medical Insurance. Like all insurance I hope that I will never use it but at least I feel comfortable knowing that when I leave the U. S. that I have medical insurance.
Charlottesville, VA
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Medical Insurance In Canada

Always travel with travel health insurance it's not too expensive but not having it will be devastating... Some employers have travel coverage both hubby and I have it through work but we always purchase for our kids....you can get it just for the 2 weeks you are in Canada so it won't be expensive hopefully! Enjoy visiting us In the great white north!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Englishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote