Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
I believe it's South of the Arctic Circle and travels through parts of the Province of Quebec and the Labrador section of the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador.
The Truck King YouTube channel has an OK video of them testing out Tundras on part of it.
While I've visited Labrador by air, I've yet to drive there. I've road tripped in Quebec and would highly recommend Tadoussac. We plan to drive to the very end of that road someday.
Hi

Ok, I looked it up. The official name of the road is the Trans Tiga. A quick summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Taiga_Road

Apparently the degree to which it "wins" the competition is dependent on various folks happen to be open for business. Mid summer would appear to be a better bet than late January

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I drove from Needles, CA to Twentynine Palms, ca in 2018 via US 95 and CA 62. The distance is 142 miles without any place to get water, food or fuel. Never having been on this route before, I expected to find at least one fuel stop on the route but nada. I was a little anxious about my fuel status, should have fueled up in Needles but thought I had plenty at the time. I made it to Twentynine Palms but didn't have much fuel to spare by the time I got there.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I believe the official "winner" of this contest is a road in eastern Canada. It heads up into the arctic and essentially has no services on it until you get to the end of the road. Something like 250 miles (?).

Bob
That would be the Dalton Hwy from Coldfoot Prudhoe Bay. We flew to Coldfoot from Fairbanks a few years ago, just to say we had been in the Artic Circle. Our tour of the area included a stop at the Truck stop which is the last gas for 250 miles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
That would be the Dalton Hwy from Coldfoot Prudhoe Bay. We flew to Coldfoot from Fairbanks a few years ago, just to say we had been in the Artic Circle. Our tour of the area included a stop at the Truck stop which is the last gas for 250 miles.
Hi

Actually I believe that the Trans Tiga has them beat. The distance (in winter) is well over the 250 miles I had remembered.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #25

2015 27' FB International
ladysmith , British Columbia
Quote:
I believe it's South of the Arctic Circle and travels through parts of the Province of Quebec and the Labrador section of the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador.
The Truck King YouTube channel has an OK video of them testing out Tundras on part of it.
While I've visited Labrador by air, I've yet to drive there. I've road tripped in Quebec and would highly recommend Tadoussac. We plan to drive to the very end of that road someday.
Dawson to Eagle Plains on the Dempster highway to the arctic is the longest stretch I have done. 408km or 253 miles of unbeatable scenery and grandeur. But definitely no gas stations. There is a park exhibition centre on the way where they often have a pot of tea on the go. From Eagle Plains to Inuvik is a bit better (366km with two ferries) in terms on gas stations.you can fill up in Fort Macpherson after the first 182km. I have never done the 500 between Labrador city and Red Bay Newfoundland. It may have longer stretches without a break.
robertsondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
In this category, our vote would be for the Dempster Highway, from Dawson City in the Yukon, up to Inuvik in the Northwest Territories. Stunning, stunning, stunning. But beware - it is over 300 miles (one way) on a gravel road, and your rig will be filthy. There is one gas station along the way in Eagle (population 9), but other than that - not so much. Bring everything you'll need, and drive slow.

https://travelwiththeslowskys.com/20...ers-june-2017/
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #27
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
The Dempster is the longest I’ve read about. It now goes on up to Tuktoyaktuk. That makes it all the way to the Arctic Ocean. I’ve done the Dalton up to Deadhorse, but it stops short of the Arctic Ocean. About half gravel from Fairbanks to Deadhorse, but not bad if you catch it while it’s dry. There are at least two gas stops in the 500 miles each way.
I’d like to ride (motorcycle) up to Tuktoyaktuk, but it’s a tough trip if it’s wet. Not sure at 68 if I have it in me.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Having lived in the west for 43 years, I am used to buying gas when available when I am about to drive through remote areas. When towing, I have 5 gallons of gas in the pickup bed, but through we have traveled all over the US and Canada, I only had to use it in central Montana. That’s even with the Tundra’s relatively small gas tank.

Like most everyone, I have had to turn around when I’ve driven through some small town looking for the best fuel prices and have watched the gauge nervously at times. Probably the most nerve racking highway we’ve been on is the Dalton with the long, long distance between Coldfoot and Dead Horse on the Arctic Ocean. The irony is you’re driving next to the Alaska oil pipeline, but can’t get a drink.

The Utah desert along I-70 is pretty devoid of services, but there are more between the Colorado state line and Green River than there used to be several years ago. Just about all of Green River’s gas stations are tourist priced and we have stopped at the small Pilot on town and bought propane there too a few times. The trip across Nevada on US 50 is a challenge, but we just buy gas when it is there. Last time we were in Austin—old mining town in the middle of the highway between larger towns—it took a long time before the credit card reader would work at one station.

Will there be a network of electrical outlets along all these highways when we have more electric vehicles? Will the power lines in little towns be able to handle the draw from 10 cars and trucks charging up? While transitioning from gas and diesel to electric, will gas stations go out of business because of declining business while millions still drive gas or diesel vehicles?

It is also possible to run out of fuel where there are plenty of stations. Looking for your favorite brand, looking for the lowest prices, looking for stations that you can get a trailer into. One time driving from Calgary west, we had avoided getting gas the day before because it was snowing and we wanted to get the tank pretty low before we had to pay Canada gas prices. We left a CG on the west side of Calgary in the morning figuring there would be plenty of stations around Banff. Banff is not on the highway and I passed it figuring there would be stations closer to the highway. None of that was a good decision. There was another small town just off the highway and it featured a narrow main street with small gas stations with lots of traffic and cars parked narrowing entrances and exits. Then I realized I had blown it several times and had to take my punishment and somehow maneuver into a badly designed gas station. I got into one station. The area was narrow and crowded, but I could narrowly squeeze between one pump and the building, but had to back out avoiding first a large dumpster, then threading my way back into traffic while still backing with Barb guiding me and stopping traffic. It takes a lesson like that to make sure you get gas more often.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think there are one or more gas stations along the Dempster other than the CG/motel/restaurant at Eagle. It is has been quite a while since we drove to Inuvik, but I remember a town just north of a ferry across a river (probably the MacKenzie) with gas. There was no road to Tuk’ then. When we drove north, it was drizzling for two days—best to do the trip over two days—and the Dempster was slick, but very well maintained. That was my first experience with automatic skid control—I corrected at the same time the SUV did and thus “we” overcorrected. That was scary while going down a two mile hill, but I let the SUV recorrect. I think that was in 2006.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:57 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Littleton , Colorado
Fifteen years ago my daughter & I were coming back from the Grand Canyon, Bryce & Zion on that stretch and I thought we had plenty of gas to make it to Green River. But a strong headwind cut the mileage way down. Nearly empty, I pulled over and poured our remaining half gallon of Coleman fuel into the gas tank. I put our Volvo 850 Turbo wagon into neutral and coasted down the steep grade hitting 90 mph (not towing anything). The fuel computer read zero as we saw Green River up ahead. We made it but an experience daughter remembers vividly to this day.
Blind Wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Did the folks that mention the Dempster tow your AS up there and back? Did you take any extra precautions to protect the trailer? Did you sustain any damage? Appreciate the feedback.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sault ste marie , Ontario
Quote:
Slightly shorter at just over 93 miles, but the stretch of highway 17 between Pancake Bay Provincial Park and the town of Wawa in Ontario, Canada doesn't have a gas station. It's quite hilly by Ontario standards and the views are amazing. Old Woman Bay is one of my favourite places I've seen in Canada so far. The hiking and canoeing in Lake Superior Provincial Park is awesome. Camping at either Pancake or Agawa Bay campgrounds is a must as is a visit to see the pictographs. So is the obligatory photo op at the big goose.

please note gas at Pancake is only available in the summer. that closes early fall for all winter. gas is then only available between Goulais River (where i live, God's country) and Wawa, 200 kms or 124 miles
travelux1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Distance Sans Service

You’ll find the northeast corner of California lightly sprinkled with towns, but gas stations—PUBLIC gas stations—few and far between.

This was a few years back, and things do change, not always for the better. You’ve seen them, small towns with one or two abandoned motels and what used to be a gas station with pumps pulled and the faint outlines of a Shell or Flying A.

In panic because I’d been running on empty too long and the town I was coursing, like the one before it, had no gas station, I pulled up and knocked on a few doors. “Where do you folks get gas?” seemed a reasonable question, but there was a reluctance to answer this unexpected stranger.

Oh, the locals had their source, off the main drag, behind a nondescript Used Goods.

I rang a doorbell, one, two, three times and waited. When finally acknowledged—by a sleepy, haggard face through a dingy screen door—I unfolded my wallet expecting to pay double or triple.

It wasn’t about the money. It was a sad story of a small-town operator going out of business for lack of sales, with the shrinking local demand insufficient when backed up with fluctuating seasonal demand.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:14 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
And there I was:
Westbound I-70 just after going over The Hill, traveling from Green River Utah to Salina, UT, there is a stretch with no...nothing. Gas stations, restaurants, potty break opportunities (except of course for the one you're towing) are non-existent for 104 miles along that stretch.
What is available in abundance is some of the best vista Kodak moment photo ops you will ever see.
Just make sure to fill up at the Loves station in Green River, despite their highway robbery fuel prices.
I'm sure there are longer stretches of road like this, and I think it would benefit us all to hear about 'em.
Been there. We were coming from the West on 70 headed for Goblin Valley state park. Our AS was a small Sport 16 but our tow vehicle was a Volvo XC90 plug in hybrid. With a 13 gallon gas tank, the range is something like 170-180 miles when towing. When we reached the 24 turnoff from 70 to Goblin we had just just about half a tank. It was deep dusk. Rather than make the prudent choice and take the 10 mile side trip to Green River to fill up then backtrack goblin, we foolishly decide to go for our destination. About half way between 70 and Goblin Valley, we realized our mistake - we might not make it back to
Green Valley in the morning. Still we forged on, anxiously watching the gas gauge while the sun dipped below the horizon. The net day, after briefly enjoying the sites at Goblin, we decided to unhook the trailer, make the 50 mile run to Green River with normal hybrid mileage, then return to pick up the trailer and then continue East on 70 to our home in Boulder.

This one event motivated us to buy an F150 pickup to tow. Mileage not quite as good as the Volvo, but probably twice the range.
dmatzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I think there are one or more gas stations along the Dempster other than the CG/motel/restaurant at Eagle. It is has been quite a while since we drove to Inuvik, but I remember a town just north of a ferry across a river (probably the MacKenzie) with gas. There was no road to Tuk’ then. When we drove north, it was drizzling for two days—best to do the trip over two days—and the Dempster was slick, but very well maintained. That was my first experience with automatic skid control—I corrected at the same time the SUV did and thus “we” overcorrected. That was scary while going down a two mile hill, but I let the SUV recorrect. I think that was in 2006.
Did you tow your AS up there and back? Did you take any extra precautions to protect the trailer? Did you sustain any damage? Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:31 AM   #36
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Did the folks that mention the Dempster tow your AS up there and back? Did you take any extra precautions to protect the trailer? Did you sustain any damage? Appreciate the feedback.
I’ve been on the Dalton, which I’ve been told is a much milder version of the Dempster. I would not take my AS on the Dalton. Maybe up to the Arctic Circle, just to say I did it. They coat the roads with a calcium type solution to keep the dust down. I had it on parts of my motorcycle that hardened like concrete. I don’t know how you’d keep it off the trailer, unless you happened to go up when it was exceptionally dry, and no road construction. Which I’m not sure is possible.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:26 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Monterey , California
in between Eli And Tonopah is Lunar Crater. We dragged the airstream there….twice.
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Under the “seems like it” category, any road where the tank is getting low and my navigator is pushing for a stop!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Quote:
Slightly shorter at just over 93 miles, but the stretch of highway 17 between Pancake Bay Provincial Park and the town of Wawa in Ontario, Canada doesn't have a gas station. It's quite hilly by Ontario standards and the views are amazing. Old Woman Bay is one of my favourite places I've seen in Canada so far. The hiking and canoeing in Lake Superior Provincial Park is awesome. Camping at either Pancake or Agawa Bay campgrounds is a must as is a visit to see the pictographs. So is the obligatory photo op at the big goose.
You forgot to mention the 2 old Cop cars w/Dummies inside placed along the route to get folks to stop driving over 100 mph.
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:16 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamm511 View Post
You forgot to mention the 2 old Cop cars w/Dummies inside placed along the route to get folks to stop driving over 100 mph.
Where abouts is that? I've never noticed them! LOL