Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
When I use the car on the Mass Pike to & from Boston I usually get at least one A-hole trucker every trip.
I drive the "highway speed" which is usually between 70 to 80 MPH
(It may not be legal, but if you go slower than that you will be in trouble)

Recently I have had a lot of these truckers in the right lane going slow because of a hill and a slower rig in front of it.
The left lane is going "highway speed" and the trucker doing 60 mph or less whips the rig into the left lane forcing people to slam on their breaks and or swerve off the lane.
Besides that, the truck in the left lane is at a walking pace faster than the truck it is passing.

So yes, they are out there, and I am now adjusting my driving to compensate.
When I see the situation staring to unfold, I actually turn on my headlights, and if I can do it safely, I speed up to keep the truck in it's lane and from screwing up the traffic flow.

When in the car, I may be a aggressive driver, but a safe & courteous one to everyone but the idiots.

In the MH I am doing no more than 60 MPH and at the mercy of everyone else, but I stay in the right lane, even if behind someone going slower than my desired speed.
You're dreaming if you think you're "a safe & courteous driver".

Safe, would be passing that slow commercial traffic not too much above their speed. This is an epic fail on your part. We'll thank god to learn you have neither wife nor children depending on your judgment.

Courteous? Cutting off commercial traffic from making a pass? Stop in at your local highway patrol barracks and pose your "solution" to the commander. Slower, heavier traffic is a "condition" to which one adjusts speed just like any other.

Since I've weeks of driving those exact roads the last two years, your kindergarten claim of "well, everyone is speeding" is bull. I've moved around plenty of slower traffic even though I'm below the upper limit.

Try to understand that national highways are designed, built or maintained for commercial traffic. Car driving is frivolous. It can't repay the cost.

And since you don't know how to pass when in that Moho, maybe its best you decline skill enhancement as you've such a long row to hoe on basics. Such as safe operation and courtesy to others.

The idiot waits in your bathroom mirror.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You're dreaming if you think you're "a safe & courteous driver".

Safe, would be passing that slow commercial traffic not too much above their speed. This is an epic fail on your part. We'll thank god to learn you have neither wife nor children depending on your judgment.

Courteous? Cutting off commercial traffic from making a pass? Stop in at your local highway patrol barracks and pose your "solution" to the commander. Slower, heavier traffic is a "condition" to which one adjusts speed just like any other.

Since I've weeks of driving those exact roads the last two years, your kindergarten claim of "well, everyone is speeding" is bull. I've moved around plenty of slower traffic even though I'm below the upper limit.

Try to understand that national highways are designed, built or maintained for commercial traffic. Car driving is frivolous. It can't repay the cost.

And since you don't know how to pass when in that Moho, maybe its best you decline skill enhancement as you've such a long row to hoe on basics. Such as safe operation and courtesy to others.

The idiot waits in your bathroom mirror.

We all have different experiences with the quality of drivers around us. I have been driving the interstates for over 45 years and never been inor caused a accident. In the last few years the quality and/or capabilities of freight haulers has definitely declined.
I am no angle on the highway, I get to where I am gong, and I do all I can to be courteous and safe in my travels, but when a jerk in a truck swerves out in front of me within 100' at a 20 MPH speed difference, making all the traffic dodge the moron, that is a situation I do my best to defuse before it occurs.
As for my speed and passing in the MH, I do 60 and in the right lane, unless there is something worth passing. That is the speed that I get the best MPG and safety factor in 14K of MH weight and another 3K in a trailer.

And finally, your mirror comment is rather immature, but if you need a response, I dont use your bathroom mirror.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
I'll give the thread a split.

Our Loves out on I5 has an Arbys. Really like their roast beef and special sauce. So we stop there on occasion. No problem using the car pumps. Rig parks in a double car space, so that works. Leave the truck side for the truckers. They have a hard enough job without dealing with the holiday travelers.

Now I told you that, to tell you this. While traveling on I40 through Tennessee, we had truckers pull out directly in front of us without signaling. Not at all what we have grown to expect from professionals. The reason was likely that we hold a bit of space between us and the next car. The left lane on that section is wall to wall traffic running at or just above the limit. The trucks need to pass, but can't get out without forcing their way into the left lane. Our practice is to let them in when they turn on a signal, but they don't know or maybe don't care. Too close for comfort on too many occasions. So no I40 in TN for us. Too busy with cars and trucks.

Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat

Some if these "pros" are neither Christian nor can speak English and can be literal slaves chained to the truck, brought over by H1B "family" working peanuts for years to repay "cost" of bringing them over. Welcome to the NEW America!!

Don't get me started on ghetto.

IH40 is something of a funnel. Trucks going East, and others that will turn North. Too many. Lots of regional, not just cross-country. Thus contempt by familiarity also in play.

Cars are flat bad about allowing trucks over in areas with no industry. Selfishness. And, it's always stupid to get ahead of a truck when one could be behind.

Easier to consider that it's a space maintenance problem. Backing off soon becomes second nature when spacing is king. Run five under the posted. Or less. Just below flow.

In a metro area, Lane One is usually forbidden to trucks. Therefore, Lane Two is "the fast lane" they think.

I'd use Lane Three or farther out.

(You don't have a VPP hitch, do you? Times like these when hard braking and rig going askew in tight quarters is when they pay for themselves.)

FWIW, I park my 63' personal rig with the big trucks. But farther out. Never on an end where someone turning could hit it. The truck ingress/egress doesn't have mommy-on-a-phone, either. P

I can only fuel at Loves or Pilot/Flying J. And I love Arby's, ha! McDonalds and Subway burnout takes only a few visits. I can run on Arby's a week, but there aren't many of them in my region.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we use fllying J and Pilot when we can as well. with the GS card you get discount. I do not know if the amount varies based on spending but we currently get .08 off of diesel. what's ahead trucking app is good for seeing what stations are ahead if you are on an interstate. it is a good way to assess the amount of room for you and the TT
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote