Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Maine...here we come. Now for getting there..

Booked our Maine trip today and now going over route from Florida. AAA provided alot of info on going around the big cities using hwy 84. For those of you that have been this way, are there better routes or places we should know about when towing? Our base will be Bass Harbor, and many day trips from there.
Thanks,
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
When I travel south from CT I avoid I95 through western CT, New York and New Jersey. I would say its the worst road in the country. Route 81 to rt. 84 to rt. 90 (mass turnpike toll road) to rt 95. is great way to go.
Have a great trip, you will enjoy Maine.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think your route is dead on. Avoid 95 at all costs. We use 81 as often as we can for our travels. Through Ct. 84 is a good road but can get congested at rush hour through Hartford so try and plan ahead. It's easy to avoid Boston since you go around it. Haven't been out into Pa lately so not sure how the construction issue is but drove from Maine back home a few weeks ago and things were pretty good. Look at the mapquest and plan accordingly. Have a great trip and enjoy some lobster for me. Camden, Me is a very nice town and there is Camden Hills State Park about a mile north of town that has a very nice campground. Central dump station but water/ electric on site. See if that will work into your plans.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldencove
When I travel south from CT I avoid I95 through western CT, New York and New Jersey. I would say its the worst road in the country. Route 81 to rt. 84 to rt. 90 (mass turnpike toll road) to rt 95. is great way to go.
Have a great trip, you will enjoy Maine.
I do this rt from PA to Maine and to New Brunswick, CA a couple of times a year. From FL on I-81 to I-84 to I-87 ( NY St Thruway) to Mass Pike, around Boston to I-95 north to ME. Much better roads than I-84 through CT!

Go safely,
Peter
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Booked our Maine trip today and now going over route from Florida. AAA provided alot of info on going around the big cities using hwy 84. For those of you that have been this way, are there better routes or places we should know about when towing? Our base will be Bass Harbor, and many day trips from there.
Thanks,
Andi
As others have said... I recommend 81 to 84 to 90 (Mass. Turnpike) to 495 to 95 into Maine. In pre-Airstream days, made the reverse trip several times, from NH to TN via 95/495/90-Pike/84/81 going down to college, and back... it's a fairly direct route, easy driving, and avoids NJ/NY which is so worth it.

There's a section of highway in NY, I believe, maybe on I-84?, where the road has an annoying bump every 50 feet or so, goes on for tens of miles... some kind of engineering problem? Anyway that's the worst of it. That was about 10 years ago, hope they fixed it since then

I'm in Kittery, Maine, about a mile off I-95 after you cross from NH into Maine, and Airstream-friendly and can accommodate a 27' if you're in a pinch and really need it...! Holler if you need anything...
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We are also headed to ME and then will be traveling to Nova Scotia. Looking at campgroundreviews.com, it appears that there are no decent RV parks in eastern Mass. Any suggestions for places to stay in eastern Mass., NH, ME?

Thanks
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Any suggestions for places to stay in eastern Mass., NH, ME?
Not sure what your criteria is but I have stayed overnight at Wakeda Camground (wakedacampground.com) which isn't too too far off I-95, in Hampton Falls, N.H. Can get a little crowded but it's in a nice setting among tall trees.
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
My RT to Maine

I live in Southern CT so I84 is only about 10 miles north of me. I take I84 East to I90 (Mass Pike) I90 east to 290 (towards Wooster MA), to I495 north to the end which turns into I95 about the MA/NH border. Once through NH and into Maine I95 north becomes the Maine Turnpike which is a toll rd. Check your maps as this takes you inland. If you want to see the coast you need to get over to rt1 which basically goes along the coast but until after Labor Day rt 1 is a tourist trap and lots of traffic.
We are going up there but not till the second week of Sept.
If you want to avoid Hartford on I84 you can take I691 off I84 over to I91N. Take I91N to I84E and this get you around Hartford. Only adds abuot 20 min to trip.
Good luck enjoy Maine. Happy camping, nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Some years ago we were coming south on I-95 in Connecticut and remember we had to find an alternate route as we got closer to New York because trailers were not permitted. Maybe it was the Wilbur Cross or Merritt Parkway, it's been a long time. Are there still trailer restrictions in that area?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post

Any suggestions for places to stay in eastern Mass., NH, ME?

Thanks

we did an early season rally this year with the NEU folks at Salisbury Beach State Reservation on the MA coast / NH border that was pretty nice....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post

Maybe it was the Wilbur Cross or Merritt Parkway, it's been a long time. Are there still trailer restrictions in that area?
your memory is correct - NO TRAILERS or mohos at all on those roadways, also known as Rte 15 on some maps....

but a much prettier ride than I-95 if you're not pulling your Airstream!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Connecticut Trailer Towing Restrictions

You are correct, the Merritt and Wilber Cross Parkways (RT 15) in CT have a "NO TRAILER" of any kind restiction. They also have a restriction on any vehicle with a registered weight of over 7500lbs.
I can't legally drive my 3500 GMC dually on them.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Anywhere along route 1 is great, don't miss Camden, the most picturest town in Maine. Route 1 is slow but you will see a lot,so take your time and enjoy. At BassHarbar you have the Acadian National Park,you can tour and Bar Harbor,parking is a nightmare so take the bus,it runs on a regular schedule and you get to see a lot
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Just to let everyone know we made it up here in time for the first ever Tropical Storm! Murphy followed us up here....we were in Mass at Hanscom AFB Famcamp when the earthquake hit!
Whoever is traveling to Maine thru Conn, please be aware that there is only one RV friendly gas station!!! Conn is not accomodating to RV/truckers!
We are in Bass Harbor, can buy lobsters for $4 each!! Love it up here, nice to visit, but have heard many stories about the winters here.
Safe travels!
Andi
Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
CT not RV/trucker gas station friendly

Hello, glad to hear thatyou made it to Maine safely. I don't knod the route you took but if it was I-84 you are right there are no service areas along that route in NY, CT and MA but there are signs along I-84 that inform you if fuel, food and lodging are available at the exits. When I head north
I always take I-84 and have never had a problem refueling. Don't eat all the lobsters as my son and I will be up there the 3rd week of Sept.
If you are looking for a good sightseeing tour check out the airplane tour at the Bar Harbor Airport just outside of Ellsworth which you had to pass to get out to the island. It is great fun and gives you a grand tour of Frenchmans Bay and all the small islands. Have a wonderful time, happy camping. nm1oqrz
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Save some lobsters for us too. Hope to be there in a couple of weeks. It sounds like VT got the brunt of Emily. Was coastal Maine spared this time?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Personally I try and plan to avoid fueling up in Conn. Cost too much there. Not that NY or Mass is a whole lot better. Were in Maine earlier this summer but wish I had found some $4 lobsters. I just might still be there if I did. Hope you all had a great trip.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We are leaving tomorrow and sadly there are no lobsters left in Maine...at least we put a good effort into it! Wish I could take the weather with us. And yes, we did get a little of the storm, thought about evacuating to Vermont....so glad we didn't. I'm sure we will hit alot of rain tomorrow, so it will be slow driving.
Maine is a magical place, so much to do, so many trails to hike...so little time. Almost two weeks went by and wish we could stay a month longer.
If anyone plans on going in the future, my recomendation would be get there before labor day and stay a couple weeks after labor day. Almost everything stays open until October and prices are cheaper and as of today, its almost a ghost town during the week, weekends are a different story. And the weather is perfect! 65-71 during day....47-55 at nite...wish I could take it home with me!
Once I get home, I always miss the aroma of the campfires!
Andi