Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
San Ramon , California
Looking for RV Campground West of Denver

Hello Everyone,
We are getting down to finalizing our first adventure with our new AS. Travelling west from Ontario towards Denver, then down to southern Utah.
Looking for someplace nice west of Denver.
Would love to hear anyone's suggestions.
Thanks
Kalidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Tiger Run RV resort in Breckenridge is very nice but a bit pricy. Pool, hot tubs, lots of hiking and bike trails. Bike to Frisco in the morning for breakfast at the Butterhorn Bakery & Café. Bike to Breckenridge for early dinner at the Le Petit Paris, Hearthstone or Relish. All three are great dinner dining experiences. I would suggest reservations just to be sure though it is getting slower this time of year. Have safe travels and enjoy your time in Colorado.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I agree re: Tiger Run. They hosted us for the Vintage Airstream club rally a few years ago and it was a very nice place. Beautiful scenery and close to lots of amenities.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
We also stayed there at Tiger Run for a Mini rally in 2012, it is a very nice place but at 60 to 80 dollars a night that's more than pricy. Chatfield State Park south west of Denver is a very nice campground with full hook up's, at a much better price.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are many choices for campgrounds west of Denver. But, Heaton Bay USFS in Silverthorne is on the Dillon Reservoir, just off I70 and close to towns, including Breck.
On the far west end of I70 is James Robb State Park in Fruita which is a convenient stop.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I agree with Jim about Chatfield SP. It's nice and the scenery is pretty good , too. We stayed at the Silt KOA west of Denver in late June. It's a newish place but shade trees are very small yet. We didn't use any of their facilities so I can't sat how they are.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
My suggestion is that you head south out of Denver to Walsenburg, where you pick up US 160 and head west. There is no shortage of campgrounds beyond as you cross the mountainous areas of southern Colorado, as many here will attest.
Lynn
Old 09-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . and in case you didn't know, Mr Eubank has a nice campground in Angel Fire, NM, a beautiful area of Northern NM. ( He has too much class to mention it himself)....travel Safe, & look in on a 4CU rally if able, we DO have a good time. . .Craig
Old 09-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I stayed at Heaton Bay USFS on Dillon Lake back in June. Some sites have water/elec. Here are some photos of my campsite, C39. This one has water and electricity. The only negatives to say about this campground is you can hear some road noise from I70 and the pine bark beetles have decimated the trees that is why it appears so open.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1680721

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Spring , Texas
Kalidas, I have a site at Tiger Run. Since this is your inaugural trip you are more than welcome to stay at my site as my guest. When are you travelling? The site is booked in September but there is availability in October. Let me know and I will reserve the site for you. Welcome to the airstream family.

Lyle rathwell@woodlandslaw.com
lrathwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidas View Post
Hello Everyone,
We are getting down to finalizing our first adventure with our new AS. Travelling west from Ontario towards Denver, then down to southern Utah.
Looking for someplace nice west of Denver.
Would love to hear anyone's suggestions.
Thanks
Two places west of Denver. 1.) The City of Golden has an RV Park. Sometimes it can be difficult to get a sport. However, this is in between travel seasons you may be able to find space. They have a web site under the City of Golden. 2.) Further west perhaps 7 - 8 miles is the Chief Hosa Campground. It is just off I-70 at about the 251 mile marker.
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Golden Gate Canyon State Park west of Golden is very nice. Electric hookups, but no water hookups, although water is available in the campground. There is a dump station there as well. You can reserve at reserveamerica.com, although you shouldn't have a problem this time of year.
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
George & Kathy

2007 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
St. Martinville , Louisiana
Look up Priest Gulch campground on Hwy 145. We have stayed here for 5 months months weather has been great. The elevation is 8100 ft.
Silver Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
Colorado Campgrounds, South-west

Heaton Bay on Lake Dillon is one of our favorites. Requires reservations on all sites. There are several CG in this area around the lake.

Rifle Falls SP has electric hookups. Located just north of Rifle, off I-70. Very scenic. Dump station at rest area off I-70 at Rifle exit.

Further west and south off US 50, the Black Canyon NP has 3 loops, one with electric. Very scenic! Then a little south of there on 550, Ridgeway State Park.
All sites have electric. 2 locations here. Water and dump station. Again, very scenic and close to Ouray, lovely town.

Then along US 50, we also favor the area north of Gunnison on 135 to Almont, then north-east on 742 along the Taylor River. Several NF campgrounds in this area. Many have electric hookups. Lottis Creek and Lake View are our favorites.

All roads to the above areas are paved and in good condition. I-70 is being repaired in several places west of Denver and is a little rough.

Hope this helps!
coloradopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Another vote for Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Beautiful area to stay a few nights.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Not an rv park but a free town park....
The little town of Empire allows camping in their city park. They have 110 volt power and water. It's little used, and very nice. It's a 40 minute drive west if Denver, very close to Georgetown.

Register with the local police chief.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
We also stayed there at Tiger Run for a Mini rally in 2012, it is a very nice place but at 60 to 80 dollars a night that's more than pricy. Chatfield State Park south west of Denver is a very nice campground with full hook up's, at a much better price.
I've never been to Chatfield, but it's one that I was looking at it because they are supposed to give discounts to Disabled Veterans. Army Corp of Engineers either built this lake, maintains it, or has something to do with it.

I acquired an *America The Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands* Access Pass, years ago when it was called a "Golden Pass".

Chatfield State Park
Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Chatfield

Clicking on a state in this map will show you Army Corp of Engineers Lake campgrounds.
www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway

Summary of Recreation Fee Discount Passes that the Army Corp of Engineers is authorized to issue, sell, or accept.
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...ount-chart.pdf

National and Federal Access Pass for Permanent Disability
America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

The other campground we looked at was Cherry Creek. It is also an Army Corp of Engineers project.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Cherry Creek

BTW, Normal full hook prices for either of these places are $26 a night during the summer, and $24 a night off season, (beginning 9/30)

3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
We love the Taylor lake area north east of Gunnison. We stayed in both Lakeview campgrounds this summer. We had a serious medical event and the two sets of camp hosts were helping at every step of the situation. I could not have ask for a better group of kind, caring people. I will forever be grateful for the degree of skill with which they handled the situation.
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
San Ramon , California
OMG....Lyle....that is an incredible offer!!!
Wow...not sure how to even reply to it.....
Yes, this is our first adventure. We pick up our trailer on October 1st in Ottawa, Ontario. We have never owned a trailer, never mind an AS.
The community here on the Airforums have been incredibly helpful with tonnes of information, ideas, and answering every single, silly question I have had over the past 2 month.
Plan on hitting the road November 1st. Don't think we will be getting to Colorado till November 4th or 5th. What is the weather like there the first week of November? I think that is the determining factor as to how long we will stay in CO. Plan on making our way down to Zion and then to Joshua tree, before a conference we are attending the 3 week of November in SF.
Any information you could share would be very much appreciated.
Thank you so much again.
Kalidas
Kalidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
I live at 9000' in Colorado. I would not want to pull a trailer on I-70 through the Rockies in November. You may have bright sunny skies, or you could just as easily encounter a heavy, wet snowstorm.

Mountain driving can be treacherous this time of year. Your planned arrival time here is a mere 10 days before most major ski resorts open.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote