Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Plug in the location you're curious about here (this is the info everyone uses to make their best weather guess)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...7#.VfQ8NZm9Kc1
For Colorado roads plug in the one you want to know about. It's pretty accurate and Colorado is really good about trying to keep the roads plowed.
http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm
If you do hit inclement weather, take it easy - we hate cleaning up crumpled vehicles on the side of the road in a snow drift.
It's really easy to drive in snow once you get used to it. In the 70s as a volunteer ski patrol I drove my rear wheel drive muscle car to work no matter the road conditions - but I'd never do it now, too many people on the road who don't know how to drive in snow.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
We travel roundtrip from Denver to AZ every year over Christmas/New Years and Spring Break. It is very hit and miss with the snow. A few times it has been very snow packed with 12-24" high snow right up against the drive lane. It is why I drive a 4x4. If you don't have 4x4 you might want a set of chains, or better yet wait till it is clear. If it is bad Dakota Ridge RV Resort is right off I-70 & Colfax right before you start the climb. It can also turn the shinny trailer into one big yucky mess that you need to clean off as soon as possible. The other consideration is it will most likely be freezing especially at night so you will need to be prepared to heat tape and insulate your water line. Make sure your fresh tank is empty and put RV antifreeze in your grey and black tank. I would flush with antifreeze till you get to warmth. If you take Lyle up on his Tiger Run RV Site it is right across the street from the club/pool house so you can use the facilities there and not need to hook the water up.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Kalidas, I recommend joining the Good Sam Club and using their online listing of all campgrounds. The old print version was considered essential decades ago (as were other organizations like Woodalls etc.). Their rating system has proved to be accurate in my experience, with one aspect (bathroom cleanliness) of particular interest to many travelers.

GS has a new Trip Planner function which works pretty well, which lets you set basic way points you want to hit, then adjust a search function width for everything within a certain distance of your route.

PS -- The Good Sam listings include lots of little inexpensive state and federal parks, which are fun to discover and check out. Many are very close to one's planned route, but not advertised at all, so would be easy to miss. Some of my favorite overnights on the road have been at these small inexpensive parks.

PS2 -- edit -- just read more of this thread, and ditto to the advice that November is no time to dilly dally in the Rockies. I would head south as quickly as you can. The weather will dictate your route and timing . . . IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #24

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
150 miles west of Denver is no name city. Rv campground was beautiful, right on the Colorado River

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like Lyle's offer at Tiger Run is a good bet.

If that doesn't work out for some reason, that campground in the City of Golden is here: Clear Creek RV Park | City of Golden, Colorado

They were very nice to us last April, though we didn't get the chance to stay with them. We got snowed out!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote