Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My advice would be to take a long time on the walkthrough.
I didn't. It was 95 deg. and I owned other RV's so I felt pretty confident.
When I got home I had lots of questions, are the propane tanks full? Open both valves? Is the water heater on bypass? Safe to turn on? How does a DVD play on the TV and stereo?
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' International
houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGClassic View Post
Unfortunately, there is no longer an area to practice nearby since they moved. I am going to ask about the Amazon facility across Rt 33 though. You really had a trial by fire! My plan is to take 33 to I-95, and then cross the river, and connect to Rt 1. When we were up there looking at our Classic a few months ago, Patrick suggested taking 295. I don't know if that is better or not.

We plan to stay overnight as well. Thanks for the tips. We will be using a Garmin RV GPS (a carryover from our Unity), as well as the truck's NAV unit. I've been looking at the Google map.
There's an app (iPhone, not sure about Android) for truckers called TruckMap that you can use when towing your trailer. It will avoid tight spots, low clearance, etc.. You can set trailer height, weight and length. I've used it towing my 30' International from Texas to eastern Canada last summer on our maiden voyage and it worked great me. I usually default to Apple map in my truck when I tow but I always run the route through TruckMap when we drive somewhere new to avoid any surprises. It also highlights truck stops for refueling and cat scales.
gerry_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' International
houston , Texas
Quote:
We like Colonial. We tried to go through a closer dealer in VA, no inventory, no idea of when they would have a Classic.

Agreed on the blind spot and the cars. It happened to us the Unity too. One time I even had a school bus in NJ pass me on the right at the end of the merge lane.

We have a F-350. I noticed a lot of trailer/towing stuff in the menu, have to figure that out. Will also have the rear camera on the AS, hope it helps.

Thanks.
I have a F-250 MY2021, you can set up you trailer, name it, keep track of mileage, etc.. and select length in the configuration menu. It will detect cars in your blind spot beyond the length of your Airstream. Combined with the rear camera on the trailer you should be perfectly fine.
gerry_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Hello all! My wife and I finally received our truck, and are scheduled to pick up our Classic 33 in a few weeks from Colonial in NJ. We've made the trip up there from SE Virginia (Hampton Roads) a few months ago, but this time will be the real deal, towing.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom for the trip south to the eastern shore. At first we were toying with the idea of camping in Delaware along the way. We will wait and see on that.

I'm getting my EZ Pass transponders next week. We will be traveling in the middle of the week on the return.

Thanks in advance.
Stay off the interstates, toll roads and limited access highways. Take the back roads, the slow routes, the scenic routes. That affords you the opportunity to drive at a more relaxed pace and the opportunity's to pull over onto large parking lots, to get out and inspect your towing rig and what may have opened or shifted inside the trailer. It also gives you the opportunity to make a quick lunch or cup of coffee and take a break, even if only a few minutes, to evaluate how you are doing.

Whenever possible, I stay off the high speed highways. I want to see the countryside, not glazey eyed commuters flying by at high speeds after riding my bumper for several miles.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:27 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My advice would be to take a long time on the walkthrough.
I didn't. It was 95 deg. and I owned other RV's so I felt pretty confident.
When I got home I had lots of questions, are the propane tanks full? Open both valves? Is the water heater on bypass? Safe to turn on? How does a DVD play on the TV and stereo?
Thanks. Today isthe day. I have a friend’s checklist for his AS, so as long as we pay attention to it, we maybe get something out of it. Beautiful weather in NJ today.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:30 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
Stay off the interstates, toll roads and limited access highways. Take the back roads, the slow routes, the scenic routes. That affords you the opportunity to drive at a more relaxed pace and the opportunity's to pull over onto large parking lots, to get out and inspect your towing rig and what may have opened or shifted inside the trailer. It also gives you the opportunity to make a quick lunch or cup of coffee and take a break, even if only a few minutes, to evaluate how you are doing.

Whenever possible, I stay off the high speed highways. I want to see the countryside, not glazey eyed commuters flying by at high speeds after riding my bumper for several miles.
We are staying close to the dealer for one night, on the secondary routes. Do not think we can avoid the one stretch of NJ turnpike though. We will be on 13 on the eastern shore, a little more relaxing.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:32 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_d View Post
I have a F-250 MY2021, you can set up you trailer, name it, keep track of mileage, etc.. and select length in the configuration menu. It will detect cars in your blind spot beyond the length of your Airstream. Combined with the rear camera on the trailer you should be perfectly fine.
Thanks. I need to set that up today once we get hitched. The BLIS does work, noticed that on the way up here yesterday.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:34 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_d View Post
There's an app (iPhone, not sure about Android) for truckers called TruckMap that you can use when towing your trailer. It will avoid tight spots, low clearance, etc.. You can set trailer height, weight and length. I've used it towing my 30' International from Texas to eastern Canada last summer on our maiden voyage and it worked great me. I usually default to Apple map in my truck when I tow but I always run the route through TruckMap when we drive somewhere new to avoid any surprises. It also highlights truck stops for refueling and cat scales.
Thanks, had not heard ofthat app. We use RV Trip wizard, which will route using RV life. Sounds like you had a great trip.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Heathsville , Arkansas

We bought our first Airstream from Colonial, and we have family in the area. We live in Eastern Virginia, on the Northern Neck. We pick up 301 in Middletown DE and follow it all the way to Port Royal, Va. From there, it’s 17 to Tappahannock. You would just stay on 17. Some lights to suffer through in parts of Maryland, but a pretty easy drive.
mrhulse is offline   Reply With Quote