Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Balance, balance, balance. Let's hope they come to their senses. No one likes to have choice removed. Campgrounds could conceivably hike rates if this passed, knowing they had captive customers.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I can't even conceive of this kind of thing happening in the southwest, where there are many millions of acres of public lands (BLM, FS, etc.) where folks can camp for free if they want to. A Darwin award to the person behind the idea in Maine.

Lynn
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Maine's been on this road for years

I would dearly love to move back into Maine. Unfortunately, the short sightedness runs very deep - High taxes, taxes aimed specifically at visitors (privae airplanes took the last shot), NIMBY attitudes toward industry. I just can't afford it.

Jim
Maine Maritime Academy '89
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Here in San Diego it is now against the law to drink on the beach (boose) no beer or a glass of wine as you watch the sunset. All because of a few, I mean a few who get stupid. Why don't they just arrest the idoits? Instead the majority loose a nice relaxing freedom.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Maine Anti-RV Parking Bill Withdrawn

Rep. Anne Perry (D-Calais), sponsor of the Maine anti-RV parking bill has asked that her bill be voted down. She did this in response to "thoughful" emails from the RV community. She also commented that she received a number of "nasty" emails.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
As a campground owner we would love to offer dry camping for a small fee... but we do have a question for all those who dont want to pay for camping. Who will pay for the paper products, soap, cleaning supplies, laundry facilities, internet access,propane for hot water, electricity in the registration office, grounds maintance and garbage pick up? Just to name a few. If it were at all possible we would do it.

Not to sound sarcastic..but...Like my family has always said... if we begrudge paying for camping we should not have bought the trailer.
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick&claire View Post
Rep. Anne Perry (D-Calais), sponsor of the Maine anti-RV parking bill has asked that her bill be voted down. She did this in response to "thoughful" emails from the RV community. She also commented that she received a number of "nasty" emails.
This is good news. Let's hope the Maine Legislature honors her request.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
As a campground owner we would love to offer dry camping for a small fee... but we do have a question for all those who dont want to pay for camping. Who will pay for the paper products, soap, cleaning supplies, laundry facilities, internet access,propane for hot water, electricity in the registration office, grounds maintance and garbage pick up? Just to name a few. If it were at all possible we would do it.

Not to sound sarcastic..but...Like my family has always said... if we begrudge paying for camping we should not have bought the trailer.
We are happy to pay park fees when we're camping. Especially when the park is as nice as yours is. But when we are transit to our destination and are just looking to get some sleep we take advantage of free over night parking at Walmart, truck stops, rest areas, etc because we are not camping, we are traveling. I believe camping and traveling are two different things.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Well said, MYBOYBURT......We are more than glad to pay for a campground but we stay at Wal-Mart and truckstops when traveling.....only make sense when all you need is sleep.....truckers do it...I bet they wouldn't dare stop that as the trucking industry would scream to Washington!!!!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post

On the other hand, if you prefer that RVers, many of whom are towing 12,000 pound 5th wheel trailers with their 8,500 pound trucks, continue down the same roads that your family uses every day while too tired to drive safely in order for your RV park to make an extra $20 or so...
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Go View Post
This state thrives on tourism; that the Maine legislature is contemplating reducing the number of potential visitors is unbelievable.
Printed on every Maine license plate is..."Vacationland" for chrissake.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have been to Maine and it is beautiful, but with the attitude the legislators have there, who wants to give their tourist economy any business. Legislators everywhere seem to spend all of their time finding STUPID things to put into law. If they really tried, they could attract many more tourists and work on laws to keep both citizens and tourists more safe. They just do not get it that people who come into their state and camp spend money, no matter where they may spend the night.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Florida Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is already a law in place like this in Florida. The RV park owners pushed that one through, it is the reason you aren't supposed to spend the night in a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or Flying J in Florida. Spending more than a couple of hours in a rest area is illegal in Florida, too.
I'm not aware of this Florida Law. Is it a state, county or local law? Anyone have more information concerning this law?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'm not entirely sure the info on Florida is correct. If it were, there'd be all sorts of screaming about it on places like RV.net.

Most of the laws I've seen are strictly local in nature, which is why the Maine thing stuck out like a sore thumb. Here in New Mexico, for example, there is no statewide law; everything is local. For example, there appears to be such a law in Red River, according to this week's rag. Kind of dumb, IMHO, because the few parking lots in RR are about the size of vintage postage stamps, and there's FS parking right outside of town. By contrast, there is no such law in Angel Fire. I don't know first-hand about Taos and Eagle Nest. However, it appears that parking-lot parking is permitted in Taos since our little Walmart is usually populated with a few RVs (including one semi-permanent rig whose owner keeps bugging us to let him stay here: not!).

Lynn
Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I just checked, there are 22 Elks Lodges in Maine so I don't think I will have any trouble finding a place to stop overnight.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
On the other hand, if you prefer that RVers, many of whom are towing 12,000 pound 5th wheel trailers with their 8,500 pound trucks, continue down the same roads that your family uses every day while too tired to drive safely in order for your RV park to make an extra $20 or so...
Maybe they should have stopped sooner
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is already a law in place like this in Florida. The RV park owners pushed that one through, it is the reason you aren't supposed to spend the night in a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or Flying J in Florida. Spending more than a couple of hours in a rest area is illegal in Florida, too.
Not sure it is a law in FL but it is just good sense in southern Fl. if you want to live.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #39
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Maine RV Parking Bill Status
5/12/09
LD114 / HP98, the bill in the Maine State Legislature that would make it a civil offense to park an RV overnight on any public parking lot in the state appears to be a dead duck.
The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Anne Perry, D-Calais, asked the House of Representatives today to vote down the bill, stating that it was too broad, could affect too many businesses and impact safety for RV travelers. The house responded by accepting the minority “ought not to pass” report from committee without a roll call. The bill now heads to the Senate with an “ought not to pass” recommendation. Given that the sponsor asked that the bill be killed in the House, it’s unlikely that LD 114 will be approved in the Senate.
Here are some links to news stories relating to the bill.
http://updates.mainetoday.com/updates/maine-house-kills-rv-camping-bill
http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/newsupdate.php?updates/sponsor-moves-to-kill-rv-bill
At this time, no further grassroots action is likely to be necessary, but we will watch the status of the bill closely until we are sure it is dead. Thank you to the many RVers who sent emails or made phone calls to Maine legislators and tourism offices. Your voices were definitely heard!
We feel it would now be a friendly gesture for RVers to take a moment to thank Maine’s Legislature for doing the right thing. They have proven that they do care about RVers’ safety and respect their lifestyle.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up Hats off to Maine

It's my understanding that the Maine legislature has voted down the ban on overnight parking, in part, due to the huge negative response from the RV and overall Maine business communities.

Rarely are there simple solutions to complex issues and I applaud the Maine legislature for looking deeper into the issue and making the right decision.

I tend to dry camp in the places available to the RV community and sadly, I have noticed that not all RV'ers act responsibly when they are overnight guests. Gray water - garbage - location of parking - overstaying the welcome have become problems in many areas and have resulted in our loosing the overnight privilege. It's my understanding that Walmart's general policy is to let us stay but leave the final decision up to the local manager. Several have closed their lots to us because we have been irresponsible.

We may be our own worst enemy! Abuse it and lose it!!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote