RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
luxury rv resorts near New York City?

Hi Airstreamers! I am in Los Angeles and am going to be taking my 65 Caravel across country to the East Coast where I live part time in New York City...I would like to find a lovely rv resort to have my Airstream for the summer, maybe in the Hamptons, Cape May or Cape Cod?

I've only gone to resorts in the West so don't know the East Coast terrain at all. As a single gal, I need something cushy and safe - no roughing it on this trip...any suggestions?

Thanks and hope everyone is hanging in there!
cinesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There is an Airstreams Only campground near Cape May called Jersey Shore Haven. It is pleasant but hardly posh. We have stayed a few times and always enjoyed the area.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Cape May has a bunch of full service”luxury” RV resorts. I’m not quite sure that luxury equates to what luxury would mean in terms of a Hotel. They are most family places located in Cape May landing not Cape May itself. They are nice but if I were single or without kids I would look at this more basic RV park which is located in walking distance or a short bike ride of everything nice about Cape May.

https://thedepottravelpark.com
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
Thank you both so much- those are both great suggestions!!! Yay!!!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
I stay at AS only Jersey Shore Haven year round. Cape May is fabulous place to be. Not just Cape May but up and down the Jersey Shore is great. I live on Long Island and prefer the family atmosphere of the Jersey Shore over the Hamptons. Depends what you are looking for. If you stay near Cap May then you are also 90 minutes from Colonial AS if you need service. If you prefer Cap Cod I suggest you check out BOSTON / CAPE COD KOA.
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Brookhaven , Georgia
If you want to go into the city, there's Liberty harbor. I would suggest parking, walking onto the ferry that is just steps away, and getting a hotel. Pay very close attention to the ferry schedule. When you are done with Manhattan days later, return to your Airstream.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
That’s a pretty big radius; Cape May is 170 miles and Hyannis on Cape Cod is 250 miles, both driving miles.

Hamptons are much closer, 90 miles but you have to contend with avoiding Parkways in NY state, which prohibit trailers.

Perhaps a few more requirements and priorities to help mail down acceptable places. The Catskills and Poconos have some nice resorts and are just as near NYC but if close to salt water is a requirement , no dice. And how far is “near”?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Eastern Long Island has limited choices for RV parks. I will also second what Greg mentioned about the Catskills and also add the entire Hudson Valley area. These are nice areas for a weekend retreat from NYC if the Beach is not a prerequisite.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
I guess “near” was taken so literally. I live part time in nyc and thought I’d park my airstream somewhere near the beach for a place to enjoy summer beach weather but I like the Catskills and Hudson valley ideas, thank you!!!! All great suggestions:-).
Old 01-16-2021, 03:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
This CG in Greenport is probably too far east on Long Island for your needs, but if you can afford the "Hamptons" prices, once they open in the Spring, it is worth inquiring IMO:

https://elikampground.com/
https://elikampground.com/rates-%26-map

The Long Island Rail Road runs out to Greenport from the city, so you could leave your entire rig at the CG and "commute!"

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Los Angeles , California
Thank you-that looks great!!!