Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
MAPS: How many are enough?

Tent Camping 101 to Airstream: This was a part of a post to that Thread... but needs a home of its own.

I have so many maps, that I get lost... trying to find them.

I have United States Geological Survey Maps from the 1870's to 1960's. When you want to find the right rocks... you need the map. Rocks do not move. County lines do move, when errors were made.

I have AAA State Maps. When one gets worn out, Nancy orders more. Many come in combinations of one State on one side and a neighboring State on the other. I like it that whoever is riding 'shot gun' can unfold, find a pair of glasses to see the map details... and know where we are... on the Map. Which is always not close enough to where we want to be.

When a large scale map is too large... small scale Atlas Maps have roads that may have existed at one time, but no longer use the same Number or overgrown with brush and trees.

I have Quadrangles. I have Section Maps. I have maps of Mars, the Moon and the Arctic... although not planning on towing the Airstream to these places.

I have Central Region States. I have Rocky Mountain Regional State.. maps.

I have maps for the Oklahoma Land Rush BEFORE the Sooners snuck into the area and stacked claims.

I have Mexico / USA boundary survey maps. A book with each monument for the border. I have the 40th Parallel maps of Canada and the USA. I have the Railroad maps. Maps of the Western Frontier and Forts. Maps with roads into Santa Fe before the roads were paved.

I don't make much use of any maps. Nowhere and only compass directions to... nowhere north of Moab, Utah. A Snow Drift covering the road in July in Utah. Maps do not show there is a Muddy Road Ahead in Wyoming.

... and you know you thought Nevada was dry... Mina, Nevada... he should have owned an Airstream. How he floated into town... is a mystery. You check it out.

What is your story? Or are you lost and given up... all hope?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3566.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	407032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5325.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	407033  

Name:	DSCN5407.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	407034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5155.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	407035  

Old 10-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You really need to move on. There are map apps. You only need one (that's what each of the ads says and you can *always* believe the marketing folks). Each one is absolutely perfect for anything you would ever want to do. Lunar exploration, sure they have that covered ....

The net result is that I seem to have piles and piles of map apps. There are a bunch of them on the computer. There's a pile of them on the phone. The tablet has it's own empire. So far I have not found *any* of them that actually do an adequate job of even very simple tasks.

Back in the day, the various agencies updated topo maps maybe once a decade. Heading down to the store to see what was new once a year was "good enough" to keep up. Yes aviation and boating charts got done differently. I never found them much use for hiking.

Your magic map app lets you download updates right now. Just what the source of all of them is .... a bit of a mystery. If all of a sudden the feds are doing updates to all the maps monthly, that news hasn't made it to PA yet. Still there seems to be a pile of updates.

With paper maps, as they accumulated, there was pretty direct feedback. If you can no longer get in the car because it's stuffed full of maps ... that's to many maps. With a bunch of map apps, you have terabyte disks don't you? It takes a *long* time to fill the car with disk drives. Need every quad for everything in the state of Alaska? click click click .... your download will be finished in three days.

Paper or app, just what will you do with these maps? Knowing what this or that bend in the Yukon river looks like is nice to know. If it's 500 miles from the nearest road of any sort, that's a long walk from your RV. Yes, it's fun to have the map for 1930 to look at and ponder how things have changed. How many fun maps????

Any paper map that actually gets used gets folded and carried around. It also gets used in the vicinity of dirty hands and food / drink. Just how much beer can the map "accept" before it no longer is worth carrying? Yes, it's got all those notes on it. Are any of them legible anymore? Do you remember what they mean? How many layers of tape are to many?

At some point maps become a historical document. When they do, that changes things. It certainly does not apply to any map I own, but those maps are out there. I would suggest that as you clean out this or that attic, some of what you might find *could* be significant. Don't just blindly toss stuff out. That said, 99.9% of what's up there ..... only keep if it's part of the family lore.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Garmin GPS Forerunner (205/305) 2006 purchase

What is a Cell Phone? I do not carry a Cell Phone. No cell service where we go.

What is a Computer? The laptop computer stays in the trailer or tow vehicle.

My best hand made map: Thalweg did a map of the western 2016 Wyoming Adventure. That was in 2016, a long time ago if you are five years old. The most complicated roads were because of the numerous Cutoffs (short cuts) used during the Oregon Trail of western Wyoming. Great job Brent.

Today, I have a map on a screen to follow in our tow vehicle. The Ford blinks where we are at. At one place it was blinking and we were in the LAKE... but the lake was not there. Hmmm. Sometimes things do not work out all of the time.

Wading in a Dry Lake Bed with an inner tube?

The best GPS item we possess fits onto a wrist. Garmin Forerunner 205/305 GPS-enabled trainer for runners. When in remote locations and exploring... we set the location of the trailer before we hike.

When we want to know where the Trailer is parked after walking miles in Canyons and Mesas... the distance and direction is given. Elevation. Coordinates. Found some interesting rocks or minerals... click and the location had a number and location.

This is a 2006 purchase. It is VERY Valuable tool for US and possibly a newer model for YOU. You wear it as a watch. We have never been lost in the roughest topography with this tool.

We took a short stroll to explore an area in the Gila / Apache National Forest of New Mexico in 2006. The canyons do not run N, S, E or West. The canyons meander. We meandered and then... where are we? The general direction back to camp was West. My Brunton Compass worked. We hiked west until we came upon the NFS road. Are we Southerly or Northerly to camp?

We agreed we needed to go Southerly. About a mile and a half we walked into camp. I had two five gallon buckets of unusual agates from a volcanic flow 30,000,000 years ago. Hid them behind a tree... so we could come back for them when we found camp and truck. Found the truck. Found the tree. Found the two buckets.

I call that success... and plenty of good exercise in judgment.

When we returned home, the first stop was to buy this Garmin Forerunner GPS watch.

I also use my Brunton Compass. It told me which direction I could go... not where I came from or was going to. I could measure the dip of a rock exposure. I knew the direction of the outcrop. I had no idea where the tent or trailer was located.

Sometimes Nancy tells me where to Go. Naaaw... too hot. But a good suggestion.

My paper maps for Geological exploring, I prefer. Sure modern Map Apps are nice... but not for us. I can pull out a USGS Bulletin on Gold Placers... flip to the page with the map, read the text about the location in three seconds, mark the spot with a book marker.

Someone with the High Tech is still trying to spell out Gold Placers and Fairplay, Colorado and USA and elevation and... zzzzzz. I am there and panning.

If you get lost... go back to ZERO, where you began

You can take the Modern out of a Human Bean, but IF everything else fails, a Neanderthal and his awkward maps work every time.

It is Easier to get Lost in a City, than in the entire State of Wyoming....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	407038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4051.jpg
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	407039  

Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The best map you have is between your ears. When you get someplace, look around. Look for stuff up on the horizon ( yes Dorthy this is more difficult in central Kansas ....it still works). As you wander around the immediate area, keep looking around. Remember what this or that feature looks like at this or that time of day. Work out where you are relative to what you can see in the distance.

No, this process is not unique to the back side of nowhere. It's also pretty handy in a city where all the signs are in a script you can't even guess at. Over the years, I've been amazed by the number of quite capable folks who really don't understand how to do this. It is possible that beer impacts this function ...

Down in the bottom of a canyon or deep in the forest, no this isn't going to be much help. Most canyons are a this way or that way affair. Which way did you come in from? Upstream or downstream ( with traffic or against traffic ....). If you are in the deep woods, work on some other skills.

Bob
Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The best map you have is between your ears.
Yup, plus the sun.

Once you have a general idea of where you are, knowing the major geographical entities in the region (river, mountain(s), etc.), and if you can figure out where the sun is, you shouldn't get lost, but you may make few "discoveries" and be surprised along the way, and may need to backtrack. Mind you driving a 45-50' rig does mean you need to be more selective and even scout things out first (we have bikes that we can use for that).

I haven't yet tried them, but drones could be useful in that regard; anyone have experience with them? (they are not very Neanderthal though...)
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Well we also carry road maps of individual states and provinces just to be able to through them on the hood of the truck if we get lost but mostly do our planning using the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. When on the road we have a GPS map system in the truck (most come standard these days). We also use in BC (since that's were we camp) the Back Country Road Atlas. AND yes we have the Canadian Geographic topographical map on our phone which we can download sections thus not requiring cell service which is lousy in Canada outside of metropolitan areas
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Get to the EDGE and Explore...

We only use our Maps when we get next to the Frontier... and then set up camp.

Hiking into the area is the beginning of exploring and finding those camping spots only the local Hunting Guides set up camps.

Roads start out wide. They begin to narrow. Then the single lane to 1 1/2 lane... and then Two Ruts.

It takes ONE Camping Trip to explore and get the feel of 'sniffing out' where you are on the map and where the roads looks great.. on paper... but may not when you are at the edge of a steep drop into a Canyon.

If you want to really learn and plan to be in Wyoming. Find the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. From Laramie, Wyoming to DuBois, to Lander to Pinedale... A good ten days more or less to explore.

It is a learning process knowing when to stop... and hike out the road ahead. If you can get to one camping site... the next is exploring.

A 16 foot Bambi has its limitations as does a 25, 27/28 foot. Get to 30 foot Airstream and you are limited. A 34 foot... RV Parks.

We have a 27/28 with a 3 inch lift and 16 inch Michelins. You will SEE the limitations.... once you have to back out a quarter mile.

If you can find your way around a RV Park and not hit a tree... or picnic table... you are a candidate. If you sweat a lot. Roll the windows down... it becomes second nature to explore and judge the road at a glance. Even how to navigate straddling a two rut and use the center for one side of the trailer.

You are more likely to hit something at a RV Park. Really....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0215.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	407084  
Old 10-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Bridger-Teton National Forest (maps) Wyoming

As an example of what we use as maps. We like paper maps. We can mark on them where we camped X, and write a comment Bad Road.

Nancy follows the map. I follow the road. When we are uncertain, we check out the map together. Each NFS map roads may be better than expected... or worse. Look at the DATE of the Map published. Get the latest. Road numbers... change... so keep track and remember that. Old roads combine and sometimes have one, the other or BOTH numbers scattered about. Yep... we know.

The BETTER the Road... the more travelers. If you SEE a 35 foot SOB coming out... and you are towing a 25 foot Safari... YOU can do it! If only ATV's... flag them down and ask. They know the route better than you.

These maps can be large and measured in FEET and printed on both sides.

A road may start as paved. Then improved. Then seasonal. Then a two rut. Then a trail. Then become... DEAD END with a large open area on a MESA overlooking the valley for miles. Ahhh... Wonderful Wyoming to you! You earned it.

These maps show Private Property, Bureau of Land Management, Indian Lands, National Forest access.

Some Private Property may exist in the National Forest. Usually an old cabin and barb wire with No Trespassing Signs. Often along a stream. They will come and visit with you, sooner than you think. They will not be.... happy about you and the campfire on their property. They look at your LICENSE PLATE first... yep... they will.

They may show established campgrounds. Roads show the level of access. There may be a list of Campgrounds, how many sites and facilities offered.

Roads may be closed at different times of the Year. Some are All Season.

If you plan to Explore and it is within a National Forest or Bureau of Land Management or National Grasslands.... they can be purchased at a local office, or on the Internet.

Having GPS coordinates when camped and marked on a map is a great reference. If you HAVE GPS coordinates, you can locate the site and the possible routes to get to it.

With a MAP... you now have the entire area at your finger tips. It may take a week to explore where you wanted to go, where you ended up and may return every Year or never again.

These maps are made of a high quality materials. Some are heavy paper stock. They may have contours of elevation. They may note interesting places to see and visit. Rivers for fishing. Streams and creeks.

YOU have the Map. If you are uncertain about towing a trailer into the area... find an easy place to set up camp... and then with the tow vehicle... go further into the area. If an area shows good access... expect once you are towing... you will notice you may need to watch for low hanging tree limbs, brush and irregular surface areas you did not notice... in the tow vehicle.

Bring a shovel. Bring long handled Trimmers for brush or branches to cut back. Avoid driving over brush... Your Brakes Depend on THIN WIRES. You will learn.

The area I scanned has a Horse Trail Camping Area at the end. Wonderful views of the glacial lakes below your driving to the END. The road ends, lots of horse back riders and a NFS Restroom. You like the smell of Horse... well, you will.

You will never regret it after the first two adventures. Ahhhhhh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpg
Size:	643.4 KB
ID:	407086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Size:	636.0 KB
ID:	407087  

Name:	Scan 2.jpg
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	407088  
Old 10-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
The previous Post. Pinedale, Wyoming is to the SW of Fremont Lake. Did not get that onto the scan. Poor eyesight.

The NFS Office is in town or use to be.

The Rainbow Family camped hundreds if not a thousand members half way bewteen there and the end of the road. Several large open areas in the trees. It may have been the spill over from the Boulder, Wyoming Rainbow Family... not Colorado, but easily confused as they are spelled the same... but look entirely different when you get to either.

Colorado is spelled differently than Wyoming... but Rainbows look alike to some.

We met a woman in a tent at that spot in Wyoming north of Fremont Lake. She had a tent set up. Good sized tent. She was alone and the Rainbow Family moved on to the next Rainbow, somewhere. She had no transportation. No horse. Nothing but two legs.

We asked how she got there... a Rainbow member. He was going to come back and pick her up. That was a week ago... I thought to myself. Hmmmm.

Maybe there is no Pot of Gold at the end of her Rainbow. Maybe a middle aged woman in a tent, but an optimistic person.

See... interesting things happen when you explore. Sometimes a bit difficult to understand when meeting people in the forest.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I have a map of Beijing in my trailer but i don't plan on towint over there. actually i seem to have maps to a lot of places i won't be seeing again. today i am in the desert again after five months in the mountains. realizing how blessed i am.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Yup, plus the sun.

Once you have a general idea of where you are, knowing the major geographical entities in the region (river, mountain(s), etc.), and if you can figure out where the sun is, you shouldn't get lost, but you may make few "discoveries" and be surprised along the way, and may need to backtrack. Mind you driving a 45-50' rig does mean you need to be more selective and even scout things out first (we have bikes that we can use for that).

I haven't yet tried them, but drones could be useful in that regard; anyone have experience with them? (they are not very Neanderthal though...)
Hi

Sun works in the parts of the world where it's not cloudy all the time It also helps if you have a rough idea of what time it is ...

Drones have a lot of legal snarls around them. Out in the middle of nowhere, they should be pretty useful. As you get closer to civilization .... yikes .... They tend to link into phones, unless you spend more than a bit on this and that. How well that work out with no cell coverage .... no idea.

Bob
Old 10-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Lewis and Clark had no Maps: You are a Human Bean, too?

The ONLY reason we like to have maps:

Getting INTO an area, is easy. We do it all of the time. Butt....:

We can get lost trying to GET OUT of a remote location... Often one road driving in and five roads to chose to get OUT. Just missed the other four... dodging livestock, ruts and timber across the road and the only sign... "Keep Out: Survivors will be SHOT", will get your attention.

Wyoming has tough rules once out of town.

We drove into an area in Montana when we had a Tent. I had the Compass that rotates in the sphere with alcohol, or some clear liquid that did not freeze. July can go either way in the mountains. Hot or Frost at the same time.

This was a Mining Area in Montana. The uncivilized part in the West. Where Men are men and Women and meaner... Yep.

The Compass... was rotating / spinning all directions. You have Four... here, maybe 6 directions to follow, including Up and Down. I was sitting still. We had UP the mountain. We had DOWN the mountain. But no signs to follow and the Sun was not much help, as well.

Obviously with one road in and one road out... it could have been a difficult decision to make for some from the Big City. No stop lights to count.

We were City Bumpkins, no Map, no Experience traveling in this area... and figured out if you turn around... you could get out. Wow... a major breakthrough. Outside the Big City kind of souls.

I do not recall if we survived, or not. Things get fuzzy... when Aliens are in Mining Area 51. Also... what happened to my clothes?
Old 10-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Lewis and Clark (and a lot of the other early adventurers) didn't get maps from AAA. They also spent a lot of time lost / wondering just how to get going. Their answer was to camp out for a while / calm down and talk to the locals. Hmmmm ..... interesting idea .....

Bob
Old 10-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX
Motor vehicle use maps - definitely NOT paper!

Ray,

I see now the FS has an app that allows you to pull down interactive maps called motor vehicle use maps for each area in Bridger-Teton. They say that even when in off-line mode they will track you as you move through the area on the map that's been downloaded to your device. They also say you can mark waypoints, etc., and make your own comments on the map for future use.

How in the world do these work if you're not connected to anything?

Greg
Baron 8TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I use the RV Life Pro app (with onboard GPS) and Delorme Gazetteers. it's a good and reliable combo with redundancy built in.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Already good suggestions coming being posted.

DeLorme Gazetteers we carry all of the States we plan to visit and explore. They are good enough to get you there and out. For the price, worth it. Some show Public Land, Private and Indian Reservations... Some are in color, so you know where you can pull off and be on 'public land'...maybe.

They use satellite data. Sometimes they have an irrigation ditch as a jeep trail... sometimes wrong NFS and BLM road numbers. But use your imagination and it all... works.

Each State for De Lorme can be different in style. Obviously not consistent... but very useful. Newer printings use GPS grids... which is handy. The old degree system... on old maps are obsolete for some. We operate with GPS and Range, Township and holes in the road.

Paper: I have a different purpose. I use my maps for exploring rock outcrops, geological structure and possible mineral localities. I unfold a 4 foot x 3 foot geological map... I can see what I am standing upon and look 25 miles NW for another outcrop, and 35 miles on the backside for the boundary of BLM and an Indian Reservation. I can do this... 8 seconds.

If you are on a bicycle... digital for sure.

Convenience for me is not critical. I need contours, NFS, BLM, State Section boundaries where I am and where I can go...

I pulled out a 1903 map of Southern Nevada and SW California. Las Vegas... was shown as Las Vegas Post Office... no town. It had the mining towns, roads, railroads and springs.
This map I would not toss into the box as it is rather... rare. None for sale anywhere I am aware, but very unusual and by the United States Geological Survey. All done on wagons and burros... Yep. ...and Airstream owners still can find things to complain about.

Looking for a short cut to one town to the next. Great. Anything will do.

Like Baron... he has it figured out and it works. Thalweg is the expert with the High Tech maps at his fingertips... in Wyoming.

Me... my map use would need a screen bigger than my Airstream table... X 2 or more.

Most travelers do not need much in the way of maps. Just information if the RV Park has a vacancy and if it is long enough for tow vehicle and trailer. As easy as it can get.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Ray - don't apologize for using paper maps; nothing beats the perspective they provide. The people who rely on map apps and GPSes are smug in their cluelessness. I'm not going to explain why that is, but I do know that someday they will know why I said it. Back on topic: Have you ever used a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer? Each U.S. state has one. They are detailed topographic maps with recreation sites, campgrounds and fishing. Each state is divided into grids. The Arizona one I'm using right now is divided into 68 blocks. Flip it over to the back (the atlases are 11" x 16") and you can quickly figure out which piece of the grid you want to drill down on. You can even tear out every page and tape it together into a huge map on a wall. Now that is what I call perspective.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Gosh. I haven't been on this here forum for a long time. The world is just too depressing to even think about getting oot and aboot as our northern friends might say. But here I get on and Ray is talking about maps. Maps are always fun to talk about.

Ray and I agree on one thing in regards to maps. Can't beat paper. Batteries never die on paper. Drop a paper map in the crik, just lay it out on a rock for a few hours and it'll dry right out. Drop your I-phone in the crik, you've got to stick it in your freeze dried rice pilaf for three days, and it still won't work.

Now, I'm not as much of a Neanderthal as Ray. I do like my electronic versions as my primary maps. Mostly on Avenza. Virtually every map I have on paper, I have electronically. I tend to over-plan my trips and have fun making my own maps. I put these maps on Avenza. There is a crazy amount of geospatial data available anymore, so you can make amazing maps (we just got centimeter level lidar data the other day, this is going to be fun (think topo maps to the inch)).

Maps are great. They allow me to daydream. Take my mind off of the depressing state of the world. Study a map of an area I might be visiting one day...what adventure might this road lead to?...suppose I could drag the Airstream up that pass????
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote