Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
McCormick Place - Chicago

Read somewhere that McCormick Place has overnight parking available. Have any of you tried it? I'm a little nervous thinking of hauling my 25' into downtown Chicago and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! j
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
I haven't personally stayed there in a trailer as I live in Chicago, but there is a few good writeups/videos on it from YouTube channels that should give you a pretty good idea.

Less Junk More Journey "Arriving in Chicago with the Airstream":

They have a few other videos on their stay in Chicago as well.

Gone with the Wynns also has a good writeup and videos: https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/dow...ago-rv-camping

I would maybe skip the Skyway if I was towing, there is some tighter spots, the road quality isn't great (that's the road Less Junk More Journey complained about in the video), and it's expensive.
chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
You could not pay me enough to spend a night in McCormick's parking lot. Remember in Chicago only the criminals are allowed to have guns. Also if you can park it they can steal it. I have had the experience of flying home via United instead of riding back in the new Ford truck I came to Chicago in.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It certainly would be an adventure.
McCormick Place is a stone's throw from Soldier field, the lakefront and the museums. Close to Chinatown too!
I'd assume McCormick place has a guarded lot, because it's also a stone's throw from the most dangerous area of Chicago.
You'd want to research it well, and maybe make a dry run without the trailer, because a missed exit might have you on Lake Shore Dr. which is narrow, curvy, and insanely fast...for cars.
I recall a couple did it and posted their review (positive) because he needed to have some medical tests done nearby.
Let me see if I can find that thread.
BTW, I love Chicago, but I had my rules, and I never went south of McCormick place.

Here's the thread I recalled:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-170765-3.html
Scroll down to post #31
When big trade shows are in Chicago they bring thousands of trucks. The yard is the "Truck marshaling yard", so I guess when it's not full of vendors, it can be used by RV'ers.
I'm not that adventurous.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wouldn’t haul and try to maneuver a trailer into downtown Chicago.

Have you ever been there, driven there or been in a taxi there?

Traffic is insane, streets are narrow and full.

But, that’s me.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
2019 30' International

2019 30' International
Bolingbrook , Illinois
The truck parking area at McCormick Place is made to get class 8 trucks in and out of. There is no problem getting an AS and TV maneuvered to and from this parking lot. There is also good security at the lots, I wouldn't hesitate to pull my AS there and stay overnight. I drive downtown Chicago on a regular basis, at least twice/week. Pull your AS into McCormick Place from the south and you'll be fine. Do not even think of pulling your AS anywhere downtown, stay off of Lake Shore Drive (no trucks allowed), and do not walk anywhere around the McCormick Place area at night. All will be fine.
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
There was a post here last year, mentioning the same thing, I had already planned on staying at a park up near the old nuke plant and I expressed many of the concerns which have been posted in this thread.

Fast forward, after further research, we stayed at McCormick almost a week, we were in town for the marathon. There were two other airstreams and a few class A motorhomes and some RPods but mostly tractor trailers being staged for transfer. Overall, for what it is, it was a great experience and served it's purpose perfectly, up early walked across to the park and then up into town, when we actually wanted to go somewhere, we tried (for our first time ever) Uber and they picked right up at the gate.

Being there for an extended period of time, and trying to save the tanks (there is no dump station) we used the Porta potties that are strategically placed around the property and they were surprisingly clean.

What used to be the South side of Chicago, with all the knowledge of Caprini-Green, is not what it used to be and has been pushed a lot further south with all of the development in the area over the last two decades. Most crimes are those of opportunity and McCormick's location is such that it just isn't really opportune and convenient, being mostly truck trailers if anything it would be roaming graffiti kids. Part of that research was going over crime maps and that little area of Moe Drive just doesn't really show up anything.

We never felt insecure at any time and slept quite well. While this spot would never make it to the top of any vacation lists, if you understand it's purpose it performs it quite well.

As far as getting in and out goes, if you plan your times it can be a complete non-issue, even in Chicago (years ago I was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway at 2am) the only time it was overly crowded going in was the last 2 miles to go at the end of the 55, I think it was early afternoon, getting out was a breeze in the morning. As an alternative, instead of the crowded tight highway approach, if you rather straight lane, not really jockeying for position stop light intersection traffic, almost all the main roads between here and the airport are major tractor trailer roads and can be used from a distance.

When all was done, the wife said that was better than she thought it would be and we can do that again if and when we return.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stand corrected.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks All

I think after watching the video and reading your comments we are going to park at Indiana Dunes and take the train in. (Discretion is the better part of Valor).
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwillson View Post
The truck parking area at McCormick Place is made to get class 8 trucks in and out of. There is no problem getting an AS and TV maneuvered to and from this parking lot. There is also good security at the lots, I wouldn't hesitate to pull my AS there and stay overnight. I drive downtown Chicago on a regular basis, at least twice/week. Pull your AS into McCormick Place from the south and you'll be fine. Do not even think of pulling your AS anywhere downtown, stay off of Lake Shore Drive (no trucks allowed), and do not walk anywhere around the McCormick Place area at night. All will be fine.
Not only trucks not allowed LSD but boats trailers etc. also.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Ditto on the train from Indiana Dunes. More fun, and there's an app!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We did it last year with no problems what so ever. Easy in easy out, felt very safe. You don't drive on downtown city streets to access. It's a couple blocks off the highway. Absolutely easy and would do it again without hesitation. We took Uber everywhere from the lot.

Mike n Lynn
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Ditto on the train from Indiana Dunes. More fun, and there's an app!

Pat
To each his own, I guess. 1hr 20min + each direction on a commuter train does not sound like fun (even with an app} that's 3 hours of travel per city trip.

I guess it just depends on whether you are going for the trailer time or the city time.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
UpYou're missing out on a really great experience. There is great security, all the time!
It's literally right on the lake and 3 minutes from down town.
I lived at lake point tower for 15 years and didn't enjoy this convenience.
Our family stays at the marshalling lot on every trip to Chicago.
We've met Jimmy buffet, Gloria estafon, Robert plant, Spyro gyra and many other airstreamers there!
Don't let the naysayers scare you off.
Alot of the danger you hear broadcasted is fearmongering!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
fearmongoring?

I worked in downtown Chicago for 40 years. I witnessed 2 shootings, 2 physical assaults, and numerous robberies not to mention daily road rage. These people are not afraid of you or the police. If you actually believe your safe there than God help you. The latest thing in down town Chicago is 6 to 20 older teens mobbing people to rob them then running away. Be Alert the entire time your there and you still can enjoy the city. Sorry to be such a downer but I have helped a number of bloodied innocent people that didn"t think it could happen to them.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
There was a post here last year, mentioning the same thing, I had already planned on staying at a park up near the old nuke plant and I expressed many of the concerns which have been posted in this thread.

Fast forward, after further research, we stayed at McCormick almost a week, we were in town for the marathon. There were two other airstreams and a few class A motorhomes and some RPods but mostly tractor trailers being staged for transfer. Overall, for what it is, it was a great experience and served it's purpose perfectly, up early walked across to the park and then up into town, when we actually wanted to go somewhere, we tried (for our first time ever) Uber and they picked right up at the gate.

Being there for an extended period of time, and trying to save the tanks (there is no dump station) we used the Porta potties that are strategically placed around the property and they were surprisingly clean.

What used to be the South side of Chicago, with all the knowledge of Caprini-Green, is not what it used to be and has been pushed a lot further south with all of the development in the area over the last two decades. Most crimes are those of opportunity and McCormick's location is such that it just isn't really opportune and convenient, being mostly truck trailers if anything it would be roaming graffiti kids. Part of that research was going over crime maps and that little area of Moe Drive just doesn't really show up anything.

We never felt insecure at any time and slept quite well. While this spot would never make it to the top of any vacation lists, if you understand it's purpose it performs it quite well.

As far as getting in and out goes, if you plan your times it can be a complete non-issue, even in Chicago (years ago I was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway at 2am) the only time it was overly crowded going in was the last 2 miles to go at the end of the 55, I think it was early afternoon, getting out was a breeze in the morning. As an alternative, instead of the crowded tight highway approach, if you rather straight lane, not really jockeying for position stop light intersection traffic, almost all the main roads between here and the airport are major tractor trailer roads and can be used from a distance.

When all was done, the wife said that was better than she thought it would be and we can do that again if and when we return.
I am a Chicago boy. The downtown tourist areas the lakefront and the close in loop areas are heavily policed. Could you get mugged in these areas? Perhaps but unlikely. We enjoy walking the Lakefront and Michigan avenue late at night when the tourist are in bed. In 60 years I never been mugged. The nasty areas are south south west from the loop.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's some information.
The second is a map of violent crime, the first from Google Earth.
Someone other would have street information. I'd get off before I-55 turns into Lake Shore drive, right there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck yard.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	311033   Click image for larger version

Name:	chicago_density-2.png
Views:	447
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	311034  

Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I lived at lake point tower for 15 years
Lake Point Tower is one of my dream locations if I won the lottery. My wife babysat a couple there while she was in Law School, and they picked her up in a stretch limo. Views to die for.
However, I was there in the summer, I've also felt the wind blow in off the lake in December!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_lakepoint-tower-aerialJL.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	311036  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I started a thread on this subject last year before we went. I'd visited downtown Chicago many times but was always staying in hotels. I was a bit apprehensive about taking the rig up to the marshaling lot but after researching it, I was encouraged by all the positive comments by other RVers. (Not just Airstreamers) I haven't found one negative comment on the internet from anyone who ACTUALLY did it. Lots of bad and fearful comments from others who would never dream of doing it. I get it, but we had a very positive experience and it appears that others who tried it experienced the same. Obviously any time you are in the big city there is a certain amount of risk. Uber will pick you up right there at the lot and take you anywhere. We needed to go up north to Northwesterm Memorial for a doctors appt. Hope you're safe and happy if you go!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
I live in Chicago and own a Airstream and I would NOT stay at McCormick place. Indiana dunes is s excellent campground I highly recommend it, we camp there at least 4 times a year. Another option is the Cook County forest preserve district. They recently built several campgrounds in the Chicago suburbs one is near us and it’s very nice. Google cook county forest preserve for there website.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote