Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Longest stretch of road with no gas stations

And there I was:
Westbound I-70 just after going over The Hill, traveling from Green River Utah to Salina, UT, there is a stretch with no...nothing. Gas stations, restaurants, potty break opportunities (except of course for the one you're towing) are non-existent for 104 miles along that stretch.
What is available in abundance is some of the best vista Kodak moment photo ops you will ever see.
Just make sure to fill up at the Loves station in Green River, despite their highway robbery fuel prices.
I'm sure there are longer stretches of road like this, and I think it would benefit us all to hear about 'em.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Slightly shorter at just over 93 miles, but the stretch of highway 17 between Pancake Bay Provincial Park and the town of Wawa in Ontario, Canada doesn't have a gas station. It's quite hilly by Ontario standards and the views are amazing. Old Woman Bay is one of my favourite places I've seen in Canada so far. The hiking and canoeing in Lake Superior Provincial Park is awesome. Camping at either Pancake or Agawa Bay campgrounds is a must as is a visit to see the pictographs. So is the obligatory photo op at the big goose.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
And there I was:
Westbound I-70 just after going over The Hill, traveling from Green River Utah to Salina, UT, there is a stretch with no...nothing. Gas stations, restaurants, potty break opportunities (except of course for the one you're towing) are non-existent for 104 miles along that stretch.
What is available in abundance is some of the best vista Kodak moment photo ops you will ever see.
Just make sure to fill up at the Loves station in Green River, despite their highway robbery fuel prices.
I'm sure there are longer stretches of road like this, and I think it would benefit us all to hear about 'em.

We drove that stretch last summer and at the end we were lower than I was comfortable. I always carry a 5 gallon tank of gas in the pack of the pickup on our long trips.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
US 6 between Tonopah and Ely Nevada - 168 miles of nuttin.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It has been a long time, but I used to drive from Corpus Christi, TX down to the Rio Grande Valley along the border with Mexico. There was a stretch there that was over 100 miles, and plenty of warning signs to fill your tank before hitting the highway. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I believe the official "winner" of this contest is a road in eastern Canada. It heads up into the arctic and essentially has no services on it until you get to the end of the road. Something like 250 miles (?).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
[QUOTE=drmox;2568892]And there I was:
I'm sure there are longer stretches of road like this, and I think it would benefit us all to hear about 'em.[/Q

Due to high winds while towing we nearly ran out of fuel on this same stretch. We took a gamble leaving I70 to look for fuel in Emery (15 mi) where the only gas station in town was closed and had only gasoline at the islands. Dejected we drove down side street to make a U-turn with our trailer, that's when we saw a single diesel pump behind the building along the alley. Quite relieved that we could pay @ pump.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
US Hwy 50 across Nevada. Known as "the Loneliest Road in America". It is 400 miles of sand and not much else. Make sure your tank is full when you leave I-15 in Utah. It travels through Great Basin National Park. There are a couple of small settlements along the way. Everything was closed when We travelled it a few years ago. We arrived in Fallon Nevada at sunset with my fuel gauge Just above empty.
There are a number of articles online about this highway.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Strong suggestion for those with Diesel Trucks.

We had far too many "range anxiety" moments in the last year! Most memorable was a similar drive where the only gas station was on a triangular property with a single entrance and exit - ane ONE diesel pump. After hanging our coach in the traffic lane, doing a 27 point U-turn in the lot, then clearing another fuel lane to get out - I swore never again!

We had a "plug and play" larger fuel tank from S&B installed that increased our capacity from 36 to 60 gallons (and it drops into the same spot, even allowing the FX4 guards to go back in place! No loss of bed space) and I wish I'd done it much sooner! They even have a way to re-program your computer so it reflects your new range - nearly 1,000 mile, with a trailer! Absolute best upgrade ever!!!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So 1,000 miles on 60 gallons is just about 17 MPG. That seems a bit high with a 27' trailer ... I get an 800 or so number up on the display (on a bit smaller "big tank"). That's based on the MPG running without the trailer.

Bob
Old 01-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I believe the official "winner" of this contest is a road in eastern Canada. It heads up into the arctic and essentially has no services on it until you get to the end of the road. Something like 250 miles (?).

Bob
I believe it's South of the Arctic Circle and travels through parts of the Province of Quebec and the Labrador section of the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador.
The Truck King YouTube channel has an OK video of them testing out Tundras on part of it.
While I've visited Labrador by air, I've yet to drive there. I've road tripped in Quebec and would highly recommend Tadoussac. We plan to drive to the very end of that road someday.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Thanks to covid restrictions we haven't been down there for a while, but we used to drive that stretch of I-90 between Salina and Green River, Utah, fairly often.

For cheaper gas, we'd suggest taking the business route through Green River, or heading north just a bit in Salina into town. We used to gas up at Holly's Pantry. Not much time lost.

Also, for the ladies: the pit toilets at the scenic turn outs used to be fairly disgusting. Suggest using the flush toilets at the gas station.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It wasn't the distance, but the mindset that almost got me. As an "East Coaster" I fell in the trap that there's always an exit five miles away. Once out west you learn that's not always true.
I was leaving Gillette, Wy headed to Sheridan, Wy on I-90. I had a quarter tank of fuel. I thought, "I'd like to find my brand, I'll try one more exit." Then I passed the sign, "Next exit 65 miles" Oh, crap.
I was certain I'd be pushing the rig. There were off ramps, leading to destitute looking ranches. I considered trying to buy five gallons from the owner, but I pushed on.
Amazingly, I made it, and the first station had about 40 cars waiting to fuel up at confiscatory prices. I said, "Never again" but I have.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We normally use US36 when headed west to Colorado from central Illinois. Love that drive!
But there is a pretty long stretch without fuel available when leaving St Francis KS headed west. Not sure of the mileage but we were warned on one of our first trips that way. In general though, US 36 is a wonderful alternative to I70 if you don’t mind taking the time to pass through lots of small towns along the way. You’ll get a completely different view of western Kansas, it’s really beautiful with its rolling hills. I had always thought that Kansas was kinda ugly and boring to drive through until we discovered this alternative route. I guess at one time, just like US66 was famous for the quickest route from Chicago to LA, US36 was the fastest route between Indianapolis and Denver.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
Having grown up in rural west Texas, keeping an eye on the fuel gauge is almost second nature. Despite that, there were a couple of instances where I was running on fumes before I arrived at an open gas station. And thankfully, they were gasoline fumes, otherwise I woulda been dead by the side of the road. You really had to fill up at every opportunity in the land of wide open nothing, because rural gas stations were usually operated by mom and pop and today is their day to see the doctor and buy groceries.

Nowadays, though, I see new stores opening in places where there has never ever been a store, and tons of traffic where a car per hour used to be the norm.

I still start looking for fuel when the gauge approaches the half mark.

The times, they are a-changing.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
I hate that feeling

Soon after traveling remote roads in far eastern Oregon and down the roads through Nevada and nervous about not seeing vehicles for ½ - 1 hour, I learned a lesson in these areas (and some places in Utah, Wyoming and Montana and parts of Idaho) - “never pass up a gas station”. I did pass a lonely one in Fields, OR by a couple miles and told myself to listen to that lesson, so I turned back and filled up. Glad we did because the road west along the OR/NV border to Lakeview, CA was the “high lonesome”.

I do love these remote roads where it is just pavement heading somewhere. Usually no power/tele lines, no houses or buildings seen, maybe not even fences. Once in a long stretch a dirt road heading out to some ranch out of sight. Though I do worry “if I ever have a break down…please not around here”.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
US 6 between Tonopah and Ely Nevada - 168 miles of nuttin.
That is a fact..nuttin
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
One of the least friendly roads in North America is the 414 mile Dalton Highway aka the Haul Road. Northern terminus is a few miles from the Arctic Ocean

Built to supply the Alaska pipeline, it has a stretch of 240 miles between gas stations.

Not a common drive for members of this forum.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Mpg

I was getting 13.4 then 3 Ford emission and transmission updates and I struggle to get 12.8 to a gallon pulling the trailer . Of course they never tell you what has been updated or altered. Probably more choking EGR gas stuffed into the cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

So 1,000 miles on 60 gallons is just about 17 MPG. That seems a bit high with a 27' trailer ... I get an 800 or so number up on the display (on a bit smaller "big tank"). That's based on the MPG running without the trailer.

Bob
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
I was getting 13.4 then 3 Ford emission and transmission updates and I struggle to get 12.8 to a gallon pulling the trailer . Of course they never tell you what has been updated or altered. Probably more choking EGR gas stuffed into the cylinders.
Hi

Twelve point something sounds about right pulling a 30' in reasonably normal conditions.

Bob