Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Maryland, NC, SC & VA Campground Recommendations?

Hi All,

We are planning on heading to the east coast the first two weeks of July and were wondering if anyone has any recommendations for campgrounds from the Washington D.C. area down the coast to South Carolina? Planning on hitting the Outer Banks etc. Just starting to plan now, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jabba
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Jabba

You should give a bit more information as to what you want. campgrounds with full hookups, state parks, in close to town, or out in the rural areas.

Unfortunately that time of year you are going to have to consider making reservations for anything all the coast, and it may be too late for the better locations such as Tom's cove and the outerbanks.

Don't tarry

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
jabba
we have been camping for years on the outer banks, great place.
best place to stay is halfway down on hwy 12 at camp hatteras, that
is at rodanthe. hundreds of sites and also a koa next door with loads of sites. camp hatteras phone 252- 987- 2777
why i say best to stay halfway is, not far both ways to everything.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Charleston

We like Oak Plantation if you want good facilities, hook up etc. WE always want to camp at St james Island county park but it is hard to get in and the few times they had openings they wanted us to move every day to a new site. On a more primative side edisto island is amazing but is a tight squueze for over 25 feet of trailer in places.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I lived in northern Virginia for twenty years and never was able to see all there is. It's an amazing area. A few years ago, my wife and I made your trip in reverse. We were in Florida and started north along the coast to eventually visit my sister-in-law in Maryland. You didn't say where you are starting from. That would help.
That time of year you will surely need reservations where you can get them. We spent several days in the campground at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Its a great place and you can make day trips into DC from there. Don't miss Shenandoah Notional Park either. Another good place used to be, (Haven't been there in years) the Assateague Island National Seashore. The Park Service had a campground just south of Ocean City, Maryland that was right on the beach and was great! Not sure if its stlll there though. Lots of campgrounds in the Norfolk area. On the Outer Banks you have two choices. The North end of the islands are pretty well developed. The further south you go, the less clutter. There are campgrounds down around the Buxton area that aren't bad. Be sure to see Ocracoke Island. (Blackbeards home).

Wish I was going too. I miss it. I really miss the local foods too.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you go to Edisto hold out for a site at the beack campground not Live Oaks and go to dinner at the Old Fire house in Hollywood. 70% of the sites will fit you trailer as i take my 34 there several times a year.

Be prepared to take a blood oath that you will not tell anyone about Edisto.

The attachment is a picture I took in Feb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree 2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	35471  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
We'll be starting from the North (Michigan) and heading south. We are trying to figure out if we want to cut down the Maryland peninsula (catching Assateague) and across the Big Bridge or not. What's traffic like over there?

Basically starting to narrow it down to Jamestown/ Williamsburg area, then Norfolk/Virginia Beach, then down to the Outer Banks, finding quite a bit of things to see which is making it tough. As far as facilities go, electric on up to full hookups are fine, a night or two of boondocking could work too. Thank You for the info so far!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
inland options

I live in the Northern Va area and to echo Cooperhawk's thoughts, there is so much to do and see here its kinda hard to narrow things down. If you find campgrounds on the coast to be unavailable during your July timeframe, I would suggest heading inland a bit.

I quite agree that the Shenandoah Valley is a must see - a trip on the Blue Ridge parkway is very scenic. Also, a trip to Charlottesville (lots of vineyards) is truly unforgettable - particularly a tour of the University of Va campus. Jeffersonian architecture and breathtaking beauty! The KOA in Charlottesville is a popular campground in this area.

Good luck in your travels!

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Have a great trip!

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We went to the Outer Banks and camped at Ocracoke island it was a great experience. It was like going back in time seeing the piping plovers running and all the unspoiled, undeveloped beauty.
It is boondocking. Very nice beach just over the dunes behind the campground. Be sure to get all your supplies before Nags Head or you will pay a premium for it the further along you go. Also do your laundry first, no laundromats on the island.
Traffic wise, its a trial getting through Hatteras etc. with all the stop and go traffic, but Ocracoke is a breath of fresh air, a lovely island with a village that has good restaurants. Blackbeard stayed there too, so there's lots of pirate themed stuff and the ferries from Hatteras are free, they are used to rv traffic, we got two lanes for our 28' trailer. Photo link.
You can avoid driving back through Hatteras by taking the ferry to the mainland from Ocracoke its a bit longer and you pay but then you are on your way south.
Also, if you are up to some boondocking with pay hot showers, restaurants, etc. Shenandoah National Park has some unforgettable sights. We stayed at Big Meadows campground, take quarters for the showers, and they have a laundromat too.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I absolutely love Big Meadows. My family and I picked wild strawberries up there some years back and were suddenly visited by a family of black bears doing the same. We retreated.

The Federal campground south of Ocean City, Maryland used to be first come, first served. Don't know if it still is. They had a large parking lot where you could stay til a spot came open.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Huntington Beach State Park, SC

Just remembered a great place we camped due to a forum recommendation,
Huntington Beach State Park you can reserve spots online and they have full hook ups (we loved it!). Very nice sites, close enough to attractions but quiet and very well run. Kayaking programs, tour the castle on the grounds, its fun.
Its great because you get the lovely grand strand beach without the congestion of Myrtle. But yet you are near enough to Myrtle to hit the tourist spots. Its across the road from Brookgreen gardens too.