Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I always move over to allow cars to merge from an on ramp. My pet peeve is when the merging car then drives alongside me for five miles, as if I'm invisible. Merge and get out of the way.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
... We often talk about the truck drivers let’s not forget about RV drivers driving down the road swerving in out at high speed to get to their destination

More commonly encountered is the RVer impeding traffic. In WA, a delay of five vehicles or more (on a two lane highway) requires you to pull over and let them pass when it’s safe to do so (providing you’re under the speed limit). There are a lot of turnouts there for this purpose.

Driving the speed limit helps and there is no reason to wait for a delay of five cars before you let them pass. (Better to let them pass than to witness a head-on crash.)

The other thing I do, if traveling on the freeway at night is flash my lights on & off to let the truck driver know when it’s safe to merge right (in front of you), mostly when crossing the Rockies. (You’d be surprised at how many of them flash their lights, thanking you. A lot if them are pulling doubles or triples so they’ve got a lot to manage).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've really not got any horror stories about truck drivers. As a matter of fact I experienced an act of kindness this year while pulled over at the Michigan welcome center at the Michigan/Indiana boarder. I was towing and parked in the side where trucks and folks towing trailers park. After using the restroom I did my usual walk around where I eyeball the tires and connections on the trailer and my van. I noticed my left rear tire looked a little low and got my pressure gauge. As I started to unscrew the valve cap I heard the stem leaking as I touched it with my hand. I knew it was a cracked stem so I unhitched and pulled my van forward and pulled out the tools.

As I started to attempt to crank down the spare a trucker pulled in next to me and said "you having problems?". Yeah I said, and he replied would you like a hand? As it ended up it was the first tire change I've had to do myself with my van so I said sure it would help. He hopped down came over and after showing him the leaking valve he jumped into action. He pulled out my jack lowered the tire from its under frame storage and promptly changed the tire. He did the dirty work and I helped a little. Once he pulled the spare and mounted it he checked the pressure of the spare and pulled an inflation hose from the back of his truck and hooked it up to the truck air compressor. I got everything squared away on the jack and tools and asked him if he had a business card or an address. I told him I'd like to send him something to express my appreciation for his help. He quickly said I didn't need to do that, and to have a good trip. He hopped in his truck and was off.

There are a lot of nice guys out there yet and he was a prince. I'm a big believer when I stop, to go and check the trailer and tow vehicle out prior to going back on the road. Thank goodness this paid off in keeping me from experiencing a failure on the highway itself.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I would say merging into heavy traffic from an onramp is my least favorite driving situation. On our last trip we were in a location where they were doing roadwork, so they had modified the lanes, had concrete barriers within inches of the road edge, and we had to enter 55-60 mph heavy traffic with a very short onramp. Just barely got up to traffic speed, and another pickup truck with travel trailer saw us coming and backed off enough to let us in smoothly. Had he been not paying attention, it would have been very bad.

I don't know the complete situation you describe, but my first thought on reading it was to wonder why you did not slow down to let him merge in front of you?
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Maybe you are the lugnut? I recently drove I-40 in West Texas and New Mexico. Many on-ramps are UPHILL and above 6,000 feet above sea level, making it difficult to get up to anywhere near the 75mph speed limit while towing an RV and merge with high speed traffic Amazing how many drivers wont move over to let you in!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
... There are a lot of nice guys out there yet and he was a prince. I'm a big believer when I stop, to go and check the trailer and tow vehicle out prior to going back on the road. Thank goodness this paid off in keeping me from experiencing a failure on the highway itself.

I do the same thing and it has paid off more than once. Several years ago, I kept blowing fuses in my trailer lights on my SOB. I was stopped at a Rest Area in Montana trying to fix the problem and a truck driver walked over to help me. Based on his advice we made the appropriate repair (loose wire in the connector) and we were back on the road in minutes.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #47
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
jcanavara - thank you for providing the positive experience you had with a trucker at a truck stop in the wonderful US of A! I thought the intent of this thread was to stay negative and share those stories that bother, irritate, anger, and upset us? I also do not think that rude truckers are the norm and those that are represent a minority of the thousands of trucks/drivers on our highways each day! I believe it is with folks who have never towed a trailer and think that we slower moving vehicles with a trailer behind us can maneuver just like they can!

I will add a comment of appreciation for ALL drivers who see our tow rig on the entry ramp, or when changing lanes they slow down or move over for us, often flashing their lights to indicate we are safe to enter! I can't tell you how many times I have been following a semi on the interstates and just follow their lead when lane changing is required and satisfied that it is a prudent decision to avoid something, someone somehow.

Those AS'ers that read my comments know I will provide one great story, so here it is. I was towing our beloved AS to a Dometic authorized repair dealer in Macon, GA, heading North from my center of the universe, Warner Robins. This short trip is mainly driving N on I-75 in the right lane. The semi I was following changed lanes to the middle lane for no apparent reason to me since I was quite a distance behind him, but I changed lanes with him, remembering the seven P's I learned in the Navy's Supply Corps School that was in Athens, GA at the time. Proper Prior Planning Prevents P____ Poor Performance! As I approached the right lane section the truck was avoiding, I saw an upright port-a-john in the middle of the right lane! WOW! I was so glad to follow the truckers lead to avoid this significant obstacle! The experience made me wonder if GDOT was planning to use these port-a-johns as a bandaid fix to the paucity of Rest Stops between middle GA and Atlanta!

Disclaimer: Please blame my fellow club members of the Top of Georgia AS club for these stories. We are the largest AS club in our great nation, with a significant portion of the greatest folks to camp with! During our mid-Oct mini-rally at the Top of Georgia AS Park, club members encouraged me to keep writing in to these threads!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #48
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
My Personal Rule for vehicles merging

I agree there are some drivers who always seem to have a surprise in store for me when I am on the road.

After some bad experiences, I developed the following two rules for vehicles that are merging in to the lane I am in.

Rule 1: if you see someone is going to merge in off an entrance ramp, and it is going to be near you as you drive by, move over or slow down to allow them room. No need to compete for the same space. Just assume they are not even looking for you.

Rule 2: My friend who lived in Boston taught me to yield to vehicles who have a fender "up" on me. I have modified that rule to say that if they are signaling, or it is obvious the need to merge, they are in motion and have any part of their vehicle ahead of my front door, I let them in, even if I have to slow down. I use this for both on ramps and lane changes.

Heavy underpowered vehicles and timid drivers merging from an on ramp, accelerate slowly and the last thing they want to do is get out to the end of the ramp and stop or slow down. So often they just keep going and depend on ud to give them room.

Giving room when you may not feel obligated to do so, will help you and your fellow motorists have a safer trip.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
Giving room when you may not feel obligated to do so, will help you and your fellow motorists have a safer trip.
Indeed! One state DMV website on the subject of merging had this advice: "Common decency and safety dictates that even when you have the right of way you should move over a lane when safe or slow to allow merging traffic to enter.."

(This is not intended as a critique of OP experience)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The 'merge' lane is an acceleration zone for the entering traffic.
I hate it when THEY slow down as I slow down to allow enough room.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
Maybe you are the lugnut? I recently drove I-40 in West Texas and New Mexico. Many on-ramps are UPHILL and above 6,000 feet above sea level, making it difficult to get up to anywhere near the 75mph speed limit while towing an RV and merge ....
Situations like that make me really appreciate my 6.7 Powerstroke!😀
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I also believe that a vast majority of truckers know the ropes, just want to get from point A to B safely and are good folks.

I believe most problems occur on crowded metro interstates where commuters are frustrated and don’t want to be behind “that RV”. That’s why I try my best to avoid metro interstates near rush hour, and Atlanta interstates at any time when towing.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #53

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

As many of you know, we travel quite extensively with Lucy. We have been avid Airstream travelers for almost fifteen years, and have been all over the US and Canada including Alaska.

In the last ten years or so we have made a concerted effort to avoid travel on Interstate Highways wherever feasible. We have found that travel along US and State highways is much more pleasant. We get to see all the small towns and what America really looks like. I do realize that some of us are not retired and must keep to a schedule, but when you can, the back roads are the best roads.

When we are forced on to the Interstate, we are most often traveling below the speed limit. When I see a vehicle on the ramp to merge onto the Interstate, I always move into the left lane if possible. When this is not possible, I try to gauge the vehicle coming on and speed up or slow down accordingly.

As far as professional drivers go, I have, for the most part, found them to be courteous and understanding. There are always a few jerks in any group, though.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #54

1959 18' Traveler
Tucson , Arizona
Highway manors

South of Hamilton, Mt, US 93 is a scenic two lane (one north, one south) highway with decent, but not generous, shoulders. I was driving north at a reasonable highway speed, A/S in tow, when I noticed a car come up fast from behind. (S)He pulled out to pass but didn’t notice (or didn’t care about) the oncoming vehicle. No worries though, the driver simply moved over to the shoulder allowing the southbound vehicle to pass between me in the northbound lane and the overtaking car in the southbound shoulder, going north. That maneuver got my attention and was probably really exciting for the southbound driver and/or passenger(s). I guess, all's well that ends well?!
DesertTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Rule: always have your dash cam on.

A few years ago I was minding my own business on Highway 401 from Toronto when some fool decided that to pass me on the right when merging from an on-ramp. He ran out of ramp and continued to pass me on the shoulder - but there was a car parked ahead on the shoulder, so he accelerated and cut me off. It was a harowing moment, but the trusty dash cam recorded it all. I contacted the Ontario Provincial Police and they graciously accepted my video clip, with the license very legible. I received a call from the police afterwards telling me that they located the owner of the car and informed him in writing that if he is caught with any traffic violation, it will be considered a second offence (many points, major cost and possible loss of driving licence).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Fools everywhere. On way home from FL, on US 231 coming into Montgomery AL traveling in inside fast lane to avoid turning vehicles. I noticed a guy in a car come up beside me on passenger side, and get about 4 car lengths in front, still in curb lane as approaching a stop light intersection. No vehicles in front of him or me Light turns yellow I am close enough to go through safely on yellow, when this jerk changes lanes in front of me, and instead of going through makes quick stop. No reason to change lanes and no reason to stop. Of course I hit brakes hard, white knuckle moment, trailer brakes smoothly applied, braked straight, slowed quickly, and I purposefully angled into a left turn lane luckily at intersection for added safety distance. Dude was oblivious, as I pulled up beside, he never looked over. I always think this was intentional act. Be Safe.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
After driving 50+ years I've realized that there are rude drivers of every type of vehicle. When I started driving my class B+ I decided that I'm not going to win every situation, I'm not going over 65, and I'll be even more defensive. I also bought a dashcam in case someone else causes a problem, and an unexpected side benefit is that I have become a better driver since my driving is being recorded, too.
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Not all the nutballs are in the east... I was coming up from Highway 99 to Highway 34 in Corvallis, OR. Warning: It's a 'college town'. The onramp to 34 is an old-fashioned 20 MPH sharp-turn cloverleaf with something like 7% grades with no space to merge into traffic once you hit the top.
I had my left signal on from the middle of the ramp, trusting that others would be good defensive drivers and let me in, being a truck and trailer and all. I was coming up through 30 MPH as I was getting to the top of the overpass and (finally) the end of that sharp corner.

Traffic behind my merging had given me space, so after continuing to clear my six and clear my mirrors, I made my merge, using up all of that tiny merge lane to try to gain speed for a smooth merge. Seconds later, I started to breathe easier, and suddenly... there's a movement in the truck's inside rearview mirror, not visible in the extended mirrors.

Finally spotted a little Scion XB (the clown car) tucked in between the truck and the trailer!! She wasn't moving, either, even though there was space in the lane next to her. Jeepers - talk about passive-aggressive!

We drove for a good half minute that way, finally I figured I had to do something to get her out of there, without doing something stupid like stopping, or before traffic forced something on me. So I just started easing the speed down really gradually, and moving over to the left side of the lane, to force her to move.

You'd have thought I'd done harm to her dog, the look she gave me as she finally went by. I remember the mental picture of the merge (indelibly printed!) and she'd had plenty of space and time to move over one lane and let me in.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I always try to remember it is better to give way than to be "Dead Right". However I must be honest and say it is not always easy to drive defensively.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Maniacs and idiots running amuck, Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbacon View Post
I thought that we might all benefit by sharing our misadventures involving other drivers on the road; to be aware is to be forewarned. Stupidity and evil do exist. Have you had any similar experiences ?
Just got back to CA from a quick 2 week, 2,600 mile trip to and from TX and was going to comment on another thread on "Where did the newbies go?" cause they're not on the road or camping and got distracted by the timeliness of this thread.

Outbound, 3 days out Van Horn TX just got up on the 10 frwy east bound right lane 65 mph steady and along comes an 18 wheeler passing me on the left doing 67-68 mph. No big deal. (BTW TX speed limits are 80 mph and that goes for 18 wheelers too) Now I see another 18 wheeler about 1/4 mile ahead in the right lane and we are slowly closing on him and he is doing 63-64 mph. Now I see an on-ramp just around a left bend in the road about 100 yards or less ahead with no one on the ramp, or so I thought. Then out of the corner of my eye I see something really moving, it was another 18 wheeler entering the freeway doing better than 75 MPH less than 100 feet in front of me. I start braking and trying to move over into the left lane to let this guy in, remember the guy on my left who was passing me? He slows down too, plus he now has another truck behind him. White knuckle time. Full brakes on not knowing for sure who was directly behind me. They missed me, barely. Interesting no one but me was slowing down much.

The other story was on the return trip back to California. West bound on 10 just west of Phoenix and the junction of Hwy 8 Loop. This was Sunday around 11:00 AM. (AZ speed limits are 75 MPH for all vehicles) I'm traveling along rt lane 65 MPH up ahead by 75 yards or so are 3 Semi-Trucks rt lane traveling about 65 MPH to. Now I don't know why but California car drivers like to travel in packs, like dogs or wolves. Usually there are 10-20 cars in a pack. Each pack seems to be spaced apart from one to another by 1/2-1 mile. In each pack 90% of the cars had California License plates. Gotta admit that's a little strange. Back to the story. So one of the 3 semi trucks pulls out to pass the other two, but he passes them very sloooooowly. (Remember he could legally go 75 MPH.) So much so that the wolf packs piles up behind him in the left lane. I back waaay off. Have you ever noticed that the smallest car in the pack is the one most likely to run amuck? Sure 'nuff a car about the size of a Fiat 500 gets the urge to pass, pulls out of the left lane right ahead of me runs right up behind the 2 semi's in the right lane. Aha me thinks he is going butt into the pack on the left lane. I back off some more. But no, this whack-O-ramma decides to pass the 2 Semi-Trucks on the right shoulder of the freeway. Now in Arizona some of the right shoulders are almost as wide and smooth as a traffic lane, which makes it temping for nut jobs to try. The operative word here is "almost" because even in Arizona there are bridges across rivers and the bridge abutments takes up 1/2 the width of the shoulder and I could see one coming up as the road bent to the right. I now backed off even more. I could see this guy getting squashed either by the semi's or hitting the bridge abutment. The guy made it barely.

It's like the movie "No Country for Old Men" you suddenly feel out matched and don't know when it happened.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote