Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
Maggie,

We always enjoy reading your postings and your info on various locations Now, more than ever, my wife is wanting to go to Edisto Beach so we will get there before long. Also the memorial to Doug is so beautiful and appropriate.

While you are in this part of the country, consider taking in Springstream in Hiawasse, GA on Lake Chatuge beginning April 10 through April 12. Always a lot of fun and a great group. We usually go up a day or so early.

Just across the mountain is Top of GA campground near Helen, GA. with a rally starting April 15. There will be several that will take in both events which is what we are planning on doing. We would love to have you attend and our Cairn Terrier (Coco) would like to meet Lily.

Barbara & Walter Duffee
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you. That's very sweet of you.

Lily and I will be leaving Wateree/Alumalina on the 30th and heading directly back to central Illinois.

Easter is that following weekend and, importantly, I need to get things to the accountant lest I be late for the tax man.

I have been gone from home since mid-December, but for a run home in a rental car in January for something, so it has been a long time on the road. Christmas via Skype.....it was just one of those years.

I need to see and hug kids and grands, there are birthdays to deal with and spring tasks at the little house to tend to.....we are always home by the end of March, but thanks for the invitations and maybe we can get it done some other time.

You could always come to Alumalina. I won't be there in the fall, but look to be back next March. Lots of great people there.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
We spent a wonderful week of Christmas at site 16. Enjoy! Headed to the upstate, Springfield (Corp of Engineers) on Lake Hartwell in a few weeks then to Mile High in the Smokies.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has rained hard here today, first rain of more than the lightest sprinkle in the 12 days we have been here.

I consider it a freshwater rinse of the light layer of sand covering the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily is so spoiled....more so after nearly two weeks at the beach than she was before.

Her first walk of the day was to drop trash off at the dumpster and then on to the grocer....as I needed bananas and also a fresh cinnamon roll for my breakfast.

A good little walk, all business taken care of, but we get back to the Interstate and she gives me the look....like "what....no beach???....I haven't had my morning walk unless I go on the beach. " Booger dog.

So, breakfast consumed....off we go. Tide is high, so not much beach to be had, but she got her fix and then settled down for a nap.

I am going to miss a 10 minute walk, Lily in tow, to the grocery store....where I can loop her leash around the post out front and know that no one will care, then walk her and carry my few things back.

Beach life. It's been lovely.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Porterdale , Georgia
We spent a week at Edisto over 4th of July last yr, however were in the off-beach campground , other than record breaking rains trapping us in the trailer for 2 days (we were in a low spot, site 11; water almost to our top step) we had a wonderful time!! Spent several trips through Botany Bay taking fabulous photos. Ate at Sea Cow and several other places, all good!!! Highly recommend the area!!!
CoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had a near-perfect, final day at Edisto Beach.

Lily has gotten bolder with the water......low tide right now is in the afternoon, when the sun is fully up and water seems a bit warmer....she runs and plays with wild abandon, obviously beside-herself-delighted with it all, and does a 4-legged jump into the water that I have previously only seen when she is chasing a small animal in tall grass. Such a sweetie. She has had such a good time, and been a wonderful companion.

The tides confuse me a bit, having never been here so long before. My mind expects low tide in the mornings, for some reason, so high tide at 7:30am seems peculiar....but then the afternoon beach is perfect for pups and small children. A small thing.....a land-locked-life thing.

I just had to begin cleaning the Interstate today....so dirty, in spite of daily efforts. Tanks are dumped and thoroughly flushed....lots of sand found its way into the grey tank.

We will be on the road at daylight in the morning, heading for a car wash and laundromat, to complete the de-sanding and tidying up of our lovely little home on wheels.

It's been relaxing, peaceful and good.

Til next time.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Tides change, advancing by about an hour daily. It depends on where the moon is.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I knew on some level that the tides change, just had not experienced it before.

There was an Airstream from Ontario at the beach campground when I left, also a little Bambi and another AS trailer from somewhere. Didn't see anyone to speak with, just took note.

Laundry done at the very, very nice Summerville Coin Laundry on 17a. An onsite attendant, reasonably priced and very clean. I'll be back here.

Inside still smells like damp dog......need to get those under bench areas vacuumed.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After two weeks at Edisto Beach, I accumulated some beautiful seashells....many of which are quite large, having somehow survived the sea-to-shore transfer intact.

I came across this idea for making candles from shells.....how pretty are these! I have everything I need at home.

They will be lovely mementos from a beloved place.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	234787  
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found a number of these particular shells.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
If you're interested the shell in lower right of your picture is called an olive & it is the SC state shell. Yes useless trivia but what the heck.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for that bit of trivia!

I know they are olives, did not know they are the SC state shell!

I found a lot of them this trip, from tiny to very large.

Maggie