Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Maiden voyage - picking up Classic 33 next week

Hello all! My wife and I finally received our truck, and are scheduled to pick up our Classic 33 in a few weeks from Colonial in NJ. We've made the trip up there from SE Virginia (Hampton Roads) a few months ago, but this time will be the real deal, towing.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom for the trip south to the eastern shore. At first we were toying with the idea of camping in Delaware along the way. We will wait and see on that.

I'm getting my EZ Pass transponders next week. We will be traveling in the middle of the week on the return.

Thanks in advance.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

That sounds like a great trip. Enjoy your journey.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thanks. Looking forward to the Eastern shore part, not so sure about the I-95 portion. I'm probably over-thinking that, though. Have not towed a trailer for a few decades. Getting some miles on the truck now, and familiarity.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
That’s awesome. Congratulations. Do what you’re comfortable with. Go from there…
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Kensington , Maryland
Dec. 2018 was our maiden voyage from Colonial

First, you will love your new Airstream and the adventures it brings!

We did our maiden voyage from Colonial to Kensington MD in Dec. 2018. We spent Saturday night in the Airstream at Colonial, then went to a nearby stadium parking lot (this was near their old location) to practice backing etc.

On Sunday, we did the first stretch on the Garden Parkway which was very good. Due to less than perfect planning and events, the remainder was after dark, in the rain, navigating the Jersey Parkway, I-95, tunnels through Baltimore etc. It was by far the toughest tow we have ever done.

My humble suggestions are:
1) Do a few very short (maybe non-freeway) days as a shakedown
2) Use google map & street view to plan out your route and stops
3) Have fun & enjoy the heck out your new Airstream
Fjord F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Unfortunately, there is no longer an area to practice nearby since they moved. I am going to ask about the Amazon facility across Rt 33 though. You really had a trial by fire! My plan is to take 33 to I-95, and then cross the river, and connect to Rt 1. When we were up there looking at our Classic a few months ago, Patrick suggested taking 295. I don't know if that is better or not.

We plan to stay overnight as well. Thanks for the tips. We will be using a Garmin RV GPS (a carryover from our Unity), as well as the truck's NAV unit. I've been looking at the Google map.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
In 2019 we spent the first night at Colonial, the second night at the MWR campground at Naval Weapons Station Earle, NJ (nearby), then I95 to I276, I76 to Harrisburg, 15 to Gettysburg for two nights. Then, 15 to 17 through Warrenton, 17 through Fredericksburg, I95 to I295 to I64 to our home in Williamsburg. I suggest you find a campground close to Colonial for your first night "on the road" so that you're in striking distance of Colonial should something need repair (that was our stop at Earle...if you're military, you could stay there...nice campground). Our route to Gettysburg took us off the madness that is I95, and camping two nights in Gettysburg was still not far from Colonial. The route we took back home to Williamsburg avoided D.C. (and I95 for the most part), until reaching I64. Just a thought.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
AgBullet,

Thanks for the suggestion. We were originally planning on staying one night in a state park in Delaware, but our schedule shifted due to truck delivery delay. I am retired Navy, so that might be a good plan. I dread I-95 too. I'm still thinking about 295, but it's probably just as bad.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Here's an MWR Earle link. Lots of deer/turkey in the campground, pleasant stay. 295 is much better than 95...generally 4 lanes between 95 and 64. Congratulations on your Classic 33...you'll love it!
https://www.navymwrearle.com/program...2-b49758bf3529
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #10
Pakman31

2021 27' International
River Vale , New Jersey
Congrats on your purchase! The people at Colonial are outstanding, and we have been so happy with their support (we purchased a 27 FB last year).

The part of towing that makes me most nervous are cars weaving & passing me on right, in my blind spot. Unfortunately, this happens a lot in NJ.

In order to mitigate the risk, I use the Blind Spot Information System that came with my truck. It works with a trailer up to 8.5 feet (which I think is the width of your unit). I have a Ford truck, so your vehicle may differ.

My suggestion is to check your truck manual to see if you have a similar system and set it up ahead of time.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGClassic View Post
Hello all! My wife and I finally received our truck, and are scheduled to pick up our Classic 33 in a few weeks from Colonial in NJ. We've made the trip up there from SE Virginia (Hampton Roads) a few months ago, but this time will be the real deal, towing.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom for the trip south to the eastern shore. At first we were toying with the idea of camping in Delaware along the way. We will wait and see on that.

I'm getting my EZ Pass transponders next week. We will be traveling in the middle of the week on the return.

Thanks in advance.
pakman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Or keep to the right (the LAW in most places) and stop impeding traffic. Always amazes me how the slowpoke in the middle lane routine folks are so oblivious to how rude they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman31 View Post
Congrats on your purchase! The people at Colonial are outstanding, and we have been so happy with their support (we purchased a 27 FB last year).

The part of towing that makes me most nervous are cars weaving & passing me on right, in my blind spot. Unfortunately, this happens a lot in NJ.

In order to mitigate the risk, I use the Blind Spot Information System that came with my truck. It works with a trailer up to 8.5 feet (which I think is the width of your unit). I have a Ford truck, so your vehicle may differ.

My suggestion is to check your truck manual to see if you have a similar system and set it up ahead of time.

Best of luck!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #12
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
You will learn to avoid the right lanes when passing through a town that has very much traffic. The right lanes always eventually will end and if traffic is bad you may find yourself having to go right when you can't get over. Traveling all across this country has thought me this.

My 2022 Ram 3500 automatically figures out my trailer length when I put it in tow mode. It reads 30 feet on my 25 footer. When I measured from my truck bumper to the back bumper on my trailer is was a bit over 29 feet, so I'd say that is perfect for me.
2022 Ram 3500 Dually
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Here's an MWR Earle link. Lots of deer/turkey in the campground, pleasant stay. 295 is much better than 95...generally 4 lanes between 95 and 64. Congratulations on your Classic 33...you'll love it!
https://www.navymwrearle.com/program...2-b49758bf3529
Thanks. We're deciding on that stay.... I mean the 295 in NJ. Patrick B. at Colonial mentioned it in passing. Agreed in VA, we always take 295 around Richmond. 95 up there is insane.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman31 View Post

Best of luck!
We like Colonial. We tried to go through a closer dealer in VA, no inventory, no idea of when they would have a Classic.

Agreed on the blind spot and the cars. It happened to us the Unity too. One time I even had a school bus in NJ pass me on the right at the end of the merge lane.

We have a F-350. I noticed a lot of trailer/towing stuff in the menu, have to figure that out. Will also have the rear camera on the AS, hope it helps.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Or keep to the right (the LAW in most places) and stop impeding traffic. Always amazes me how the slowpoke in the middle lane routine folks are so oblivious to how rude they are.
I lived in the right lane with our motorhome. No hurry. I'm thinking 60-65 max anyway, depending on traffic, weather, road conditions.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #16
Pakman31

2021 27' International
River Vale , New Jersey
Cool! You should feel very confident towing with the F-350. What engine did you opt for?

Back to your question / comment. The backup camera on the AS is very helpful. I like to see who is behind me.

I would mention that you should not prioritize the Ford Backup Assist feature (if your truck has it). I spent a few hours over a couple of days mucking about with Backup Assist, and never got it working. Your choice, obviously, but I would leave it lower on your list of to-dos (or not bother at all).

Quote:
We like Colonial. We tried to go through a closer dealer in VA, no inventory, no idea of when they would have a Classic.

Agreed on the blind spot and the cars. It happened to us the Unity too. One time I even had a school bus in NJ pass me on the right at the end of the merge lane.

We have a F-350. I noticed a lot of trailer/towing stuff in the menu, have to figure that out. Will also have the rear camera on the AS, hope it helps.

Thanks.
pakman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bring tools. This is a shakedown "cruise" so things from electric to plumbing may generate issues you might be able to fix road side.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Remember with EZ Pass it reads the license plate at the back of trailer. So trailer plate needs to be one of your vehicles for EZ Pass to work.
Don't forget tools for trailer tire changes/torquing lug nuts after 100 miles(they say it needs to be done even though the trailer was towed to the dealer).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Churchville , Pennsylvania
Route suggestion...

NJ 33W, 571 to Great Adventure/Jackson, I-195W, I-295S, Cross the Twin Span Delaware Memorial Bridge, in DE, US 1 S, 13 S, US 301 S ...

Good luck with the new trailer!!!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
highly recommend spending two nights at Colonial. Functionally test absolutely everything, from table height to drawers and cabinet doors. See if you can get a copy of their delivery checklist and repeat it. Video hitching and unhitching, and any other critical function you feel you need a record of. Take your time.
At every camp you stop, on the way out, practice backing into vacant campsites. Learn how responsive your TV is to the trailer, and how you and partner communicate to nail the campsite.
Have fun, enjoy it. Best of luck.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote