Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Unfortunately there is never a shortage of idiots willing to take some real chances. Still waiting for our A.S. but experienced this enough towing our other toys.
Saluda372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Dayton , Tennessee
I think some of you miss the point; I know how to merge with traffic on the ramp, but this
driver was not interested in merging. He wanted to destroy a 'toaster' as AS's are named.
All this happened over less than ten seconds, and I was able to avoid a crash. Have you ever
noticed the 4" spiked lug nuts on the front wheels of some semi's ? Have you seen how those spikes are used? I saw a sedan on the side of the road in Ca that was ground-up from bumper
to bumper, along with flat tires. Some semi drivers are just mean SOB's. Semper preparatus.
sbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Give way to the truck. They are bigger than you. Costs you nothing.

Note that when a big rig turns on his signal, he is signaling intent - not asking permission.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I remember a comic explaining that everyone going slower then you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.
"Come on, that idiot needs to get off the road!" <zoom> "Did you see that maniac? Where's the cops?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
They are bigger...give them the lead. We have I-80 that runs through the entire state of WY. 85% of the traffic on I-80 are semi's with 1-2 trailers, the rest is us and passenger vehicles. It has always been a practice to follow the "in order to get respect, you need to give respect". If that doesn't work, then get their plate # and let the professionals do their work.

Most truck drivers are good people, just like most passenger vehicles/r.v's/etc. are good people. There are those assholes in the bunch that make it bad for all...

I doubt that truckers are out to do harm to our "toasters". I get more flashing of headlights and waves as we pass truckers in our state.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
anthem , Arizona
Big Rig

Last year I was in Colorado and driving in the right lane pulling my 28' Flying Cloud, going up a steep incline. As I was merging at the end of the slow lane into the single lane again I noticed a semi that was only feet away from my left quater panel. He wasn't there when I began to merge and he wasnt gong to let me back in the lane. I ended up having to ride in the gravel shoulder for a while. He sped up when the two lanes became one again. He did this intentionally. Most truck drivers are very courtious but once in a while you get a crazy one.
RuffRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
When you flash your lights to a semi, you are signaling that you see him(her) and the trailer is clear, and it’s ok to merge, in front of you! Some drivers will flash there running lights, to thank you.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Another sailing rule - the boat with the most kinetic energy (momentum) has the right of way....
In my motorcycling youth I once made a rude gesture to the driver of a large pickup that seemingly intentionally cut me off. The driver leaned out the window and calmly said, “You’re on a 200 pound bike and I’m driving a five thousand pound truck. You’re going to lose!” Ever since that day I’ve yielded to larger vehicles regardless of what I perceive my rights on the road to be.

A semi wins every time. So do trains.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Yea! What he said!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Years ago, the transport truck drivers were some of the most "professional" drivers on the road. Now we have drivers too busy texting, talking on the phone, or just learning to drive, behind the wheel of these trucks. The days of the "professional" driver is over. Some in our country, have a hard time to even speak our language, so I often wonder if thdy can even read road signs. JMHO
Having been a driver myself for the most part since ‘78 this quote says it all!!! Back in the day you never had to be concerned with a big truck doing something stupid! Just had to watch the four wheelers! Nowadays it is everything on the highway, AND, other big trucks. Especially the “door swingers”, as in van or refrigerated trailers. Flatbeds, tankers and other specialized equipment require experience where as the bigger carrier “door swingers” hire with no experience.....at all!!! On a day after a good snowstorm, all the trucks you will see still in the ditch have one thing in common.....a pair of “swingin’ doors”!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #30
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Old School passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
When you flash your lights to a semi, you are signaling that you see him(her) and the trailer is clear, and it’s ok to merge, in front of you! Some drivers will flash there running lights, to thank you.
This used to be the norm back in the day. Flash lights for "ok" and for "thanks!" Another old school lesson I learned is that in a passenger vehicle when passing a semi, it is safe to move over when you see the entire front of the rig in your rear view mirror. Towing my airstream I triple that distance.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I don’t know if this is right. But when there are at least three lanes of road, I’m in the center lane just because of what you experienced. I do not like driving in the far right lane due to folks getting off want to get in front of the trailer and the folks coming on to the highway want to get in front of the trailer. Always drive like all other drivers are just learning with a operator permit. Happy Trails to You until we meet again.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Garfield Hts. , Ohio
Vehicles already on the Freeway have the right of way---Vehicles/driver getting on have to "Yield" tight of way to those Vehicles/drivers...
I drive 5 ,MPH over posted speed limit or for existing conditions my rule of thumb is this if vehicle is in front of me at the "Yield"/end of entrance ramp I slow down a little to let them merge on to freeway if I can not change to a left lane...
Usually if I am in the right lane it is got a reason I am planning to get off soon or traffic is moving in excess of 5 MPH over the posted speed limit...
My father the "worlds greatest driver in his own mind" would speed up on Vehicles that were in front of the yield sign and even got a ticket once from a State Trooper and into a heated discussion about his actions!!!
His actions taught me how not to drive!!!
HunterWVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
My oldest son owning semis 12 yrs. [owner operator], and now co. driver for Keystone that is contract hauler for Macy's. The co. does not put up with rude or bad drivers. I will always give semis right of way even if means slowing so they can pass traffic ahead of them. Bottom line they are working to make a living and with the new idiotic hrs. of serv. laws it makes it harder to do so and run legal. I'm retired at home every nite. I no what they go thru with hrs. of serv. laws as RR conductor for 40 yrs. 99% of items are del. by truck. IMO a vast majority of 4 whl. drivers are ====== and always in a rush and left lane hoggers espc. In Illinois in spite of laws against it, also cell phone users. I could say much more but give truckers a break as stated they are earning a living. Truckers using cell phone while driving means loss of CDL license, and have to be alert at all times.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
My issue, whether towing or not, are the speed freeks weaving lanes, not caring which lane they can get by us so long as they can. Have narrowly avoided accidents many times. I have driven in Germany where that’s illegal. Makes sense!
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I haven’t had particular issues with semi’s but one thing I noticed, particularly in the Asheville, NC area: a lot of people just don’t know how to use the ramp to merge. I’m talking about Ma and Pa in their family sedan. When interstate traffic is a little heavy, it’s not always easy moving over, especially when traffic in that lane is moving faster than your truck/AS combo.

I find myself cheering for these people wanting to merge: “c’mon, accelerate and get in front of me before you run out of ramp”. It’s amazing how many people wait til they’re almost out of ramp before they look left to evaluate the traffic. I’ll slow down for ‘em but it’s hard to read their minds.

Again, in and near Asheville. Go figure.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’ve had a few bad experiences with truckers. Several years ago I was unable to exit a rest area in Eastern Washington due to an improperly parked semi. The driver refused to move until a State Trooper asked him to move.

A few years ago we were driving thru Salt Lake City in the middle of the night in the middle lane on I-15. It was raining hard and traffic was light. Suddenly I observed a semi closing in from behind at a higher rate of speed in the left lane and a large Class C tow truck in the right lane (we were going the speed limit) and they passed us simultaneously and sprayed a lot of water on our truck, temporarily blinding us. (My bride was startled but I saw it coming.)

Neither of these acts was some kind of misunderstanding, it was truck drivers being jerks.

We have also observed drug purchases made by truck drivers in rest areas.

To be fair, we’ve seen very professional truck drivers too. I realize they’re driving for a living so I try to stay out of the way but I’ve paid my share of taxes over the years and I have the right to be on the road too.

sbacon is right, some truck drivers are nothing more than bullies who would think nothing running you off the road without a second thought.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
My drivers ed teacher in high school explained that when it came to buses and cars, buses had "the right of weight." The same goes for semis and anything smaller (including me and my rig).
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
It’s called the “lugnut rule”.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:33 AM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
My drivers ed teacher in high school explained that when it came to buses and cars, buses had "the right of weight." The same goes for semis and anything smaller (including me and my rig).
Here, that rule is called "The Law of Gross Tonnage".
Old 10-31-2020, 06:02 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We should all heed the good advice in this thread. As to maniac drivers we should all look in the mirror every now and then to make sure we are not one. And one more point. We often talk about the truck drivers let’s not forget about RV drivers driving down the road swerving in out at high speed to get to their destination
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote